SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Beam Me Up Scotty' Department...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: 'Beam Me Up Scotty' Department... Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
You can use the f-word in class (but only five times)
Daily Mail
29th August 2005

A secondary school is to allow pupils to swear at teachers - as long as they don't do so more than five times in a lesson. A running tally of how many times the f-word has been used will be kept on the board. If a class goes over the limit, they will be 'spoken' to at the end of the lesson.

The astonishing policy, which the school says will improve the behaviour of pupils, was condemned by parents' groups and MPs yesterday. They warned it would backfire.

Parents were advised of the plan, which comes into effect when term starts next week, in a letter from the Weavers School in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire.

Assistant headmaster Richard White said the policy was aimed at 15 and 16-year-olds in two classes which are considered troublesome.

'Tolerate but not condone'

"Within each lesson the teacher will initially tolerate (although not condone) the use of the f-word (or derivatives) five times and these will be tallied on the board so all students can see the running score," he wrote in the letter

"Over this number the class will be spoken to by the teacher at the end of the lesson."

Daily Mail - cont'd
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Over this number the class will be spoken to by the teacher at the end of the lesson."
Shocked Confused

Back in the "good old days" of the mid 1960's, all it took was one utterance perceived as such and we were visited by the "Board of Education," ............................ briskly applied to our bottoms several times.

Our schools never cease to amaze me. For many years, they have complained about lack of discipline, respect and unruly kids. Now, they further condone even more.

If the looney left keeps it's stranglehold on our nation, I pity my grandkids kids and future generations. Crying or Very sad
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the kids really start shaking when it's time for the teacher to 'speak' to them.
I bet they hear some really stern stuff.

Lew wrote:
Quote:
If the looney left keeps it's stranglehold on our nation, I pity my grandkids kids and future generations.

Me too Lew, me too. I guess every parent and grandparent is gonna have to take the bull by the horns and preach truth to our kids and hope and pray our voices are louder than the voices they hear at school and elsewhere.
If this is what progress is all about, I don't think we need anymore of it.
Dusty
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the little "darlings" allowed time to speed dial thier attorneys before the teacher tongue lashes them? Rolling Eyes
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Back in the "good old days" of the mid 1960's, all it took was one utterance perceived as such and we were visited by the "Board of Education," ............................ briskly applied to our bottoms several times.

lol... Yeah, happened to me once, it it wasn't even in my mind... 9th grade.. Teacher asked what FM stood for (science class), and I replied 'funky machine'... (the other word never crossed my mind).. Ended up getting 3 licks, having to talk to the principle, having the BOE called WITH my mother to ask WHY I would think such a thing.. Rolling Eyes

EDIT: BTW, that was in '84..
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:
I bet the kids really start shaking when it's time for the teacher to 'speak' to them.
I bet they hear some really stern stuff.

Lew wrote:
Quote:
If the looney left keeps it's stranglehold on our nation, I pity my grandkids kids and future generations.

Me too Lew, me too. I guess every parent and grandparent is gonna have to take the bull by the horns and preach truth to our kids and hope and pray our voices are louder than the voices they hear at school and elsewhere.
If this is what progress is all about, I don't think we need anymore of it.
Dusty

I just sent the link to my wife ("ParaPro" at a local school) with the subject line "Schools in the USA __could__ get worse ..."

The article is from a paper (and apparently about a school) in the UK, not the USA
Surprised Shocked
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwb7605 wrote:

The article is from a paper (and apparently about a school) in the UK, not the USA
Surprised Shocked

UK or USA, the point of the article is the continuing degradation of standards of behavior in "Western" all too progressive public education. This could EASILY have been from a "progressive" school system anywhere in this country.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I realize this is a UK school, for now. Our own looney left (they are not only in the US, btw) seems to feel what is good for Europe, is better for us. I cringe at the thought that our schools just may follow suit one day. That's where I fear for my offspring. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: