SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone know good site to learn about affects of Agent Orange

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Anyone know good site to learn about affects of Agent Orange Reply with quote

my school friend has Agent Orange.... I'd like to learn more about how it does / will affect his (looks like possibly 'our' life). anyone have any good websites on it?

thanks,
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here ya go Stevie:

http://www1.va.gov/agentorange/

http://www.vvnw.org/Educational_Material/agent_orange.htm
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you, unless your friend is a liscensed applier of hazardous chemicals ...... he has no buisness having this stuff.

Here are some agricultural links to look at. That's real powerfull stuff and he or she should certainly not be using it. Ask them if they have a Hazmat suit?

Quote:
Agent Orange was a 50-50 mix of two chemicals, known conventionally as 2,4,D and 2,4,5,T. The combined product was mixed with kerosene or diesel fuel and dispersed by aircraft, vehicle, and hand spraying. An estimated 19 million gallons of Agent Orange were used in South Vietnam during the war.

http://www.lewispublishing.com/orange.htm
Quote:

Cancer
Phenoxy acid herbicides have been linked with soft tissue sarcomas, but the UK ACP has concluded that 'the data do not suggest a positive link with 2,4-D'14 as have the Canadian authorities(15). However, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified 2,4-D among the phenoxy acid herbicides MCPA and 2,4,5-T as a class 2B carcinogen-possibly carcinogenic to humans(16) (concluding that there was limited evidence in humans, inadequate evidence in animals).

The US authorities have also been reluctant to declare 2,4-D as a potential human carcinogen, but the US courts decided that a forestry worker contracted cancer and died as a direct result of his exposure to 2,4-D during the course of his work(17).

One concern about 2,4-D has related to dioxin contamination. 2,4-D was in the past frequently co-formulated with the herbicide 2,4,5-T. Production of 2,4,5-T was contaminated with the carcinogenic dioxin TCDD. Those who were exposed to the mixed formulations might therefore have been exposed to TCDD. The most notorious mixed formulation was Agent Orange, used first by the UK military in Malaysia and later extensively by the US military to defoliate jungle regions in Vietnam. In the UK, 2,4-D + 2,4,5-T formulations were in use until 1994(1Cool. 2,4-D has been produced with contaminant dioxins, but not the harmful TCDD(19).

Reproductive effects
Abnormal foetal skeletal development, increased foetal mortality and other reproductive effects are fairly conclusively associated with exposure to phenoxy-acid herbicide and their dioxin contaminants(20).

2,4-D has also been classified as an endocrine disrupter(21), and significant chromosomal damage occurred in human cells cultured in the presence of 2,4-D. At the same time no evidence for mutagenicity has been found and 2,4-D did not damage DNA in human lung cells(22).

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/24d.htm

Aggriculturaly there are times to use this stuff. However you are at risk unless you are educated in the correct use therein.\

Should be wearing something like this:
http://www.westernsafety.com/plysu/plysupage3.html

Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess, but I think Stevie meant he suffers with it.
Stevie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got it rdtf .... thanks sooo much for the links.
I hadn't even considered my post would be taken the other way.

It's looking like we might be spending our future lives together....and I want to know all I can about it... I do know his brother-in-law died from the effects of it.....

God bless him, my friend, their families and all of you.
Stevie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U Jack, thank you for your concern and for the info /articles you posted.

there's good info in there for me to learn from! I'll be reading it and adding it to my file on AO.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my confusion. Eat lots of mushrooms, artichokes and red clover.

My prayers are for each of you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: