SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Espionage Case Breaches The White House

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Espionage Case Breaches The White House Reply with quote

A holdover from Clinton era!!

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=1187030&page=1

Quote:
Espionage Case Breaches the White House
Accused Marine Worked in Vice President's Office

By BRIAN ROSS and RICHARD ESPOSITO

Oct. 5, 2005 — - Both the FBI and CIA are calling it the first case of espionage in the White House in modern history.

Officials tell ABC News the alleged spy worked undetected at the White House for almost three years. Leandro Aragoncillo, 46, was a U.S. Marine most recently assigned to the staff of Vice President Dick Cheney.

"I don't know of a case where the vetting broke down before and resulted in a spy being in the White House," said Richard Clarke, a former White House advisor who is now an ABC News consultant.

Federal investigators say Aragoncillo, a naturalized citizen from the Philippines, used his top secret clearance to steal classified intelligence documents from White House computers.

In 2000, Aragoncillo worked on the staff of then-Vice President Al Gore. When interviewed by Philippine television, he remarked how valued Philippine employees were at the White House.

"I think what they like most is our integrity and loyalty," Aragoncillo said.

Classified Material Transferred by E-Mail
Officials say the classified material, which Aragoncillo stole from the vice president's office, included damaging dossiers on the president of the Philippines. He then passed those on to opposition politicians planning a coup in the Pacific nation.

"Even though it's not for the Russians or some other government, the fact that it occurred at the White House is a matter of great concern," said John Martin, who was the government's lead espionage prosecutor for 26 years.

Last year, after leaving the Marines, Aragoncillo was caught by the FBI while he worked for the Bureau at an intelligence center at Fort Monmouth, N.J.

According to a criminal complaint, Aragoncillo was arrested last month and accused of downloading more than 100 classified documents from FBI computers.

"The information was transferred mostly by e-mails," said U.S. Attorney Christopher J. Christie at the time of Aragoncillo's arrest.

Since that arrest, officials say Aragoncillo has started to cooperate. He has admitted to spying while working on the staff of Vice President Cheney's office.

Aragoncillo began working at the White House in 1999. Officials are now trying to learn how he landed the job, when he started spying, and how he escaped detection for so long.

"Of course, it is a source of embarrassment when you find out that this kind of activity has been carried out literally right under your nose," said Martin, the former espionage prosecutor.

According to friends, in addition to his work for Cheney and Gore, Aragoncillo claimed he also worked with President Clinton and Condoleezza Rice when she was the national security advisor.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, He was a busy boy!
Stealing classified docs from the Vice-President's office.
Then he leaves the Marines and works at the FBI Intelligence Center downloading tons of classified material.
Quote:
According to a criminal complaint, Aragoncillo was arrested last month and accused of downloading more than 100 classified documents from FBI computers.

The Philippines is a hotbed for al Qaida. Just who was this 'opposition' that he was supplying with information??? Was Qaida getting direct intelligence info from the WH and FBI???

Link to docs re FBI charges
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
Hmmm, He was a busy boy!
Stealing classified docs from the Vice-President's office.
Then he leaves the Marines and works at the FBI Intelligence Center downloading tons of classified material.
Quote:

The Philippines is a hotbed for al Qaida. Just who was this 'opposition' that he was supplying with information??? Was Qaida getting direct intelligence info from the WH and FBI???

Link to docs re FBI charges

It appears the Philippine opposition to President Arroyo were the ones the information was sent to.

Deposed President Estrada, Senator Lacson, Estrada's son Jingoy and several other opposition officials recieved the classified information.

The go between in the USA for hard copy information was a former aide of Senator Lacson when Lacson was Chief of the Philippine National Police under President Estrada. He was an illegal alien overstay in New York awaiting his deportation hearing. He had earlier fled the Philippines where he was facing murder charges.

This is just the "tip of the iceberg" as to what information was compromised by Argoncillo. The public will never hear the "rest of the story" concerning this matter.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprized it was'nt a story about an illegal working in the white house, let clinton back in and it will happen. Rolling Eyes
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this disgrace to the Corps gets the hardest time possible, will it be Leavenworth or a military stockade?
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will sleep just fine if the little ungratefull pos busts rocks for 20 years, PS. I bet the punk don't come crying on my shoulder, let him go back to driving a jetnee in alongapoo! Evil or Very Mad
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue9t3 wrote:
I will sleep just fine if the little ungratefull pos busts rocks for 20 years, PS. I bet the punk don't come crying on my shoulder, let him go back to driving a jetnee in alongapoo! Evil or Very Mad

A Plea Bargain is being worked that will let the FBI know all the details of what was passed over by the Perp. I imagine he will end up at a Martha Stewart endorsed government resort.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: