SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

President Bush personally pins on Purple Heart for Soldier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: President Bush personally pins on Purple Heart for Soldier Reply with quote

http://reg.knoxnews.com/kns/web/registrationForm?from=www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article/0,1406,KNS_347_4138908,00.html

President Bush shakes the hand of Sgt. 1st Class Richard Robertson
of Anderson County on Wednesday as his wife, Sarah Robertson,
watches after the president presented him with the Purple Heart
at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington.

Quote:
October 7, 2005

Knoxville News Sentinel

Sgt. 1st Class Richard C. Robertson has lost two close comrades, the use of his legs and the career he loved. But he hasn't lost his sense of humor.

Nor, apparently, has he lost his sense of timing.

Wednesday the 36-year-old Anderson County native was preparing for his daily physical therapy regimen when a nurse announced a "special guest" wanted to pin him with a Purple Heart.

He lamented the unexpected guest was going to interrupt his therapy and hoped it would be quick and easy.

But when President Bush and first lady Laura Bush walked into his Walter Reed Army Medical Center ward, the 17-year Army veteran scrambled to impress the commander in chief.

His mother, Frances Inman, told the story Thursday about her son's fleeting brush with President Bush in Washington the previous day.

"Bush walked up to him and asked, 'How about those legs, soldier?' and he said, 'Well, sir, I went from being a paratrooper to a paraplegic,' " Inman said. "Everyone in the room started laughing."

The story of how Robertson went from Anderson County High School soccer standout to Walter Reed jokester is one of years of hard work, sacrifice and love of country.

He joined the Army immediately after his 1988 high school graduation.

"He knew since he was 7 years old that he wanted to be a soldier," Inman said. "He always knew that's what he wanted, and that's what he did."

Three years later, he made his first of many trips to the Middle East as part of Operation Desert Storm. After the coalition swept Iraqi forces from Kuwait, Robertson spent the next 12 years shifting around Army installations.

He served with the 75th Field Artillery Brigade at Fort Sill, Okla., the 4th Infantry Division at Fort Hood, Texas, and the 25th Infantry Division at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, and finally as a recruiter in Washington state before he took a stab at Special Operations.

Along the way, he married and had a daughter.

Three years ago, he transferred to Fort Bragg, N.C., to become part of the highly selective Special Operations community and since has made three separate tours in Iraq.

"He doesn't think he's a hero," Inman said. "He knows we're making a difference over there and that a lot of Iraqi people want us there to help."

Six weeks ago, Robertson was participating in a mission in Iraq near the Syrian border. The vehicle he was driving struck an improvised explosive device.

Three soldiers died as a result of the Aug. 25 blast, including two members of his unit.

Robertson survived but broke his back in three places. His severe spinal cord injuries left him without feeling below his waist, according to Inman.

His mother said despite the prospect of life in a wheelchair, Robertson doesn't regret a second of his Army life.

"He told me that if he had to do it all over again, he wouldn't change a thing about his career," Inman said.

Today, as he faces the prospect of months and possibly years of rehabilitation, Inman said she is inspired by his spirit.

"He's going to do everything he needs to do to get back and be a great father and husband," Inman said. "He's an inspiration. He's a poster child for why we are over there."
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just turns my stomach that there are people like democracy now, that will be giddy at the sight of an american soldier being maimed in the line of duty. Do any of you guys out there see that B____ Amy? Like a fool I watched about 2 mins of her wanna b show and she looks straight at the camera and says "today there were 42 Iraq's killed----and 5 US soldiers". RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUHHHH. Not a word was mentioned that the 42 Iraq's were insurgents from another country, no-they were Iraq's--I damn near jumped through my tv screen.
PS. check out your blood pressure, I think her name is amy gooding? @ democracynow.org------I'm so fired up I dont see straight. Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: