SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rather Admitted His Doubt About Memos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Rather Admitted His Doubt About Memos Reply with quote

For what it's worth.
Quote:
New York Magazine
Rathergate: The Footnotes
Threatened to take memos to the Times; later admits he had his doubts all along.

Dan Rather’s future on CBS News certainly looks less than assured, just as the updated paperback edition of David Blum’s 60 Minutes tell-all, Tick . . . Tick . . . Tick . . . , hits stores this week.

Among Blum’s new revelations: The night before last fall’s controversial National Guard piece aired, Rather called 60 Minutes Wednesday executive producer Josh Howard from the anchor desk to find out why he wasn’t running promos for the story. When Howard told him he couldn’t promote it—CBS News president Andrew Heyward hadn’t seen it yet, nor had the lawyers, and they hadn’t even contacted the White House for comment—Rather threatened to take the story to the Times that night. (Rather later backed down.)

The anchor was feeling a good deal less of a cowboy after the story blew up in his face. According to the book, on the night before his on-air apology, Rather confessed to Howard that he’d had doubts about the veracity of the memos all along. “I knew when I did the [document consultant Marcel] Matley interview that something wasn’t right with all this,” Rather confessed to Howard, belying his stalwart public position.

A CBS News spokesperson, Sandy Genelius, said, “I have no way of verifying this, these were private conversations,” before noting that they weren’t in the 224-page report of the CBS investigation.

Rather was overseas and unavailable to comment.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blather kills me. He had his doubts about the memos but was certain the story itself was true.
And he had his doubts about the memos but went on the air with em anyway.
Yeah. Right Dan!
Just because you're an idiot, don't presume the rest of us are please.

dusty
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What gets me most is that he considers himself a great investigative reporter.

Gheesh he really is in La La land.

"We are all Ghost now"
"But once we were men"

from an unsigned diary recovered from Cabanatuan Camp
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many reasons, Ratherbiased.com had been one of my favorite reads over the last several years....kinda like the Swifts debunked Kerry, this guy's been debunking Rather at every turn!

For some lasting entertainment, try this one:

http://www.ratherbiased.com/retire-cartoons.html

Deuce
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KerryRather: "I didn't doubt the memos before I doubted the memos, no doubt about it." Laughing Laughing
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was in on it, he just didn't think he would be caught. Semper Fi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: