SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pray in the face of Katrina
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Pray in the face of Katrina Reply with quote

Everyone who believes in the power of prayer, please say one for the folks on the Gulf coast in and around New Orleans. They are gonna need it.

Dusty
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got a boat to sell, you might want to take it down there! Shocked
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For seventeen hours in December 2002, Guam was hit by Super Typhoon Pongsana with 175 MPH winds gusting to over 200 MPH.

Here are some photos of the aftermath so you can see what is in store for the Gulf Coast:

http://www.pacom.mil/guamtyphoon/0212typhoon/imagery.shtml

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
kman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well look at her while we're praying.

Cutie pie on Fox just read a NWS alert.

Highlights--or lowlights:

New Orleans will be "uninhabitable" for weeks.

Half of "well constructed" homes will suffer roof and/or wall failure.

Most commercial buildings will be damaged.

High-rise buildings will sway--possibly to the point of failure.

ALL windows will be blown out.

Also, a weather plane just flew into the storm and recorded a pressure of 902 mb, 4 mb lower than the last reading. They may up the wind speed to 180-185 MPH.

Heard the bars are full---What are you thinking? GET OUT!

Kurt
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt wrote:
For seventeen hours in December 2002, Guam was hit by Super Typhoon Pongsana with 175 MPH winds gusting to over 200 MPH.

Here are some photos of the aftermath so you can see what is in store for the Gulf Coast:

http://www.pacom.mil/guamtyphoon/0212typhoon/imagery.shtml

Cool Cool Cool

Those are government buildings, thus solid concrete or cinder blocks built to hurricane/100 year specs. Imagine those concrete walls that are broke in half being of wood construction. This storm if category 5 will be exponentially more devastating then a 4 and the damage it causes will be incomprehensible if a major metropolitan center is struck.

If you live in or around New Orleans the only way I can explain this storms potential is a big ass toranado heading your way with a potential 15-20 foot storm surge. So I would recommend treating this storm as very dangerous.

Last edited by GenrXr on Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:

Heard the bars are full---What are you thinking? GET OUT!

Kurt

Sadly, many people do not understand the exponentially greater level of destruction a Cat 5 does then a Cat 4.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching Fox I see the Superdome is filling up as a "refuge of last resort". Has anyone here ever been inside the Superdome? When was it built and can it sustain winds of Cat 5 magnitude? Considering its odd shape, will the winds be "shock cocconed" around the Dome or is it possible it may sustain structural damage? Is the restroom situation feasable for a prolonged period of time? I think someone needs to report on this. Pray for The Big Easy.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwIIvetsdaughter wrote:
Watching Fox I see the Superdome is filling up as a "refuge of last resort". Has anyone here ever been inside the Superdome? When was it built and can it sustain winds of Cat 5 magnitude? Considering its odd shape, will the winds be "shock cocconed" around the Dome or is it possible it may sustain structural damage? Is the restroom situation feasable for a prolonged period of time? I think someone needs to report on this. Pray for The Big Easy.

When I heard they would be placing people in the SuperDome, I was like huh? Seems very dangerous to me.

I would think public schools would be much safer. Most schools in Texas are built to 100 year specifications. Not sure about LA though.

Any government buildings actually. The government loves to spend money on buildings.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on further thought,

I am at a loss to understand the thinking behind this plan. City officials have decided to herd the people unable to leave town into the Super Dome to wait out the storm. This is a dumb, dumb, dumb decision and places these people in great danger. This building presents a very large target for high winds even if built to 100 year specifications, which I highly doubt. Why not instead divide the 10k+ into 20 groups or more of 500 people each. Place them in k-12 buildings as well as other government buildings built to 100 year specifications. IF you suffer catostrophic failure and a 50% loss of life at one of the buildings were looking at 250 dead as opposed to 5,000 dead. Either this is a concern over security costs associated with personel securing multiple locations or a typical politician thinking they are important and therefore have good ideas. Regardless, this is a very bad plan.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole thing is looking very scary.

NOAA is sounding more pessimistic than I've ever heard them talking - it's almost as if we might have seen the end of New Orleans as we know it.

And people are talking about riding out this storm as if it's nothing. One lady said, "If we can survive Mardi Gras, we will survive the hurricane."

It's almost like there's some kind of disconnect between what NOAA is saying and what the people are hearing.

Very scary stuff. You can listen to talk radio here:
http://www.wjbo.com/main.html and hear constant updates and traffic advisories.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
This whole thing is looking very scary.

NOAA is sounding more pessimistic than I've ever heard them talking - it's almost as if we might have seen the end of New Orleans as we know it.

And people are talking about riding out this storm as if it's nothing. One lady said, "If we can survive Mardi Gras, we will survive the hurricane."

It's almost like there's some kind of disconnect between what NOAA is saying and what the people are hearing.

Very scary stuff. You can listen to talk radio here:
http://www.wjbo.com/main.html and hear constant updates and traffic advisories.

I agree Navy and wonder just how many people realize the exponential increase in damage and danger of a 3 to a 4 and a 4 to cat 5. I have seen the damage from these storms from a construction perspective and level 5 cats will level everything in their path. I am definately worried about the people going into the super dome.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to sound ungracious but how long did New Orleans expect to survive 15 feet below the surrounding water level? Didn't coffins popping out of the ground give them a clue? Before the Corps of Engineers stepped in the Old Man River regularly gobbled up or abandoned towns along the way. Illinois first two Capitols were swept downstream.

The bigger threat to commerce on the Mississippi is if flooding breaches the Achafalaya leaving port facilities downstream high, dry and useless.

-Wlm Shakespeare
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
Hate to sound ungracious but how long did New Orleans expect to survive 15 feet below the surrounding water level? Didn't coffins popping out of the ground give them a clue? Before the Corps of Engineers stepped in the Old Man River regularly gobbled up or abandoned towns along the way. Illinois first two Capitols were swept downstream.

The bigger threat to commerce on the Mississippi is if flooding breaches the Achafalaya leaving port facilities downstream high, dry and useless.

Good points I B

Anyone curious to know more about what I B is talking about should read John M. Barry's "Rising Tide: The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 and How It Changed America

From an article posted on Drudge
Quote:
Estimates have been made of tens of thousands of deaths from flooding that could overrun the levees and turn New Orleans into a 30-foot-deep toxic lake filled with chemicals and petroleum from refineries, and waste from ruined septic systems

dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason the Superdome was chosen is because it's one of the only places in the city that is actually above sea level by 12 ft.
But now I just heard that part of it's roof lining is coming loose inside and they are getting some water leaks inside the dome.
The restroom facilities are designed to handle crowds of 50,000 or better so there should be no problem with enough of them. The problem will be that the stuff has no where to go when the city floods and the sewage system backs up.
All in all, it's gonna be a mess.
I lived in Lake Charles when Audrey went through there and wiped Cameron, La. off the map. We got people out of trees for a week after. Parts of houses strewn all over the marsh. Snakes by the billions. (not an exageration)
Snakes were one of the biggest problems.

Dusty
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holes Open Up in Louisiana Superdome Roof
Monday, August 29, 2005

NEW ORLEANS — Hurricane Katrina ripped away part of the roof on the Louisiana Superdome (search) as thousands of storm refugees huddled inside Monday.

Strips of metal were peeled away, creating two holes that were visible from the floor of the huge arena. Water dripped in and people were moved away from about five sections of seats directly below.

Others watched as sheets of metal flapped visibly and noisily. From the floor, more than 19 stories below the dome, the openings appeared to be 6 feet long.

Cont'd:
http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,167313,00.html
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: