SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Southern Standard: Bush critics are lowest form of life

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Southern Standard: Bush critics are lowest form of life Reply with quote

http://www.southernstandard.net/news.ez?viewStory=20379

Quote:
COMMENTARY: Bush critics are lowest form of life
By KEVIN HALPERN / Online Director / SouthernStandard.com

The lowest form of human life are already crawling out of the woodwork. Are they the people looting and pillaging in New Orleans? No, they are the people who are blaming President Bush for Hurricane Katrina and its devastation.

Those people include politicians, political wanna-bees, political commentators and pundits and everyday Americans like Cindy Sheehan, who has determined that all of the world's ills can be laid directly at the feet of one George W. Bush.

As the editor of an online newspaper, I've been tracking this storm since last Friday. President Bush declared a state of emergency for Lousiana and Alabama on Saturday. I began posting hurricane notices on this Web site on Sunday, creating a special Web section.

That was before the storm hit, but it appeared even Sunday morning that a hurricane of that size would have some effect on Middle Tennessee. As the hurricane hit the Gulf Coast Monday morning, and storm warnings forced the closing of Warren County Schools and those throughout Tennessee on Tuesday, it looked as though we were headed for a day or so of rough and potentially destructive weather.

While Middle Tennessee was spared the worst of Hurricane Katrina, the Gulf Coast from Lousiana to Alabama suffered unimaginable destruction. Areas of Tennessee felt Katrina's physical wrath, and in terms of the economic impact we — along with the rest of the nation — will feel the effects for quite some time.

I was especially interested because I have a sister and step-father who live in the Mobile area. I was not able to reach my sister until Tuesday afternoon — about 36 hours after the hurricane hit — and did not find out that my step-father was OK until Wednesday afternoon. But they were lucky, even though they will be without power for awhile. Hundreds of thousands of others are not. They are either dead or displaced.

Now to my point — when did it become apparent that the catastrophe was at the level we now know it to be? Was it on Monday? No, we were mostly getting reports out of New Orleans that that city had been spared the worst. Reports of what happened in Mississippi were spotty and slow in coming.

Then along comes Tuesday morning, and just around 5 a.m. central time, it became apparent that all was not as rosy as it first seemed in New Orleans because the dam had literally burst. And the water kept coming and coming. And no one knows how to stop it.

Then, as Tuesday moved into Wednesday, we began to get a clearer picture of how the entire coastline from Louisiana to Alabama resembles a war zone.

So that's the picture. Now we have Robert F. Kennedy Jr., a foreign minister in Germany, the aforemention Sheehan and I'm sure every liberal blog on the Web saying that it is all Bush's fault. Global warming made the hurricane so strong. That there wouldn't be global warming if only Bush has agreed to the Keoto Treaty.

However, Bush could have signed it the day he came into office and it would not have stopped Hurricane Katrina from forming, stengthening and hitting where it did. To assert otherwise is simply a fallacy. It is not the first hurricane or storm to cause major destruction somewhere in the world — and it won't be the last. They happened before anyone put those two words together and it became a catch-phrase for a cause, and they'll happen for all of time.

However, the real kicker are those who say Bush didn't respond quickly enough. That is what is simply ridiculous. If you don't even know how bad a situation is, how do you know what to respond too? And how to do it? Especially if the situation is fluid, which this one certainly is — in more ways than one.

To state, imply or even suggest that this freak of nature was in any way caused by President Bush is absolute lunacy. To criticize him for not getting the federal goverment to respond quicker is shallow and inaccurate.

No president could have responded any better or any quicker, because no one knows what to do until they know what has been done. We are still learning what has been done in terms of the mammoth destruction and, even today, no one really knows what to do in terms of recovery. Or how to do it.

Now that I have blasted the lowest form of life, let me extend my heart-felt gratitude to those rescue workers and Good Samaritans who are performing heroically and with care and compassion. Their courage and bravery is beyond belief, especially when you consider that they too have been devastated by the hurricane.

On the other end of the spectrum are the looters and the thugs. Stealing what one needs to survive is one thing. Taking TV's and guns and causing terror in the streets is another. They should be shot on sight.

One more thing on anti-war mom Sheehan. She is leaving Texas and taking her protest on the road with a bus caravan to Washington. I hope she runs out of the gas she is wasting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: