SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Stockdale Paradox and the modern Left

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
directorblue
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: The Stockdale Paradox and the modern Left Reply with quote

What Admiral Stockdale can teach us about today's Left:

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2005/09/stockdale-paradox-and-modern-left-im.html

...While reading this, I had what could only be termed an epiphany. The modern Left are precisely analogous to Stockdale's "Optimists." Their philosophy: if we ignore the global war on terror, the problem will... go away.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great analogy directorblue

snip from from the link (worth a visit)... from Jim Collins' conversation with Admiral Stockdale.

Quote:
You can understand, then, my anticipation at the prospect of spending part of an afternoon with Stockdale...

...we continued the slow walk toward the faculty club, Stockdale limping and arc-swinging his stiff leg that had never fully recovered from repeated torture. Finally, after about a hundred meters of silence, I asked, "Who didn't make it out?"

"Oh, that's easy," he said, "The optimists."

"The optimists? I don't understand," I said...

"The optimists. Oh, they were the ones who said, 'We're going to be out by Christmas.' And Christmas would come, and Christmas would go. Then they'd say, 'We're going to be out by Easter.' And Easter would come, and Easter would go. And then Thanksgiving, and then it would be Christmas again. And they died of a broken heart."

Another along pause... he turned to me and said, "This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith you will prevail in the end -- which you can never afford to lose -- with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they may be."

To this day, I carry a mental image of Stockdale admonishing the optimists: "We're not getting out by Christmas, deal with it!"

(Collins coined 'The Stockdale Paradox' in his book Good to Great)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: