SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bolton Appointed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Bolton Appointed. Reply with quote

Libs go nuts. Voinovich is probably in tears. Too bad. To Harry the body Reid, Guantanamo Joe Biden and the rest, You should have voted, not obstructed.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeeeeeee-hawwwwwwwww! Go, Cowboy!

Very Happy
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Bolton is clearly not the wimp that several democrats wanted. I hope his actions at the U.N. earn him the nickname Joltin' John Bolton ala Joe DiMaggio -- or perhaps Smokin' John Bolton ala Joe Frazier.

It's about time we sent up an ambassador up there that's not interested in getting along and who means business.

Nalt
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definition of a Presidential Recess Appointment: "Put it where the Sun don't shine Senators".

Have a cigar on this one Mr. President.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
BillB
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: CNN Poll on appt. Reply with quote

CNN has a poll up already on "Do you agree with
the recess appointment?" Yes No

Running 70% "No" right now which is not surprising
considering how CNN's current viewership would
skew such a poll.
Inactive Reserve (July '46 - Aug. '51)
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condi wanted Bolton at the U.N. \
She has beened dubbed the "Velvet Hammer" as Sec/State and needs an equally tough negotiator at the U.N.
Way to go, Mr. President! There is a lot of work ahead, and we cannot dither with an obstructionist Senate!!

Some reactions from the usual suspects:
Yahoo News
Quote:
Reaction to Bolton's Appointment to U.N.
By The Associated Press
Mon Aug 1,11:46 AM ET

Reaction to President Bush's recess appointment of John Bolton as ambassador to the United Nations:

___

"At a time when we need to reassert our diplomatic power in the world, President Bush has decided to send a seriously flawed and weakened candidate to the United Nations. It's an unnecessary result, and the latest abuse of power by the Bush White House. ... Bolton arrives at the United Nations with a cloud hanging over his head." — Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.

___

"The president did the right thing by sending Mr. Bolton to the U.N. He is a smart, principled and straightforward candidate, and will represent the president and America well on the world stage." — Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn.

___

"We look forward to working with him as I do with the other 190 ambassadors and we will welcome him at a time when we are in the midst of major reform. I think it is the president's prerogative, and the president has decided to appoint him through this process." — U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan

___

"The president has taken an action that is fully within his authority, is in concert with a clear majority of the Senate, and is in the interest of achieving constructive reform of the United Nations." — Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Dick Lugar, R-Ind.

___

"The abuse of power and the cloak of secrecy from the White House continues. ... It's a devious maneuver that evades the constitutional requirement of Senate consent and only further darkens the cloud over Mr. Bolton's credibility at the U.N." — Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (news, bio, voting record), D-Mass.

___

"I am truly concerned that a recess appointment will only add to John Bolton's baggage and his lack of credibility with the United Nations. That said, the president has made this decision, and I will do everything in my power to support Mr. Bolton as he takes this new position." — Sen. George Voinovich (news, bio, voting record), R-Ohio

___

"I accept and understand why the president had to do this. I think it's unfortunate that he had to use this option because John Bolton was denied the fairness of an up-or-down vote. I think John Bolton is well qualified. He is principled. And he will advocate for the U.S. taxpayers." — Sen. George Allen (news, bio, voting record), R-Va.

___

"Making this recess appointment is certainly the president's right, but it is not right for America. Appointing John Bolton to the United Nations sends a terrible message to our intelligence professionals. It is the wrong signal for our intelligence reform efforts. ... I believe it was wrong to appoint him to that position over the Senate's objection." — Sen. Barbara Mikulski (news, bio, voting record), D-Md.

___

"My doubts about his ability to protect and advance U.S. national security interests at the U.N. are simply too strong to support his nomination. John Bolton is the wrong person for the job and the decision to appoint him today will not serve American foreign policy well at all. ... His history of inflammatory statements about the U.N. will also make it difficult for him to effectively advance U.S. security interests in New York and bring about necessary reforms to that institution." — Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill.

___

"The president has the right to make this recess appointment, but it's the wrong decision. It only diminishes John Bolton's validity and leverage to secure America's goals at the U.N. John Bolton has been rejected twice by the Senate to serve as our Ambassador to the United Nations. This is not the way to fill our most important diplomatic jobs." — Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass.

___

"It's sad that even while the president preaches democracy around the world, he bends the rules and circumvents the will of Congress in appointing our representative to the United Nations." — Sen. Frank R. Lautenberg (news, bio, voting record), D-N.J.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
davman
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Lurch Speaks Reply with quote

I don't think that Kerry understands that blocking an up or down vote doesn't mean he was rejected by the senate.

"The president has the right to make this recess appointment, but it's the wrong decision. It only diminishes John Bolton's validity and leverage to secure America's goals at the U.N. John Bolton has been rejected twice by the Senate to serve as our Ambassador to the United Nations. This is not the way to fill our most important diplomatic jobs." — Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CNN Poll on appt. Reply with quote

BillB wrote:

It's the same for all the online polls...the left takes delight in stuffing & skewing them as though they're worth a tinker's dam in relevance.

I'm more than happy to cede to them their online poll victories. The only poll victories I'm concerned about are the ones that take place on election day...a poll in which they haven't been fairing very well lately.
GM Strong

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pres. Bush gave the Libs a giant political "Wedgie" and the Clinton News Network poll shows it. You DemLibs are a bunch of Arseles who brought this down on yourselves, so shut your yaps and deal with it. DUH!! Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by GM Strong on Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: CNN Poll on appt. Reply with quote

BillB wrote:

Running 70% "No" right now which is not surprising
considering how CNN's current viewership would
skew such a poll.

The polling thing is so tiresome. Let's do a poll that gets the result we want and then the poll will become the premise of how out of touch the administration is with America people. If we did a poll on this site it would be about 99.9% in favor of the Bolton appointment.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: CNN Poll on appt. Reply with quote

coldwarvet wrote:
If we did a poll on this site it would be about 99.9% in favor of the Bolton appointment.

Okay, CWV, let's try it!
http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20393

:::::snickers to self::::

I know, I know, I have too much time on my hands! LOL!
noyesj
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it needs to be said, The DAMcrats had their chance and

they blew it.

Iam proud to say we have a president that will do what he

said he would.

Please would someone tell the left that they lost the last election?
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Hey Fattie. Reply with quote

"The abuse of power and the cloak of secrecy from the White House continues. ... It's a devious maneuver that evades the constitutional requirement of Senate consent and only further darkens the cloud over Mr. Bolton's credibility at the U.N." — Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (news, bio, voting record), D-Mass.

Hey Fattie, tell Mary Jo Kopechne's relatives about "The abuse of power and the cloak of secrecy" and "a devious maneuver".
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If, according to Senator Kennedy, a so called dark cloud is hanging over John Bolton, how do you suppose he would describe what's hanging over his own head? I am sure he and many of his constituents think it's a halo.

How they can forget about Mary Jo Kopechne and Kennedy's cowardly actions is beyond me.

Nalt
GM Strong

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a dark cloud hanging over John Bolton, but the dark shadow stalking Teddy seems to always be there and scares the Stuffing (plenty of that) out of him. Confused Razz Razz Razz Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: