SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The DeLay prosecutor has let a film crew follow him!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: The DeLay prosecutor has let a film crew follow him! Reply with quote

http://www.nationalreview.com/york/york200509291814.asp

Quote:

Byron York
National Review
September 29, 2005, 6:14 p.m.
Coming Soon: The Ronnie Earle Movie
The DeLay prosecutor has let a film crew follow him through the whole case.

For the last two years, as he pursued the investigation that led to Wednesday's indictment of House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, Travis County, Texas prosecutor Ronnie Earle has given a film crew "extraordinary access" to make a motion picture about his work on the case.

The resulting film is called The Big Buy, made by Texas filmmakers Mark Birnbaum and Jim Schermbeck. "Raymond Chandler meets Willie Nelson on the corner of Wall Street and Pennsylvania Avenue in The Big Buy, a Texas noir political detective story that chronicles what some are calling a 'bloodless coup with corporate cash,'" reads a description of the picture on Birnbaum's website, markbirnbaum.com. The film, according to the description, "follows maverick Austin DA Ronnie Earle's investigation into what really happened when corporate money joined forces with relentless political ambitions to help swing the pivotal 2002 Texas elections, cementing Republican control from Austin to Washington DC."

"We approached him [Earle], and he offered us extraordinary access to him and, to an extent, to his staff," Birnbaum told National Review Online Thursday. "We've been shooting for about two years."

Birnbaum and Schermbeck showed a work-in-progress version of The Big Buy last month at the Dallas Video Festival. At the moment, they do not have a deal for the film to be shown anywhere else. Their last film, Larry v. Lockney, was shown on PBS, and they hope that perhaps a similar arrangement might be made for the new picture. Whoever ends up showing it, the film has so far been funded entirely by its makers. "We tried really hard to get it funded," Birnbaum says, "but we didn't get any takers."

Schermbeck told National Review Online that the film was an irresistible Texas story. "I've been pretty interested in watching Tom DeLay work," Schermbeck says. "I thought he was a fascinating guy, certainly the most powerful Texan to emerge on the national scene in some time, a kind of Republican Sam Rayburn type, with that kind of mastery of the machinery and the will to do it."

But DeLay did not cooperate with the filmmakers, and neither did a number of DeLay allies. Earle, on the other hand, did. "I had known about Ronnie Earle for a very long time," Schermbeck says. "I thought that would be an angle to approach the whole story, telling something about Tom DeLay, even though Tom DeLay wouldn't grant us an interview."

Earle "allowed us behind the scenes when the indictments came down last year, the first wave of indictments," Schermbeck says. "We got to follow him back to his home a couple of times, which I understand he doesn't allow anybody to do." Schermbeck says the film includes interviews with some critics of Earle, as well as lawyers who are representing some of the targets of the investigation.

So far, The Big Buy has received almost no attention in the press. With DeLay's indictment, and increased attention to Earle as well, that situation seems likely to change. (The filmmakers say they will be back at work next week, filming a new ending to the picture.) "We're pretty low on everybody's radar," Schermbeck says. "We kind of took a gamble three years ago. We didn't know what was going to happen. We feel like, as documentary filmmakers, we gambled and it paid off."
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - Byron York is scheduled to be on Hannity tonight talking about this...
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there something unethical, if not illegal, about this. I'm not a lawyer, but I was under the impression that pending cases were supposed to be kept confidential/secret...

Someone who's more knowledgeable please inform us; inquiring minds want to know.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like we have a couple of Mikey Pigmoore wanna'bs, some of the crap hes done looks like defemation of character to me, but you have to prove he knew his statements were incorrect (good luck). This guys a throwback from the fifties, If he screws up hes getting squashed like a bug! and I hope he does.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good case of unethical conduct to file with the BAR in Texas. I'm sure Tom has hired the best Lawyer available and is pursuing sanctions against Mr. Earle for his behavior during this case.

I was surprised his license to practice law wasn't revoked after taking Senator Hutchinson to trial, selecting a jury and then refusing to present a case.

This clown wastes far more taxpayer dollars than Tom Sneddon.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Mr. De Lay supeonas the entire film unedited and all outtakes. Just want to hear what was said "off the record" for the film guys
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope this is okay to post link. a little funny about delay and the dems.

http://wuzzadem.typepad.com/wuz/2005/09/running_away_wi.html
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read on Blogs for Bush that Delay has summoned Earle to testify. Delay will prove Earles abuse of his office, 5 grand juries, film crew, money laundering etc. This is going to be fun to watch. I hope Earle likes jail, that is where he is headed. Semper Fi.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earl in jail! living with guys he put there? Hes gona have to change his name to Pearl? Shocked
Marine4life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awe shucks he will get a nice Martha type camp. They won't put him with the big boy's. It still should be interesting. I at least hope they pull his license and ban him from the Bar Association. Do you think there might be a connection between the fact that Bush is from Texas, Texas Bar Assoc, Earle, Hariet Meirs nomination? Earle might want to tread lightly, she was the President of the Texas Bar Assoc right? Maybe I am out in left field but Bush is a very deliberate man, he allways looks to the future. He nominated her for a reason and it isn't just trust.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick DeGuerin, Tom DeLay's attorney has submitted the following letter to Earle. The referenced questions are omitted from this transcript.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/ (11 Oct 05)

Quote:
This letter is intended as a courtesy to give you fair notice that I have requested subpoenas for you, Rosemary Lehmberg and Rick Reed seeking testimony concerning the events that occurred during the five day period from September 29 to October 3, 2005. The subpoenas seek all documents, notes, telephone records, and other relevant materials that you or your staff may have in your possession relating to the events that transpired during that period.

I am determined to put of record the steps taken by you and your staff to obtain a replacement indictment against my client, Tom DeLay during the five day period mentioned above. The first indictment for "conspiracy to violate the Texas Election Code," charged a crime that did not exist in Texas law. I have filed a motion to dismiss the later indictment on the grounds of prosecutorial misconduct and with those subpoenas seek evidence in support of that motion. I will soon file additional motions.

In the meantime, however, it would expedite our inquiry if you would agree to an immediate deposition to answer the questions set out below, and, given the highly public nature of this matter, I believe it would be in the interest of justice.

Since it appears you have already violated the grand jury secrecy laws (by discussing pending grand jury matters with citizens who were no longer serving as grand jurors and by encouraging form Grand Jury Foreman William Gibson to speak to the press) your answers to questions about those conversations are not protected. Foreman William Gibson's extensive public discussion of the case, which he says you approved, has already revealed information about Grand Jury
deliberations. The media has reported several conversations with grand jurors on these matters; thus you should not hide behind the grand jury secrecy law.

*** [Questions omitted from this quote]

If you did nothing improper you should not be concerned about answering these questions. I urge you and your staff to cooperate in my effort to quickly and fairly reconstruct the events of the five day period. Eventually, all the information will come out. It always does. In such cases it is always better for public officials to voluntarily disclose, and do it quickly, rather than to be forced to do so by a court of law.

I trust you are aware of the provisions of TEx. CRIM. PROC. CODE ANN. art. 20.02(d) that permit release of grand jury information upon the showing of a particularized need. This letter is attached as an exhibit to our Motion for Disclosure of Grand Jury Information pursuant to Art. 20.02 of the Code of Criminal Procedure...

I also remind you and your staff to preserve all documents and avoid any conversations among yourselves or with the other potential witnesses that might interfere with our quest for the truth. Needless to say, our allegation of prosecutorial misconduct concerns due process and fairness for the accused. I can think of no particularized need that is of more importance in our system of criminal justice.

I suspect that the shredders are running around the clock and that certain grand jury members will develop amnesia overnight.

Schadow
Marine4life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ya things are a looking bad for the partisan hack. Thanks for posting the letter. Texas is in a brown out from all the shredders running. Phone records are a different story. News clips are also. Prove that one Grand Jury member breach the law and it's over. Prove that Ronnie encouraged it and it's really over!! Semper Fi.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine4life wrote:
Prove that one Grand Jury member breach the law and it's over. Prove that Ronnie encouraged it and it's really over!!

Well, yes, depending which judge gets the case. I imagine there are judges around there that are 'friends of Ronnie'. DeGuerin can appeal a bad ruling until he finds a reasonable judge but the clock will run slowly.

Schadow
Marine4life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not totally up to a judge in this matter, the Texas Bar Association can act as well. Then Harriet Meirs on the bench, former President of the Texas Bar, I think an appeal would suceed. The hammer is by far to savy to let him off the hook, I think Ronnie is done.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: The DeLay prosecutor has let a film crew follow him! Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:
http://www.nationalreview.com/york/york200509291814.asp

Quote:

Byron York
National Review
September 29, 2005, 6:14 p.m.
Coming Soon: The Ronnie Earle Movie
The DeLay prosecutor has let a film crew follow him through the whole case.

For the last two years, as he pursued the investigation that led to Wednesday's indictment of House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, Travis County, Texas prosecutor Ronnie Earle has given a film crew "extraordinary access" to make a motion picture about his work on the case.

The resulting film is called The Big Buy, made by Texas filmmakers Mark Birnbaum and Jim Schermbeck. "Raymond Chandler meets Willie Nelson on the corner of Wall Street and Pennsylvania Avenue in The Big Buy, a Texas noir political detective story that chronicles what some are calling a 'bloodless coup with corporate cash,'" reads a description of the picture on Birnbaum's website, markbirnbaum.com. The film, according to the description, "follows maverick Austin DA Ronnie Earle's investigation into what really happened when corporate money joined forces with relentless political ambitions to help swing the pivotal 2002 Texas elections, cementing Republican control from Austin to Washington DC."

"We approached him [Earle], and he offered us extraordinary access to him and, to an extent, to his staff," Birnbaum told National Review Online Thursday. "We've been shooting for about two years."

Birnbaum and Schermbeck showed a work-in-progress version of The Big Buy last month at the Dallas Video Festival. At the moment, they do not have a deal for the film to be shown anywhere else. Their last film, Larry v. Lockney, was shown on PBS, and they hope that perhaps a similar arrangement might be made for the new picture. Whoever ends up showing it, the film has so far been funded entirely by its makers. "We tried really hard to get it funded," Birnbaum says, "but we didn't get any takers."

Schermbeck told National Review Online that the film was an irresistible Texas story. "I've been pretty interested in watching Tom DeLay work," Schermbeck says. "I thought he was a fascinating guy, certainly the most powerful Texan to emerge on the national scene in some time, a kind of Republican Sam Rayburn type, with that kind of mastery of the machinery and the will to do it."

But DeLay did not cooperate with the filmmakers, and neither did a number of DeLay allies. Earle, on the other hand, did. "I had known about Ronnie Earle for a very long time," Schermbeck says. "I thought that would be an angle to approach the whole story, telling something about Tom DeLay, even though Tom DeLay wouldn't grant us an interview."

Earle "allowed us behind the scenes when the indictments came down last year, the first wave of indictments," Schermbeck says. "We got to follow him back to his home a couple of times, which I understand he doesn't allow anybody to do." Schermbeck says the film includes interviews with some critics of Earle, as well as lawyers who are representing some of the targets of the investigation.

So far, The Big Buy has received almost no attention in the press. With DeLay's indictment, and increased attention to Earle as well, that situation seems likely to change. (The filmmakers say they will be back at work next week, filming a new ending to the picture.) "We're pretty low on everybody's radar," Schermbeck says. "We kind of took a gamble three years ago. We didn't know what was going to happen. We feel like, as documentary filmmakers, we gambled and it paid off."

Kerry did the same thing and look what happened to that loser!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: