SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rehnquist Will Stay on Supreme Court

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Rehnquist Will Stay on Supreme Court Reply with quote

I didn't see this posted here today, but thought it worth a comment

Quote:
Rehnquist Says He'll Stay on Supreme Court
By RON FOURNIER and GINA HOLLAND, Associated Press Writers
Thu Jul 14,11:48 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Squelching rumors of his retirement, Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist said Thursday he will continue heading the Supreme Court while battling thyroid cancer. "I'm not about to announce my retirement," he said.

"I want to put to rest the speculation and unfounded rumors of my imminent retirement," Rehnquist, 80, said in a statement first disclosed by The Associated Press and later confirmed by the court. "I will continue to perform my duties as chief justice as long as my health permits."

Rehnquist issued the statement hours after being released from an Arlington, Va., hospital after being treated for two days with a fever.

President Bush had not been informed in advance about Rehnquist' statement but the White House welcomed the chief justice's announcement.

Cont'd AP

This is good!
I am thankful that Justice Rehnquist has such a devotion to seeing a conservative Court that he will stay on.
This gives the President an easier time appointing a solid constitutionalist to replace O'Conner without a lot of bargaining.
When it looked like Rehnquist would retire, I was concerned
about having TWO openings at the same time, raising the opportunity of the Libs seeming REASONABLE in
saying we'll give you one and you give us one.
It's just easier to take on one battle at a time.

Rehnquist may have been swayed by the appalling display of the four female senators asking Justice O'Conner
to stay on the Court as Chief Justice.
WHAAAT!!! How very presumptuous of them, before Rehnquist has even
announced his retirement!!

God Bless You, Justice Rehnquist. I know your cancer and treatment must be very difficult.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Honorable Justice Rehnquist will retire when he thinks the time is right and not before. He has something some of the others on the court and most of the Liberals lack and as well as some notable RINOs .

It has been called WISDOM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: