SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bill Bennett

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Bill Bennett Reply with quote

The man was discussing a book called "Freakonomics" which talked about abortion. He stated early on in this discussion that the idea was morally reprehensible. The previously locked thread seems to have missed this point as obviously the poster had not heard the commentary. I did.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he did say that - but regardless of any moderating remarks he may have added, his comments came from 1) a painfully insensitive and life-dismissive premise and 2) bad science.

This man used to be one of the most forward-thinking conservatives in the country - very respected.

How hard could it have been to take a look at some statistics and see that while the abortion rate has spiralled out of control in predominantly black areas, the crime rate has not made a corresponding downturn?

If abortion would solve the crime problem, why does crime go up wherever abortion does?

His premise is false and he served only to widen the racial divide precisely at a time when we need healing.

His comments also devalue life.
Demaris
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that post...twice.

There is no way that Mr. Bennet's quote can possibly be defended. Yes, he said the idea was morally rephrenshible...but he then went on to make his completely indefensible and racist statement....*after* he had already said that the idea of abortion was morally indefensible.

There's no excuse, and no way to defend that. None at all.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the forum...

The purpose in locking the original thread was to avoid what will inevitably become a divisive and rancorous discourse. There are more than enogh venues on the internet in which BOTH perspectives on this issue may be argued. This forum is NOT one of them. It is inappropriate here.

I am locking this thread...again.

Please take this discussion elsewhere and I will delete any further apparitions of this content.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Admin
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: