SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEMA Director Brown's hearing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: FEMA Director Brown's hearing Reply with quote

This is great. Brown isn't going to pull any punches. I'm loving this. NOW we're gonna start finding out just who screwed up and who didn't.
Gonna be real interesting how the left will spin his words. They surely will.

Dusty
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im watching it right now, what a bunch of blowhards. They're interupting each other trying to take thier best shots. I think they got a case of "hey look at me", sheehanism. I think this commitee is jelous over the Roberts stuff and now its thier turn to let the sun shine on me! Cool
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was disappointed when C-SPAN cut to House proceedings. It was really getting interesting!
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ Strata at Strata-sphere blog writes a good rebuttal to Michelle Malkin's take on Brown. I heartily agree with AJ.
IMO "armchairing is easy" and that is exactly what we are seeing from these blowhards castigating Brown at the hearing today.
Quote:
Three Cheers for Michael Brown
I have found the need by pundits, left and right, to jump on Michael Brown as the reason the Katrina response was ‘not adequate’ to be the the epitomy of arrogance. I site this statement from the recent hearings with Michael Brown as a warning to armchair critiques acting as if they are instant experts:

“I’ve overseen over 150 presidentially declared disasters. I know what I’m doing, and I think I do a pretty darn good job of it,” he said.

To Congress, media and bloggers alike - if you want my respect on this subject you better come equipped with some hands on experience of your own. Armchairing is easy - so easy it becomes an addiction. I fear to be struck with this affliction constantly. In his NY Times interview he mentioned one day where he gave directions and then set out to survey the situation first hand. The survey is necessary so he can comprehend the scope of the situation, the layout of where problems lie and access points, etc. He returns to find what he wanted done not done. Somehow this is Brown’s fault???

Mr. Brown passed the list on to the state emergency operations center in Baton Rouge, but when he returned that evening he was surprised to find that nothing had been done.

Continued at STRATA-SPHERE

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rep. William Jefferson (D-LA) Used National Guard to Visit His House in Affluent, Uptown Neighborhood. Sept. 2, truck got stuck and they had to be rescued.

Guess who one of the inquisitors was?? /Rep. William Jefferson (D-LA)
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rep. William Jefferson, The New Grand Inquisitor Torqemada! Twisted Evil
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed this. Jefferson is under investigation as a crook, two links:

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20803

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/HurricaneKatrina/story?id=1123495&page=1
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For pete's sake, whats up with these William Jefferson guys? Iv'e called Clinton "slick willy" for so long, I forgot his name is William Jefferson (slick willy) Clinton! Wink
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one reason I love Freepers site, is their live threads
can catch up when I get home from work & get the gist

some Brown quotes from today's hearing

Quote:

I regret I was unable to convince Blanco and Nagin to sit down together and resolve their differences.

I should have pushed Louisiana harder. I don't want to make this partisan, but Mississippi and Alabama and Florida did not have problems with evacuations.

For whattever reason, Blanco and Nagin were reluctant to start a mandatory evacuation, the other states weren't.

No, there was no other agency that could have forced LA to issue a mandatory evacuation sooner. I regret I couldn't make it happen.

Maybe I could ve gotten on the phone with the president earlier and asked him to instigate evacuation.

My biggest mistake was not recognizing by Saturday that Louisiana was dysfunctional.

I PERSONALLY pushed the governor for evacuation before landfall

"Mr Jefferson I know you saw what I saw..NO ONE WAS IN CHARGE"...

Head of Nattional Hurricane Center personally called governor and mayor to give them warnings (first time in 35 (?) years he had done that). Nevertheless, evacuation was not ordered until Sunday afternoon.

Mistakes are always made. But the system was functioning in other states and not functioning in LA.

wonder if there was an agreeement for Brown to step down, so that he could speak out like this
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time after the testimony ended, LA Gov. Blank-o said that Brown lied under oath to the Committee. I hope Brown pursues this and forces Her Excellency to back it up or face slander charges.

Schadow
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya'll reckon Blanko is feeling the noose getting tighter? She should, it is.
Mayor 'Who, ME?' Nagin doesn't seem to have enough sense to realize he needs to move to another country that doesn't have extradition treaties with the U.S.

Dusty
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Hinderaker of Powerline sums up my sentiments on the "hearing".

Quote:
Brownie Kicks Butt

I've just watched the entire appearance of Michael Brown before the House committee investigating Hurricane Katrina--OK, not the whole thing, but they're taking a break now and it's all I can stand. On the whole, Brown did an excellent job. I don't suppose many people saw his appearance, but of those who did, most no doubt learned something about the division of responsibility in emergency management.

Of those who participated in the hearing, Brown was by far the most impressive. Democratic Congressman William Jefferson of Louisiana was his party's designated hit-man, but it was painfully evident that his opening speech was a filibuster. He didn't dare stop talking for fear that Brown would have an opportunity to answer his questions. But it wasn't just the Democrats; "Republican" Congressman Christopher Shays, too, was an ill-informed disgrace.

It's hard to say what a marginally-informed citizen would make of the Katrina hearing, but my own impression was that the only person in the room who had any idea what he was talking about was Michael Brown. Many years ago, I harbored a prejudice against public employees and politicians. After I spent several decades working in the private sector, in constant contact with the public sector, I realized that both politicians and civil servants are much more capable than I had assumed--fully equal to leaders in the private sector, and sometimes superior. So it doesn't shock me that the head of FEMA is far more articulate in discussing emergency preparedness than the often dim-witted Congressmen who yammered at him.

No doubt FEMA's performance was imperfect. What else is new? But Michael Brown didn't flood New Orleans. Nor did he fail to order a mandatory evacuation. Nor, when the order was finally given by the appropriate authorities, was he the one who failed to carry it out competently. I thought it was a mistake when President Bush cashiered Brown, and his performance tonight validates that judgment. FEMA's position is eminently defensible. But the Bush administration, historically, has failed to defend its own agencies aggressively, and instead has passively yielded to the news cycle.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/ 27 Sept 05

Schadow
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Brown needed the paycheck. If he was still a department head he wouldn't have the freedom to speak the truth to this kangaroo court.

One of my favorite exchanges was (more or less):

Interogative: Why didn't you coordinate with the Louisiana Head of Emergency response?

Brown: There was no one there, the post was vacant.

Inter': Do you know why that post was vacant? What happened to the man in that position?

Brown: He was under indictment.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal favorite was while he gave his bio where he reminded the ?MSM? that he's had 20+ years Emergency Management experience...as opposed to the Media repeating the lies of such sound sources as 'horsesA$$.org' !!! Smile

Deuce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: