SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Louisville Courier-Journal Slimes Swiftees
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Louisville Courier-Journal Slimes Swiftees Reply with quote

Ya know, I thought I had somewhat immunized myself to the canards regularly published about the SVPT/Kerry story. I've clung to the hope (and still do) that the drastically needed followup to this story will be coming down the pike and will expose these journalistic charlatans for what they are. But this particular piece of blatant crap by the editorial board of the Louisville-Courier is the capper and it's time to to start countering each and every instance of this garbage with a letter to the editor. Ladies...Gentlemen...man your keyboards.

Quote:
Cindy Sheehan's protest
Louisville Courier-Journal
Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The protests of Cindy Sheehan, the California woman who has camped outside President Bush's ranch and says she won't leave until he meets with her to discuss the war in Iraq, are inevitably being caught in the riptides of larger forces.

Of course, anti-war and anti-Bush activists have leaped to take advantage of the grief and anger of Mrs. Sheehan, whose son, Casey, was killed last year in Baghdad. Political passion seeks out and attaches itself to powerful symbols, and that is what has happened in Texas.

Nevertheless, Bush supporters are shocked -- shocked -- by such behavior. That anyone can condemn the mother of a fallen soldier shows just how pitiless American politics has become. But in any case, these same folks thought it was just dandy when groups like the Swift Boat veterans slimed John Kerry last year -- and what they had to say wasn't even true.

Louisville Courier-Journal - cont'd
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny isn't it? All the leftstream loonies have to do is say something is a lie and it automatically is, no matter what. Yet, none of them will ever take the time to actually show what was lies.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph Goebbels, the Nazi Minister of Propaganda for Adolf Hitler said, "If you tell a lie often enough, and loud enough, people will believe it. " Goebbels also said "The bigger the lie, the easier it is to get people to believe it. " These liberals and lefties tell themselves, the media, and anyone who will listen that we Swiftvets are liars. They do this loudly, often and repeat it with every available opportunity.
It's no wonder people think this about us.
I still take offense, every time.
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keyboard is maned here. Where is best place to write?

do you have a link or addy that you want letters to go too.?

"We are all Ghost now"
"But once we were men"

from an unsigned diary recovered from Cabanatuan Camp
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeman wrote:
keyboard is maned here. Where is best place to write?

do you have a link or addy that you want letters to go too.?

"Letters to the editor" is always a good starting point. In this case, the Courier-Journal uses a web-based e-mail form at http://www.courier-journal.com/cjconnect/edletter.htm .

I've decided to work on a template response to this typically over-stated, non-specific canard. When I get the text written and archived, I can edit it to respond more specifically to an individual column or opinion...but it will be useful to have the "facts" of an SVPT rebuttal laid out in a format that newspaper editors might deem publishable.

There are other common dodges and canards which you see quite often (and probably can be categorized) that are ripe for an archived response, one of which was used by Aaron Brown of CNN in another topic. Brown asserts that his crack investigative group (/sarcasm) just ran out of time in exposing the untruths of the SVPT initiative...
Aaron Brown wrote:
By the time we could establish, by looking at the available record and what the accusers had said over the course of time, that what they were saying did not stand the test (emphasis added) the story was over.

No facts presented (nor is the "test" delineated)...just the assertion that they had the "goods" (my characterization) on the SVPT. How's THAT for some credible journalism? (makes you want to barf).

Another is the Kerry dodge that's often echoed...to paraphrase: "I should have responded earlier" or "Had I only responded earlier...". Of course, the unstated TRUTH is the FACT that Kerry NEVER RESPONDED AT ALL!

There are many more to deal with along these lines and it will be a chore trying to write an "op-edible" response to all this claptrap, but I'll give it a whirl. We've ALL been looking for someplace to expend our energies. IMHO, well-composed LTTEs (Letters to the Editors) would be a worthwhile endeavor. Wordsmiths...man your keyboards.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good template would be nice Smile If we could get all SVFT peeps here on this board and anyone else (friends/family) to send at least 1 letter each, maybe they will get the point that there are many of us out here to oppose their lies (meaning we are still reading their trash)...

MJ
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, there's a short treatise somewhere in this forum from a topic addressing how to best compose a LTTE. It takes a certain knack and style to get published, that's fersure. Rants need not apply.
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
As I recall, there's a short treatise somewhere in this forum from a topic addressing how to best compose a LTTE. It takes a certain knack and style to get published, that's fersure. Rants need not apply.

IN my younger days, fresh out of the military, I was good at writing reports.. with all of the bread and butter... Been well over a decade now and I can't write a post without a typo or some disasterous effect anymore Wink gone rusty Razz

LOL, don't worry about me ranting... I take my steam out at my PC every other day Wink
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reader's Digest Condensed version, since I'm up to my eyeballs in packing boxes and cleaning supplies: Wink

1. Short and sweet - one or two main points - three, tops - and then only if they're quick bullets. Three paragraphs - opening, (which is your proposition or thesis) arguments to support your opening, then a short concluding statement.

2. Polite and respectful, always, even if your blood pressure is hovering around the ceiling. (of a blimp hangar Wink )

3. Use spell and grammar check tools - don't use colloquialisms or vulgar words. Get the thesaurus out and use precise language.

4. Double-space and use plain fonts for readability.
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
don't use colloquialisms or vulgar words

I avoid them, at all costs... since using them would make what you're trying to say TOTALLY useless :\ DON'T stoop to their level peeps!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ, I use all my allotment of profanity and vulgarity here!

Laughing

I think that's why I can write reasonably when I need to - I have this "safety valve," on this board. Wink
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a letter I wrote to another paper stored somewhere in My Documents I can fire off. If I can find it. Wink
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love Tom Wright's web activism. I've seen him get "in their face" on many occasions in various forums and LTTEs.

Here's a recent one (not exactly WaPo or NYT exposure level) that I was "Google alert(ed)" to today...

Quote:
Letters published August 17, 2005

Get Their Drift

It's their story, and they're sticking to it: In regard to your statement "fresh on the heels of their successful Swift Boat smear campaign against John Kerry" [First Punch, August 3]: SwiftVets is not a political group. We are Vietnam veterans. We were successful because we told the truth. Ask John Kerry about his "Christmas in Cambodia"; he now admits that he wasn't there.

No one has successfully challenged our facts, yet the media continues to smear Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

Tom Wright
Savannah, Georgia

http://www.clevescene.com/Issues/2005-08-17/news/letters.html

and here's a typical lefty response...you're gonna LOVE this...

Quote:
Letters published August 24, 2005

Mouthful of Lies

Swifties' tactics not so swift: Those Swift Boat crybabies can't seem to open their mouths without lies spilling out, as career John Kerry-hater Tom Wright illustrates when he claims, "No one has successfully challenged our facts . . ." [Letters, August 17]. A simple internet search using the words "Swift Boat vet lies" turns up pages of documents disputing just about everything these slimeballs ever spewed in their pathetically relentless attacks against Kerry.
Concerning Swift Boats in Cambodia, John O'Neill (another Swifty coward) admitted in 1971 that he entered Cambodia. These misguided vets blame Kerry for everything from extending the Vietnam War to ending it early, just because they weren't pelted with flowers when they came home. Every one of their arguments is specious and dismissible.

It just shows that there will always be veterans of worthless wars and battles who insist that their cause was just, because otherwise they would lose face and feel less than heroic. Small minds abound, and there will always be those who want to trust that their leaders and government would never waste their lives or send them into frivolous wars and battles in the first place, but would ensure that their cause is just.

Steve Daniels
Cleveland

http://www.clevescene.com/Issues/2005-08-24/news/letters.html

Here's the article that inspired Tom's pen, and my LTTE inre Mr. Daniel's comments is already in the mail. Mad
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gee, he's claiming the Swiftboat vets are liars 'cause the name and 'liar' comes up on a search?

isn't he just brilliant! duh! hey, dingbat - wonder why that is????

back it up with the facts !

- that ticks me off about BOR - he slimed the SBV's w/o giving the facts
(cause he didn't have any) yet if you email him (or on show) he demands you back up your statements w/ FACTS.
.... time to email him again....

yeah, we've all gotten to silent haven't we?

time to get LOUD again!
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very timely... sKerry's speech day before yesterday - slamming Bush - is a very clear indicator that he's testing the waters again for a rerun. He can't be successful unless he can nullify the Swiftees' charges. So you can fully expect to see more and more of this coming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: