SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A RAGE IN MY SOUL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: A RAGE IN MY SOUL Reply with quote

I turned off my television yesterday after watching the media coverage of the President's visit to the Katrina Disaster areas. One reporter stating that after seeing it for himself, maybe NOW the President CAN UNDERSTAND the devastation that has happened. Oh puleeeze!!! I have not turned my TV back on since. The constant carping about the President's failure to respond quick enough is more than I can handle anymore.

Please Lord forgive me, but there is a RAGE in my soul that I never thought I was capable of feeling!!

People have no clue what legal limitations the President and the Federal Government must consider when dealing with state and local governments.

The President was too polite to say so, but THIS WAS A MASSIVE AND UNFORGIVABLE FAILURE AT THE STATE AND LOCAL LEVEL IN LOUISIANA!!!

IMHO, the utter incompetence and lack of taking-action BEFORE Katrina by the mayor and the governor is CRIMINAL and resulted in needless loss of lives!!

Captain Ed has a great post this morning: (Emphasis mine-shawa)
Quote:

~SNIP~
When the storm reached Cat-5 status in the Gulf of Mexico, what did George Bush do? He declared the entire Gulf coast an emergency area and mobilized FEMA. Until it actually made landfall, however, he could not pinpoint the assets. Even at the last moment, the brunt of the storm hit Gulfport, not New Orleans. The levee failure came later, on Tuesday, and until then the damage to New Orleans was major, not catastrophic.

Even so, the existence of the storm off the coast of Louisiana should have prompted governments on all levels to act. What happened? The city of New Orleans and the state of Louisiana asked people to evacuate, but made no preparations to assist people in that endeavor. By Friday the outbound roads clogged with people in cars looking to escape, which all did. However, an entire fleet of school buses -- hundreds of them -- sat in their parking lots, gathering dust. Until George Bush called Governor Blanco personally and pleaded with her(click here) to make the evacuation order mandatory on Saturday, neither Mayor Nagin nor Blanco told people they had to leave. Apparently, that order only went out over the TV and radio from their press conference; no attempt was made to direct people out of their homes and onto the road.

After the levees broke on Tuesday, the situation broke down rapidly, a drearily predictable result. The two main refugee centers, the official one at the Superdome and the ad-hoc site at the Convention Center, should have been evacuated at that point. However, even two days after landfall, New Orleans had not moved its buses(click here)] to high ground to keep them ready for use in case the levees broke. Lousiana's governor had not called out her National Guard units, only 25% of which have deployed to Iraq. With I-10 from the east completely unusable for vehicular traffic and the New Orleans PD completely absorbed by search-and-rescue functions, looting ran wild and order completely broke down. Nagin only ordered the PD to take on looting as a high priority on Thursday.

What did George Bush do? He had a wide area of devastation to manage. Mississippi has also sustained catastrophic damage, with entire towns destroyed, flooded, and unable to fend for themselves. He does not have the authority to call out anyone's National Guard until he federalizes the units, a move usually reserved for use when governors prove recalcitrant in mobilization. Yet within three days of the levee burst and the drowning of New Orleans, Bush had 40,000 troops entering the city to take over the management from Nagin and Blanco, delivering the aid that had waited for lines of communication to get established and the order that the NOPD and Louisiana could not maintain.

We work within a federal system, where cities and states control the allocation of resources used within their borders. We do this because we recognize that, for the most part, federalism works. Local decisions about resource allocation usually create better results than top-down bureaucratic management. The main requirement for that to work is local leadership. Blaming George Bush because he delivered results within three days of the major catastrophic event while following these rules is as silly as blaming Congress for taking five days to pass an aid bill.

The main failure in New Orleans came when the local and state governments refused to recognize that the storm had a high chance to cause catastrophic damage and use its assets to get the poor and infirm out of its way. They had plenty of resources (in vehicles) with which to do that, but left them right where the floods would destroy them. All the rest of the damage would have been mere property destruction, difficult to rebuild but nonetheless easier to accept than the unbelievable hardship we've seen this week.

However, I suspect that all of this will come out in whatever hearings get held after the rescues have been completed. In the meantime, let's continue to focus on getting assistance where needed and drop the idea of holding political events that will distract the very people conducting the emergency operations from their primary tasks. CQ readers have done a wonderful job of helping Catholic Charities, and I would encourage them to keep giving.

Posted by Captain Ed at September 3, 2005 07:03 AM

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/005367.php
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a growing rage.

I am disgusted.

I just read the most inflamitory load of crap/lies I could imagine a moron printing, this linked from Drudge.... to this idiot blogger writing on the moron Huffingtons blog. The idiot says this is all racialy motivated and their is Canabalism.

I want to track the reporter down and beat him senseless.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happened to "The lord helps those who help themselves?"
The day before the storm my brother and his neighbors sent their wifes and children to Arkansas or North to Baton Rouge. He and many of his neighbors stayed behind because they knew there would be looters. After the storm, the entire community gathered, made their plans, pulled the trees out of the roads, pushed the power lines off the street so that they wouldn't be a hinderance to anyone, then they made sure everyone had shelter and a support system. They are sharing their food, water and resources. These people will be doing fine. The will surely need help because every fourth house has a tree embedded in it, but they didn't need to wait for help, they took charge and started doing for themselves. The leadership in New Orleans, on the other hand, is corrupt and incompetent, they have no real leaders, even the mayor is a follower and whiner. This is a time when someone needs to step forward and take charge.
My brother lives in Mandeville (on the other side of Lake Pontchartrain.)
By the way, I still haven't heard from my brother, I learned all this Friday night from one of his neighbors who had a list of people to contact when she got to Baton Rouge. These people are even pooling their gasoline so that when a vehicle leaves it won't run out of fuel and get stranded. This is how Americans should act in crisis.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your brother will be in our thoughts until you make contact. Please keep us advised on your search.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The efforts in NO seem like they are leaderless with no strong personality onsite to rally the troops.

I can hear the people now shouting out one name who can help them save their city: RUDI, RUDI, RUDI, RUDI........

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.

Last edited by PhantomSgt on Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:
Your brother will be in our thoughts until you make contact. Please keep us advised on your search.

Terry,
Thanks for your concern. From the neighbor, her name is Christel, I received a message from my Brother saying that he was fine, his house lost a lot of the roofing shingles, but was otherwise structurally sound and that he had already talked to his wife and kids. Knowing that he is out of harm's way is all I really needed. I'll talk to him when the power and phones are restored.
Jack
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Orleans Mayor "No Noggin" yelled everybody get out, and then abandoned thousands to die, hiking himself off to a Baton Rouge hotel. Then 5 days later when the trucks rolled in with food and supplies he grabs a bullhorn and announces 'I'm here to save y'all!'

Governor "Blanco Brain" just plain choked! It seemed her brain went blank, paralyzed from taking any action. After 4 days of looting, raping and killing, when the troops arrived to save the day, she finally stopped crying and managed to utter the words "Shoot to kill"!

THESE ARE LEADERS????
They should both face criminal charges for dereliction of duty.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
kman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel rage towards the predatory rodents that still infest NO.

Just released today:

September 3, 2005; 11:00 AM CST

BY ORDERS OF THE SHERIFF:

Because of the total breakdown of law and order and the civil insurrection in the City of New Orleans:

No one, including residents, will be permitted to return to St. Bernard Parish until further notice. Please watch this web site for further orders.

The City of New Orleans appears to be in a state of civil insurrection which WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO MIGRATE IN TO ST. BERNARD PARISH.

It is NOT SAFE for residents to travel through Orleans Parish to get home

REPEATING – IT IS NOT SAFE TO TRAVEL THROUGH ORLEANS PARISH TO GET HOME

You will not be allowed into St. Bernard Parish so do not risk your life by traveling through Orleans Parish to get home.

If you attempt to enter St. Bernard at a barricade – turn around and leave immediately. Anyone attempting to evade any barricades will be dealt with severely, including being shot on site.

Please be assured that St. Bernard Parish is safe and secure and we will make every effort to maintain same during this emergency.

cc: News Media

http://www.stbernardparishgovernment.com/page2.html

Last edited by kman on Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with this article, we also have the following article from Tuesday, August 30, the day after the hurricane, where it says;

Quote:
The federal government began rushing baby formula, communications equipment, generators, water and ice into hard-hit areas of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, along with doctors, nurses and first-aid supplies.

The U.S. Defense Department sent experts to help with search-and-rescue operations.

Rescue Work Begins

This non-stop political posturing and bashing of only Bush is sickening me. No one mentions the absolute failure of the Democrats in control of both New Orleans and Louisiana. Yet, little mention of other communities hit as hard, decimated and working to recover.
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's transcript of "No Noggin"'s radio interview. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Mayor to feds: 'Get off your asses'
Transcript of radio interview with New Orleans' Nagin

(CNN) -- New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin blasted the slow pace of federal and state relief efforts in an expletive-laced interview with local radio station WWL-AM.

The following is a transcript of WWL correspondent Garland Robinette's interview with Nagin on Thursday night. Robinette asked the mayor about his conversation with President Bush:

NAGIN: I told him we had an incredible crisis here and that his flying over in Air Force One does not do it justice. And that I have been all around this city, and I am very frustrated because we are not able to marshal resources and we're outmanned in just about every respect. (Listen to the mayor express his frustration in this video -- 12:09)

You know the reason why the looters got out of control? Because we had most of our resources saving people, thousands of people that were stuck in attics, man, old ladies. ... You pull off the doggone ventilator vent and you look down there and they're standing in there in water up to their freaking necks.

And they don't have a clue what's going on down here. They flew down here one time two days after the doggone event was over with TV cameras, AP reporters, all kind of goddamn -- excuse my French everybody in America, but I am pissed.

WWL: Did you say to the president of the United States, "I need the military in here"?

NAGIN: I said, "I need everything."

Now, I will tell you this -- and I give the president some credit on this -- he sent one John Wayne dude down here that can get some stuff done, and his name is [Lt.] Gen. [Russel] Honore.

And he came off the doggone chopper, and he started cussing and people started moving. And he's getting some stuff done.

They ought to give that guy -- if they don't want to give it to me, give him full authority to get the job done, and we can save some people.

WWL: What do you need right now to get control of this situation?

NAGIN: I need reinforcements, I need troops, man. I need 500 buses, man. We ain't talking about -- you know, one of the briefings we had, they were talking about getting public school bus drivers to come down here and bus people out here.

I'm like, "You got to be kidding me. This is a national disaster. Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get their asses moving to New Orleans."

That's -- they're thinking small, man. And this is a major, major, major deal. And I can't emphasize it enough, man. This is crazy.

I've got 15,000 to 20,000 people over at the convention center. It's bursting at the seams. The poor people in Plaquemines Parish. ... We don't have anything, and we're sharing with our brothers in Plaquemines Parish.

It's awful down here, man.

WWL: Do you believe that the president is seeing this, holding a news conference on it but can't do anything until [Louisiana Gov.] Kathleen Blanco requested him to do it? And do you know whether or not she has made that request?

NAGIN: I have no idea what they're doing. But I will tell you this: You know, God is looking down on all this, and if they are not doing everything in their power to save people, they are going to pay the price. Because every day that we delay, people are dying and they're dying by the hundreds, I'm willing to bet you.

We're getting reports and calls that are breaking my heart, from people saying, "I've been in my attic. I can't take it anymore. The water is up to my neck. I don't think I can hold out." And that's happening as we speak.

You know what really upsets me, Garland? We told everybody the importance of the 17th Street Canal issue. We said, "Please, please take care of this. We don't care what you do. Figure it out."

WWL: Who'd you say that to?

NAGIN: Everybody: the governor, Homeland Security, FEMA. You name it, we said it.

And they allowed that pumping station next to Pumping Station 6 to go under water. Our sewage and water board people ... stayed there and endangered their lives.

And what happened when that pumping station went down, the water started flowing again in the city, and it starting getting to levels that probably killed more people.

In addition to that, we had water flowing through the pipes in the city. That's a power station over there.

So there's no water flowing anywhere on the east bank of Orleans Parish. So our critical water supply was destroyed because of lack of action.

WWL: Why couldn't they drop the 3,000-pound sandbags or the containers that they were talking about earlier? Was it an engineering feat that just couldn't be done?

NAGIN: They said it was some pulleys that they had to manufacture. But, you know, in a state of emergency, man, you are creative, you figure out ways to get stuff done.

Then they told me that they went overnight, and they built 17 concrete structures and they had the pulleys on them and they were going to drop them.

I flew over that thing yesterday, and it's in the same shape that it was after the storm hit. There is nothing happening. And they're feeding the public a line of bull and they're spinning, and people are dying down here.

WWL: If some of the public called and they're right, that there's a law that the president, that the federal government can't do anything without local or state requests, would you request martial law?

NAGIN: I've already called for martial law in the city of New Orleans. We did that a few days ago.

WWL: Did the governor do that, too?

NAGIN: I don't know. I don't think so.

But we called for martial law when we realized that the looting was getting out of control. And we redirected all of our police officers back to patrolling the streets. They were dead-tired from saving people, but they worked all night because we thought this thing was going to blow wide open last night. And so we redirected all of our resources, and we hold it under check.

I'm not sure if we can do that another night with the current resources.

And I am telling you right now: They're showing all these reports of people looting and doing all that weird stuff, and they are doing that, but people are desperate and they're trying to find food and water, the majority of them.

Now you got some knuckleheads out there, and they are taking advantage of this lawless -- this situation where, you know, we can't really control it, and they're doing some awful, awful things. But that's a small majority of the people. Most people are looking to try and survive.

And one of the things people -- nobody's talked about this. Drugs flowed in and out of New Orleans and the surrounding metropolitan area so freely it was scary to me, and that's why we were having the escalation in murders. People don't want to talk about this, but I'm going to talk about it.

You have drug addicts that are now walking around this city looking for a fix, and that's the reason why they were breaking in hospitals and drugstores. They're looking for something to take the edge off of their jones, if you will.

And right now, they don't have anything to take the edge off. And they've probably found guns. So what you're seeing is drug-starving crazy addicts, drug addicts, that are wrecking havoc. And we don't have the manpower to adequately deal with it. We can only target certain sections of the city and form a perimeter around them and hope to God that we're not overrun.

WWL: Well, you and I must be in the minority. Because apparently there's a section of our citizenry out there that thinks because of a law that says the federal government can't come in unless requested by the proper people, that everything that's going on to this point has been done as good as it can possibly be.

NAGIN: Really?

WWL: I know you don't feel that way.

NAGIN: Well, did the tsunami victims request? Did it go through a formal process to request?

You know, did the Iraqi people request that we go in there? Did they ask us to go in there? What is more important?

And I'll tell you, man, I'm probably going get in a whole bunch of trouble. I'm probably going to get in so much trouble it ain't even funny. You probably won't even want to deal with me after this interview is over.

WWL: You and I will be in the funny place together.

NAGIN: But we authorized $8 billion to go to Iraq lickety-quick. After 9/11, we gave the president unprecedented powers lickety-quick to take care of New York and other places.

Now, you mean to tell me that a place where most of your oil is coming through, a place that is so unique when you mention New Orleans anywhere around the world, everybody's eyes light up -- you mean to tell me that a place where you probably have thousands of people that have died and thousands more that are dying every day, that we can't figure out a way to authorize the resources that we need? Come on, man.

You know, I'm not one of those drug addicts. I am thinking very clearly.

And I don't know whose problem it is. I don't know whether it's the governor's problem. I don't know whether it's the president's problem, but somebody needs to get their ass on a plane and sit down, the two of them, and figure this out right now.

WWL: What can we do here?

NAGIN: Keep talking about it.

WWL: We'll do that. What else can we do?

NAGIN: Organize people to write letters and make calls to their congressmen, to the president, to the governor. Flood their doggone offices with requests to do something. This is ridiculous.

I don't want to see anybody do anymore goddamn press conferences. Put a moratorium on press conferences. Don't do another press conference until the resources are in this city. And then come down to this city and stand with us when there are military trucks and troops that we can't even count.

Don't tell me 40,000 people are coming here. They're not here. It's too doggone late. Now get off your asses and do something, and let's fix the biggest goddamn crisis in the history of this country.

WWL: I'll say it right now, you're the only politician that's called and called for arms like this. And if -- whatever it takes, the governor, president -- whatever law precedent it takes, whatever it takes, I bet that the people listening to you are on your side.

NAGIN: Well, I hope so, Garland. I am just -- I'm at the point now where it don't matter. People are dying. They don't have homes. They don't have jobs. The city of New Orleans will never be the same in this time.

WWL: We're both pretty speechless here.

NAGIN: Yeah, I don't know what to say. I got to go.

WWL: OK. Keep in touch. Keep in touch.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/nagin.transcript/
(sorry for this link, I couldn't find another)
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to see any of the great black leaders roll their sleeves up and help out..all they do is rip Bush.....
Demaris
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son-in-law and his sister volunteered for a few hours at the Astrodome yesterday. They heard many horror stories. My son-in-law came home exhausted late last night and with a migraine.

He and his sister were told, among other things, that the reason for all the shooting, looting, and other acts of crime....was that there is a drug war going on in New Orleans, one assumes among rival gangs.

You can't pin that one on George Bush. And I hope both the Governor of Louisiana, and the mayor of New Orleans lose their next election. If this had happened in Houston, Texas, you can bet there would have been an entirely different scenario.
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So His Excellency the mayor credits the President with sending in a General who "got off the helicopter cuss'n" and things started happening.

Well Mr. Mayor, you seem to have no problem cuss'n everyone out side of your city, including the President, for not helping. Maybe you should have used some of that bombast to take control yourself.

Someone above mentioned hoping he and the Governor lose the next election. I like the idea of criminal charges for dereliction of duty better.

The picture of hundreds of NOLA school busses sitting with water up to their windows haunts me. I read the transcript of a news conference by the Mayor and Governer held two days before the storm. The Governer said she had recieved a personal call from the President urging them to make the evacuation manditory. Up to that point they had been "suggesting" that people leave?

How long has NO been below sea level? How long have there been poor and elderly? How long have people been warning about this? At the first hint of a Cat 4 storm an evac plan (assuming they had the foresight to have one) should have had one of those busses on every block in town. In the parlance of your average Middle Schooler........DUH!?!?!?!?

God Bless our President!!! Without pointing a fingure or making excuses (remember Clinton after Waco...."Uh, that was Janet Reno's responsibility) he is leading instead of grandstanding, even after having to undo the mess those two created. The storm was bad enough without having to cope with whining, excuse makeing and general irresponsibility, not just of the LA leadership but of many of the people too.

Mississippi was not only flooded, it was flattened. I have heard nothing but resolute determination out of there. With a fraction of the money that NO and LA will get, they will be back on their feet in a fraction of the time.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really sick over the coverage, too. CNN has been absolutely abominable, giving lots of airtime to the "racist" charge and anything that reflects poorly on the Bush administration.

We're spending half a billion dollars a day right now. Louisiana could have spent a billion to have those busses loaded and ready to roll with security and team leaders with credit cards to arrange motel rooms, meals, etc. - how many people died or will die because they were too poor to get out?

So many are on state aid - their benefits cards could have been conditionally filled with certain amounts that could be used only to pay for gas, bus or plane tickets, meals and hotel rooms for a week so those people could have had a chance. And at a much lower cost than what we're paying now to cover all the misses in preparation by the local government.

And what is with this "racist" mantra? Calling people "refugees" is racist? WTH? According to Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and several other so-called civil rights leaders it is! You'd think it's freakin' 1970 all over again!

Hint to the clueless: a refugee is a person who flees a place of danger to another place where there is safety. Refugees come in all colors!

I sure haven't heard of or seen a single person turned away from those helicopters or busses because they're any particular color. Sharpton and Jackson need to stop inciting people to hatred for each other.

People all across the world, but especially this country, are opening their wallets to do whatever they can to help - and they don't give a damn what color the people are who will benefit from their gifts!
DaveS
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching this I have been as mad as anyone at the Mayor, Gov and our President. Now that I am seeing more of the relief come in it is becoming more obvious what has occurred. Alabama and Mississippi were prepared and have responded as well as could be expected based on the amount of damage. Louisiana did not prepare, did not evacuate, did not step up and have its elected officials show leadership and reach out for Federal help when it was initially available. Any one that followed this and knows about disaster preparedness knows that President Bush declared a Natural Diaster days prior to the storm making landfall. The Governor did not reach out and ask for the available help until days after the storm.

With all the help we see being given by the great state of Texas could anyone with half a brain not figure out that President Bush has (behind the scenes) made sure that his home state stepped up and demonstrated all the qualities that Louisiania officials have failed to show.

The Mayor, Governor and State Director of Homeland Security should be removed from office effective today and some thought should be given to criminal proceedings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: