SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You guys are dropping the ball.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: You guys are dropping the ball. Reply with quote

I watched the O'Reilly interview tonight and I gotta tell you, it was painful to watch.

You guys have something to say, and it's important, but you're blowing it.

If you don't get some ARTICULATE people out there representing your side, your 15 minutes of fame will pass and you will have accomplished NOTHING. Worse than nothing actually, because the general public will come away with the belief that Kerry was being wrongly slandered and he'll get their votes out of sympathy.

Lemme tell you something...
My neighbor is a Deputy Sherrif, a die-hard conservative and NOT a Kerry supporter. In spite of already being a public servant, he's unhappy that he never got around to filling his dream of joining the Marines.
You got the picture of the kind of guy this is? He's one of "us".

And you know what...?

HE was angry with the ad.

Why?

Because Kerry's spin machine is doing a better job with BULL$H!T than YOU guys are doing with the TRUTH.

It took a good bit of explaining the facts to him before he settled down.

Guys... PLEASE...

FIND someone in your ranks who is a GOOD public speaker and would give GOOD interviews, and get him out there NOW! Before it's too late, if it isn't too late already.

And he can START by explaining that Kerry didn't have the only boat on the river and that just because a man was standing on a different piece of wood doesn't mean he wasn't right there WITH Kerry and his boat.
CupertinoCA
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Don't worry, O'neill is very well spoken Reply with quote

but I do agree, you should not have veterans out there by themselves again, time for the buddy system IMHO
BenJaxBchFL
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nakona is dead on. Hannity repeating "are you calling them liars?" is not going to cut it. Comments need to be:

End the debate and release the 201.

You said you were in Cambodia but in your journals you say your not.

Ask the witnesses how many feet away they were from the action and could they see it clearly. Get multiple guys on at the same time.

Ask if Kerry was originally turned down for the Purple Heart and why.

Etc. I could go on. But again we are not arguing effectively. Remeber these people are experts at deceit.
The war against terrorism is not that Americans might die rather that we would alter our way of living. If we get to a point where we choose not to go out because of fear, our economy will sink and in the end so will our nation. Vote Bush.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem w/Hannity and Colmes is that there was no one associated with the book on the air. The two guests and Colmes obviously know NOTHING.

Tomorrow night with the authors ought to be better.
forgivenjojo
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to Nakona

That is exactly what I have been trying to say in so many words. Thank you for being more articulate than I. This advice is not to be critical of a super group of men, it is so this super group of men can be vindicated and our nation wont have to suffer because of an effort that turned out to bloom too late. We need to be on top of our game now.
gilliam
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Don't worry, O'neill is very well spoken Reply with quote

CupertinoCA wrote:
but I do agree, you should not have veterans out there by themselves again, time for the buddy system IMHO

I agree, you need to go out in pairs.
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: You guys are dropping the ball. Reply with quote

nakona wrote:
You guys have something to say, and it's important, but you're blowing it.

Calm down Nakona. The election is still a few months away.

It is very evident that this story and the VVAW story will not go away

The Democrats are really worried and are in a damage control mode.

1. We have to get past the "not on the boat" syndrome. That will happen.

2. There are lots of cedible people on our side that interview well

........ The SBVFT lawyer on Hannity this past Friday was terrific.
........ O"Neill, Elder, Wright, Symes, Thurlow and Odell have been super!!
........ More interviews are in the works eg Tuesday again on Hannity
........ The more interviews we do, the better the message gets
........ Be patient and good things will happen in due time

3. The book release will generate even more talk show interviews
... And more cash to plow back into more TV ads, etc etc etc

4. And the main feature of this story has yet to hit the streets.

I keep on saying it ..... !! DGUTS !! ..... !! Don't Give Up The Ship !!

Last edited by rbshirley on Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nakona

I agree that the spokespersons for this effort need to be sharp, articulate and fast spoken. The lawyer on Hannity this past friday took no prisoners, his control of the facts was exactly what's needed.

Let's not have an O.J. moment where "the glove don't fit".

If Kerry gets into the W.H. then he should divorce Teresa and marry Hanoi Jane. Then the betrayal of the vets will be complete and Michael Moore will laugh all the way to the bank.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen and ladies...please?

Rome wasn't built in a day....yikes! All this breast-beating and we're just getting out of the starting gate.

We are up against three of the most daunting foes one can face in the arena of public opinion...apathy, ignorance and an entrenched media that would probably prefer to fall on their proverbial swords than to admit that they were almost criminally negligent in not exposing Kerry for the charlatan and opportunist that he is.

Do NOT underestimate, however, the power of truth...and we have it in spades...

Two steps forward, one step back, two steps forward....
Lily
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Steve did fine, he's not a professional speaker and I assume O'Reilly asked to interview someone who served under Kerry.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Gentlemen and ladies...please?

Rome wasn't built in a day....yikes! All this breast-beating and we're just getting out of the starting gate.

We are up against three of the most daunting foes one can face in the arena of public opinion...apathy, ignorance and an entrenched media that would probably prefer to fall on their proverbial swords than to admit that they were almost criminally negligent in not exposing Kerry for the charlatan and opportunist that he is.

Do NOT underestimate, however, the power of truth...and we have it in spades...

Two steps forward, one step back, two steps forward....

Jay's right.

Christmas in Cambodia is a slam dunk to quote George Tenant. More to come with the book but.....everyone that cares has to spend the time to hammer the media. Email, Snailmail, Telephone Calls. Hammer them.

The only thing they'll respond to is overwhelming pressure. It's time for the voice of the people to be heard. Just Do It!

Remember one thing! Anyone who has spent 2 hours here knows more about the issues than anyone in the media. Don't be shy! Hammer Them?
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: You guys are dropping the ball. Reply with quote

rbshirley wrote:

Quote:
4. And the main feature of this story has yet to hit the streets.

I actually think you are doing just fine. Back in May O'Reilly disgustedly dismissed the SBVT press conference as not worth reporting. Now he looks worried - he actually looks like he is unsure of how to act - like he's walking on eggs. The establishment knows in its gut this is curtains for Kerry and they can't block it after so many people know about it. He put all his eggs in one basket, and the basket is made of cotton candy.

I also actually think some very smart people are working on this, because the staged roll out of the Kerry horrors is more effective than a big blow at once. The ad broadside without detailed back-up was brilliant. Caused the biggest bang for the buck, zoomed the book (which is the hidden whammy "gotcha" behind the ad) - and then, and then . . .

"But folks, look what he did AFTER the war . . ." #4 is the real deal. Always was. An American in Paris and his 58,00 dead war criminals on The Wall.
Cazador
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Simply put, you go up against the big dogs in the mass media, you had better be prepared with media training.

Anyone who tells you different is a fool. That is so basic I cannot even believe I have to write it.

Oh, here's another tip off. The big boys did not break the story so they are going to be playing catch up ball. They are wounded and they are the enemy. Duh.

I don't care if you have video of Kerry humping a tree with a reporter nearby, you'd better be able to effectively handle all the stupid, dumb, sharp, ignorant and a few good questions these people will be throwing at you.

You will fail otherwise because it seems like some of you guys are underestimating the press and the power they have when the lights turn on. It's a whole new ballgame from now on. You are in their arena and they know it.

I am not in panic mode. I am concerned that ANY lapse in this area can and will come back to haunt you and that would be the biggest crime.

So, get some support from media trainers. A PR firm can help. Prepare like you have never prepared before in your life -- yes, even for Vietnam.

Don't believe me?

Then let me ask a simple question -- What's the risk in learning their tricks so you are better prepared to handle them?

Scolding sermon off.

Keep up the good fight. You have many supporters and we wish you the best.

Cazador
Bill-Qui-Nhon
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Tell Orielly to let gunnersmate Garner talk Reply with quote

Bill O'rielly had Kerry's gunner Steven Garner on Monday night, and the gunner did NOT get to say very much, it seemed O'Rielly only wanted him to say certain things. I want him back on so he can tell his whole story. Send a e-mail to Orielly telling him to get gunner back on so he can tell THE TRUTH !!!

Bill Howes RM3
Cos. Div. 15
Boat #59 - Crew 113
Boat #64 - Crew 13-B
Qui- Nhon 1966, 67, 68

Orielly's e-mail addy Oreilly@foxnews.com
arjr111
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought Steve did fine, he's not a professional speaker and I assume O'Reilly asked to interview someone who served under Kerry.

I agree with Lillyl.

It is not difficult for a expert interviewer to manipulate their less eperienced interviewees into saying or agreeing to something they do not truly believe, but feel they must submit to, so as not to look like they are exhibiting sour-grapes, which would in the process damage any points the interviewee may have already made.

It was not Steve who was a fault! O'Reilly, consistently seems more interested in how O'Reilly will come across during an interview, than letting a guest actually make their point.

In his efforts to appear "Fair and Balanced", O'Reilly went out of hsi way to manipulate Steve into agreeing that Kerry "had been brave" even though Steve, first substituted his own observation, that Kerry was "Opportunistic".

It was obvious from Steves look that he really believed Kerry was "Opportunistic" instead of "Brave".

O'Riely should have stopped the interview when Steve made his substitution--O'Reilly said, "I will give you the last words". Yeah Right!

O'Reilly's ego often manages to gets in the way of the truth!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: