SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This really ticked me off:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: This really ticked me off: Reply with quote

Quote:

Making over the war on terror

As a Londoner living in Kansai, I watched with horror and dismay an event that struck all too close to home. My best friend lives in Russell Square and could see from his window the bus devastated (in one of the four London bombings July 7). What I want to come from these atrocities, and I believe it has been lacking since 9/11, is a serious discussion, not of how and where they did it, but of why they did it.

I am sick and tired of the Bush administration's puerile drivel on the motivation of terrorists. "You're either with us or with the terrorists" is a motif that in various forms has driven every dictatorship in the history of the world. The only thing I know for certain is that they are bad people.

In the most intelligent and communicative era of mankind's history, is such a thoughtless, throwaway remark really acceptable from the most important man in the world? Until we look beyond the "war on terrorism" propaganda, which portrays terrorists as faceless phantoms hell-bent on our destruction just because we hold elections, until we start to reach out to the many, many disaffected people of Islam, and until the United States (particularly but not exclusively) returns to treating other, dissenting, nations' opinions with due respect (I especially refer to the buildup to Iraq), then terrorists will continue to strike, and the only thing we can do about it will be to write condemnation speeches.

We must shift the focus from the gun to the olive branch; clearly the current approach is fueling the fire.

JOE WILSDON
Shiso, Hyogo

http://www.japantimes.com/ric.htm

I really want to reply to his letter, but I am NOT good at replying to crud like this.... anyone that can reply is MORE than welcome to!!

MJ
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add this one... (same URL):

Quote:

Relativity aside, abuse is wrong

Regarding Max Boot's July 7 article, "A remarkable absence of U.S. savagery": I hope he was writing it tongue in cheek. How can he justify America's actions at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, by comparing them to atrocities carried out by the British in Kenya a half century ago? What the British did then was wrong; racism against blacks in the '60s was wrong; Apartheid in South Africa was wrong. Things are wrong when compared against human rights -- not when compared to other wrongs.

Maybe Boot doesn't understand that, as long as America arrogantly disregards people's rights, fanatics the world over will have something to hang their crazy ideas on. Surely we will create the world we want by treating people by the standards of our ideal world. We won't rid the world of this terrorism by treating people like animals.

If people have done something wrong, then try them and put them in prison. Don't try to justify torture and abuse -- even if it is less than that carried out by another oppressor.

PAUL BLAGBROUGH
Tokyo

Rolling Eyes

Any comments?
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another couple of "Let's Blame America" types who have all the answers to the woes of the world.

I think they should just hug a terrorist to show them how much they care. Preferably one with two and half kilos of HE in a backpack.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PAUL BLAGBROUGH

he's just angry that he has that last name Rolling Eyes
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most of the people here on the Left Coast in California, they have a different mentality. They did not experience the terror that flowed through normal people because they can't understand anything they can't describe first hand. They are the people who live by the motto "If it feels good, do it" and base their whole lives on feeling rather than rational thought.

SBD
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Like most of the people here on the Left Coast in California, they have a different mentality. They did not experience the terror that flowed through normal people because they can't understand anything they can't describe first hand. They are the people who live by the motto "If it feels good, do it" and base their whole lives on feeling rather than rational thought.

SBD

Not to argue (I can't debate worth a crap..), but we should remember that there was a 'terrorist' battle in the UK with the IRA... so some may have experienced it firsthand, although I can't speak for the 'leftist' comments/opinions from the origional posters..... I think that if they DID experience the IRA actions firsthand, they wouldn't have opinions like these.. Confused

MJ
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:
Quote:
PAUL BLAGBROUGH

he's just angry that he has that last name Rolling Eyes

ROTFL!!! Laughing
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH!
1 thing I HAVE noticed while living overseas is that 99.9% of the expats (foreigners in a foreign land) are VERY left (by American standards)... any idea why?

AND.. I think I MIGHT have mentioned it before, but the only 2 newspapers that this particular Japanese newspaper posts main articles from....
LAT and WAPO... go figure... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by MrJapan on Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD you are so right! How can you take it out there? Do you find enough rational non-liberals to surround yourself with? I have a friend that moved there from the East Coast, and her biggest complaint is the ultra slow pace. At first she thought it would be a great change, but it's too much. No one wants to get motivated about anything out there unless it rings of saving the entire world. Or their right to do absolutely whatever they want. The laziness in handling the day to day issues is astounding.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrJapan wrote:
OH!
1 thing I HAVE noticed while living overseas is that 99.9% of the expats (foreigners in a foreign land) are VERY left (by American standards)... any idea why?

Hmmm - the only thing I can say about that is most of them come from liberal Universities, places that encourage them to move away and see (i.e.help) the world.
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:
SBD you are so right! How can you take it out there? Do you find enough rational non-liberals to surround yourself with? I have a friend that moved there from the East Coast, and her biggest complaint is the ultra slow pace. At first she thought it would be a great change, but it's too much. No one wants to get motivated about anything out there unless it rings of saving the entire world. Or their right to do absolutely whatever they want. The laziness in handling the day to day issues is astounding.

Did you see the county by county election results? Was really interestin nationwide.. but even in Cali the only places that voted on the dark side were major cities.. just like the rest of the states Wink

Quote:

Hmmm - the only thing I can say about that is most of them come from liberal Universities, places that encourage them to move away and see (i.e.help) the world.

Good point.... kinda funny... before I went into the AF, I didn'T want to leave Texas.. All of the bases I put on the enlistment dreamsheet were in Texas... go figure, I got orders to Germany Rolling Eyes
But, after I got out, I wanted to see more of the world.. wonder if that's normal for ex-military...
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:

Let's see, considering the City I live in is on its' third Mayor in 4 days one of which won the world record for shortest time being Mayor and should be submitted to the Guiness Book of World Records for coming in at Mayor for 1 Day. Confused

In order to stay sane, I volunteer for the GOP!! Very Happy

SBD
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this Morons says a couple of things worthy of clubbing out of his little seal like brain:
Quote:
many disaffected people of Islam

Quote:
We must shift the focus from the gun to the olive branch; clearly the current approach is fueling the fire.

This moron don't quite get that the disaffected (I think he means disenfranchised) people of Islam are.... woman not having equal rights whatsoever, All of us infidels who are unwilling to convert to Islam.... We the Jews and friends of Jews.

The only Olive branch to offer is to subjugate woman as they are in Saudi Arabia and much the rest of the Islamic world. ON the good side we could at least silence Hillary Clinton and Madonna.

Get rid of all the Jews on the planet and we convert to Islam. By the way give back the fictitious caliphate all lands previously inhabited by Muslims.
Dat's a lot of land.... from Vienna Austria thru much of Western Soviet territories.. Spain/Andalusia and so on.

The ever wise Clinton Armed the Muslim Albanians attempting to steel Kosovo and this is the same time 9/11 was at the height of it's planning.

What a bloody moronic GIT!

We should send him, Barbara Streisand, Madonna and Hillary Clinton off into the bush to negotiate some olive branch stuff.... Oh yeah, Barbara Boxer and Nanci Pellosi could be the advance team...... Now that's a good idea.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we give them an Olive Branch, they will only use it as kindling.
davman
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was listening to a radio show the other day. There was a woman speaking who was born in Lebanon. She lives in the US now, after fleeing Lebanon as a child. As a young child, her home was blown up, and many neighbors and family members were murdered. Why? because they were Chrisitans! Somehow I don't think that this had anything to do with the United States! Muslim fanatics have been waging war against non muslims for over a thousand years. Since before the U.S. even existed! Where do people get off blaming the United States for these evil monsters? I guess the blame America crowd is also the same group that does not beleive that people should accept responsibility for their own actions! I apreciate the opportunity to vent here, because I just can't argue with them anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: