SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any amateur enthusiast or professional photographers here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Any amateur enthusiast or professional photographers here? Reply with quote

I am trying to buy an entry level high end camera to take wide angle landscape photos. My budget was 1500.00 but after researching on the web it just keeps raising in price. grrrr But I am a total newbie to photography and possibly making a mistake in what to purchase.

The current set-up I was thinking of is Canon eos 20d body with a EF17-40/4L wide angle lens, along with a tripod, picture snap cable, 1gig memory card, case and filter set.

This is adding up.

Would appreciate any suggestions from knowedgable people.

The important thing is to be able to take really good wide angle landscape photos and I would like for the lens I buy to be very good. The camera itself isnt as important as I would most likely upgrade the camera body as technology improves.

If any admins disapprove of this post np's here if you yank it. Smile This searching for a camera is really difficult.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Geedunk is sort of for off the subject stuff Wink

I'm using a Sony DSC-S75 Camera with zoom lens and a 3.3 mega pixel lens, amongst the highest at the time I got it a few years ago. It suits most everything I do just fine, including some landscapes and wildlife pics.

SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Any amateur enthusiast or professional photographers her Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
I am trying to buy an entry level high end camera to take wide angle landscape photos. My budget was 1500.00 but after researching on the web it just keeps raising in price. grrrr But I am a total newbie to photography and possibly making a mistake in what to purchase.

The current set-up I was thinking of is Canon eos 20d body with a EF17-40/4L wide angle lens, along with a tripod, picture snap cable, 1gig memory card, case and filter set.

This is adding up.

Would appreciate any suggestions from knowedgable people.

The important thing is to be able to take really good wide angle landscape photos and I would like for the lens I buy to be very good. The camera itself isnt as important as I would most likely upgrade the camera body as technology improves.

If any admins disapprove of this post np's here if you yank it. Smile This searching for a camera is really difficult.

How about this!!

CANON DIGITAL REBEL XT DIGITAL CAMERA DEAL

Silver Canon Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens for $999 - 15% off coupon - $60 off stackable =
$789.15 shipped!

If you add the EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Ultra-Wide Zoom Lens

The total including shipping is $1,528.30

The EOS Digital Rebel XT SLR Camera from Canon packs an array of impressive features and definitive control in a convenient, easy-to-use design. It incorporates a high-resolution CMOS sensor that delivers fine image accuracy with an effective 8.0 MP resolution. Equipped with a Canon 18-55 mm lens, the camera captures true to life images. The sensor is driven by a DIGIC II imaging processor that ensures natural colors, accurate white balance and speedy write times, letting you focus on taking pictures. With the 7-point Wide-Area AF System and superimposed focusing points, the Digital Rebel XT allows speedy and accurate focusing, for memorable shots in any situation. You can even use predictive AF to ensure that moving subjects stay focused while you compose your shot. With fast 3 frames-per-second shooting capability you’ll be able to capture split second action sequences. Connect your EOS Digital Rebel XT camera to your computer with a USB 2.0 Hi-Speed connection for fast, hassle-free image uploads. With intuitive simplicity and powerful performance, the EOS Digital Rebel XT SLR Camera offers style and performance to thrill your senses.

SBD
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genxr:

You're on the right track with a camera that can use Canon EF lens (or Nikkor). Several 14 mega pixel cameras hit the market this year that offer the full use of those lens designed for 35mm, especially wide angle lenses. They're still in the $3-8k range but coming down.

I don't recommend zoom lenses. You spend too much time fiddling with composition and they're slower. Canon makes a nice 20mm/2.8 with no distortion and the fixed focal length will train your eye. It's pricier but worth it.

A u/v filter is all you need. More memory is good. A solid, heavy tripod like an old Bogen is the only thing to spend money on. Don't be afraid to shop 'used' from established dealers or Amazon 5stars.

....anyway, that's what this old Photographers Mate has to say.

-Wlm Shakespeare
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for yall's input.

Lew,
Thats a surprisingly good picture for a 3 mega pixel camera. I figure it is because you shot it with a good lens.

SBD,
I was thinking of maybe going the rebel XT route, but that ef-s 18-55mm they like to put with the camera is supposedly of poor quality. Although that other lens you pointed out is a very high quality lens and the package would be quite a bit cheaper then the Eos 20d I have been looking at.

I B,
My sister agrees with you on the tripod, she is an amateur photographer and we spoke tonight and she told me the two most important things were the feel for the camera and the tripod. I was like, huh? She told me some of her best shots taken were with disposables and not to worry so much about doodads if I am buying a good camera. She was relating horror stories about cameras tipping over due to crappy tripods, but she knows nothing about digital photography so she didn't want to offer advice on digitals.

The 20mm/2.8 fixed focal length lens your talking about. Is it good for landscape shots? Doesn't that 2.8 number have to be larger say like 4 or 5? As I said I dont know much, but do like the idea of using a fixed focal length lens. Oh one other thing you don't think I need all the fancy filters? Just a UV one?

Thanks everyone and would appreciate any more suggestions.
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the daily deals at http://www.gotapex.com for good pricing deals.

I use a Canon Power Shot S400 Digital ELPH with 4.0 Mega Pixels and 3x Zoom. It takes some pretty good pictures for my needs.

SBD

note: Image resized. Please limit image widths to 600 pixels. Thanks/me#1
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr
Take your $1500 budget, go out to one of the electronics stores or discount houses and spend $200 of the money on the best camera that fits the $200 limit. Take the $200 camera out and experiment with it and find out everything you don't like, do like and wish you had available. After a week or 2 of puttering you will have a better idea what you want, what is available and what you can afford. Now go and shoot the whole budget on a camera that satisfies you. You can always put your $200 test unit on eBay.
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I still had my Canon A1 I would give it to you to practice with.. but it is so outdated by today's standards, I doubt it would help much >.<
Wink
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD's got it but I lean toward the pre XT version, the Canon Rebel. Same lenses and because its being discontinued you can pick up the body for a song (<$450), giving you a far greater leeway budget wise for the lens. Since you mentioned landscapes, speed shots are not critical so the normal Rebel would suit your needs well.

One recommendation I find myself giving more and more often is to not turn your nose up on "refurbished" equipment. There are several reputable companies offering these and the savings are simply phenominal!
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the best of the best in this regard:

Hasselblad xpan

The links I have for them are too long, but look it up on ebay, they have about three for sale at a good price.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I like about my Sony is that I spent just under $500 3 years ago Laughing I'm not real deep into photography and do mainly snap shots, with a little dabbling into wildlife and nature scenes, nothing real serious.

As for the lens, it's a Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar.

As I tell people, buying a camera all depends on what you want out of it.
wonhyo
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: digital cameras Reply with quote

You can go to CNET.com and look under camera and look at many cameras,how they tested, best place to buy. Cnet has helped me many times comparing cell phones, computers, stereos. My daughter who is in college course for photography, got an Canon Rebel, its compact and her pictures have turned out better than the photographers at the last wedding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: