SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NYC Immigrants Wearing T-Shirts : No Consent to Search

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: NYC Immigrants Wearing T-Shirts : No Consent to Search Reply with quote

Talk about taking advantage of the freedoms this country has offered them. I guess they'd rather be blown up.

drudge:

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0530,weblee,66189,5.html

Quote:
NYers to NYPD: 'I Do Not Consent to Being Searched'

Quote:
by Chisun Lee
July 21st, 2005 6:36 PM

Reacting to the NYPD's announcement Thursday afternoon that police would randomly—but routinely—search the bags of commuters, one concerned New Yorker quickly created a way for civil libertarians to make their views black-and-white.
In a few outraged moments, local immigrant rights activist Tony Lu designed t-shirts bearing the text, "i do not consent to being searched." The minimalist protest-wear can be purchased here, in various styles and sizes. (Lu will not get a cut. The shirts' manufacture, sale, and shipment, will be handled by the online retailer. Lu encourages budget-conscious New Yorkers to make their own and wear them everywhere.)

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly had announced the legally obvious—that New Yorkers are free to decline a search and "turn around and leave." But Lu, who is a lawyer at Urban Justice Center, warned that even well-intentioned cops could interpret people's natural nervousness or anger as "reasonable suspicion." The possibility of unjustified interrogation and even arrest is real, Lu said.

Although police promised they would not engage in racial profiling, Lu said that, as with all street-level policing, people of color and poor immigrants would be particularly vulnerable, especially if encounters lead to arrests. go to next article in news ->
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"People of color and poor immigrants would be particularly vulnerable", gimme a break, just what Planet is this Moonbat from? I seem to remember well over 2,000 (including "people of color and poor immigrants") murdered by Islamo-facists 9/11 in NYC. I hope the NYPD cuts out the *****-footing PC and does what needs to be done...PROFILING when scanning for terrorist homocide bombers. Just when was the last time a elderly white female blew herself up for Allah?
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have the Constitutional Right right to not consent to a search.

The NYPD has the right to refuse them access to the city vehicle if they refuse. No to a search and you will be walking from Queens to Manhattan.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need several New Yorkers sporting their own T-shirts;

"NO SEARCH - NO RIDE"
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
They need several New Yorkers sporting their own T-shirts;

"NO SEARCH - NO RIDE"

I love it! Smile
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: NYC Immigrants Wearing T-Shirts : No Consent to Search Reply with quote

So ask for their citizenship papers. If our laws afford the same rights to an illegal as they do to a citizen then the law should be changed.

Rdtf wrote:
Talk about taking advantage of the freedoms this country has offered them. I guess they'd rather be blown up.

drudge:

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0530,weblee,66189,5.html

Quote:
NYers to NYPD: 'I Do Not Consent to Being Searched'

Quote:
by Chisun Lee
July 21st, 2005 6:36 PM

Reacting to the NYPD's announcement Thursday afternoon that police would randomly—but routinely—search the bags of commuters, one concerned New Yorker quickly created a way for civil libertarians to make their views black-and-white.
In a few outraged moments, local immigrant rights activist Tony Lu designed t-shirts bearing the text, "i do not consent to being searched." The minimalist protest-wear can be purchased here, in various styles and sizes. (Lu will not get a cut. The shirts' manufacture, sale, and shipment, will be handled by the online retailer. Lu encourages budget-conscious New Yorkers to make their own and wear them everywhere.)

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly had announced the legally obvious—that New Yorkers are free to decline a search and "turn around and leave." But Lu, who is a lawyer at Urban Justice Center, warned that even well-intentioned cops could interpret people's natural nervousness or anger as "reasonable suspicion." The possibility of unjustified interrogation and even arrest is real, Lu said.

Although police promised they would not engage in racial profiling, Lu said that, as with all street-level policing, people of color and poor immigrants would be particularly vulnerable, especially if encounters lead to arrests. go to next article in news ->
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

even well-intentioned cops could interpret people's natural nervousness or anger as "reasonable suspicion." The possibility of unjustified interrogation and even arrest is real, Lu said.

If the shoe fits...

I would rather be fingerprinted, searched and questioned as a citizen of the USA than to allow would be terrorists roam free... at least I know it would be safer. It might be an inconvenience to common law abiding citizens, but it is well worth it.

There is friction going on here in Japan about the government starting fingerprinting all foreigners and putting the print on our ID card... If people are law abiding, then what do they have to worry about? Why would they be embarrassed if a cop comes up and asks to see the ID card unless there is something to hide? I for one am all for it and will willingly allow them to see what they ask for. One way or another it will make it a safer place (wherever that might be).

MJ
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgot to mention that we used to have to get the fingerprint on our ID here up until about 5 years ago.. enough of the foreigners complained that it was 'discrimination'.... I can't understand why these types of people can't see the overall picture Confused

MJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: