SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sgt. Mark Matthews (Oldest Buffalo Soldier) Dies at 111

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Sgt. Mark Matthews (Oldest Buffalo Soldier) Dies at 111 Reply with quote

Quote:
Sgt. Mark Matthews Dies at 111; Was Oldest Buffalo Soldier

By Joe Holley
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, September 13, 2005; Page B06

Retired 1st Sgt. Mark Matthews, 111, one of the last of the nation's legendary Buffalo Soldiers, died of pneumonia Sept. 6 at Fox Chase Nursing Home in Washington.

Sgt. Matthews, who also was the oldest Buffalo Soldier, was heir to a proud military heritage that originated with the black soldiers who fought in the Indian wars on the Western frontier. Historians say that the Cheyenne, Kiowa and Apache tribes bestowed the appellation because the soldiers' black, curly hair reminded them of a buffalo's mane.

Given Native American reverence for the sturdy animal of the Plains, the soldiers wore the nickname proudly -- and with good reason. The Buffalo Soldiers won 20 Medals of Honor, more than any other regiment. They also helped lay hundreds of miles of roads and telegraph lines, protected stagecoaches, were involved in the military actions against the Apache chiefs Victorio and Geronimo and fought bravely in Cuba at the side of Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders during the Spanish-American War.

Washington Post article, may require free registration;

Read More
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

111 years old. Wow! Think of the memories he must have carried. That's a lot of years covering the greatest changes in everyday life since the beginning of the world.
Wonder what he thought of today's world?
Dusty
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:
111 years old. Wow! Think of the memories he must have carried. That's a lot of years covering the greatest changes in everyday life since the beginning of the world.
Wonder what he thought of today's world?
Dusty

It also demonstrates that we are not that far distant from our past. There are many still among us who lived those times or have memories of those who were there. The Wall Street Journal had a piece several months ago on the living sons and daughter of Civil War Veterans. These people were born when their fathers were older, but nonetheless this is worth thinking about.
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

111 years - he must have been single. Easy living and no job list waiting.
(Just kidding ladies - I have been with the same woman for 30 yrs and everyday is a joy) I wouldn't trade her for the world, but a bigger truck and boat may make me think hard.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very right GM, my dad was born in '05, grandfather in 1875 and great-grandfather 1848. (me '59). I like to astound people by telling them my grandfather was born a mere ten years after Lincoln was assassinated. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: