SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PROPOSED CUT IN VETERANS’ HEALTH CARE BUDGET

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: PROPOSED CUT IN VETERANS’ HEALTH CARE BUDGET Reply with quote

M E M O R A N D U M

TO: National Officers

Supervisory National Service Officers

Department Commanders and Adjutants

National Legislative Interim Committee

Benefit Protection Team Leaders

Hospital Service Coordinators

DAVA National Adjutant

State Directors of Veterans Affairs

DAV CAN Members

Action E-List

SUBJ: PROPOSED CUT IN VETERANS’ HEALTH CARE BUDGET

DATE: October 28, 2005

The budget for veterans’ health care for fiscal year 2006 has not yet been resolved. Currently several bills have been introduced in Congress that either would call for one-, two-, or five-percent reductions in all federal agency budgets, to pay the costs of the restoration of the Gulf Coast from recent hurricanes. According to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), a two percent cut would be more than a $600 million reduction in VA health care funding and an estimated 97,257 veterans would be denied VA health care. A five-percent reduction would mean 243,143 veterans would need to leave VA health care.

We ask that you please consider sending the attached prepared e-mail to your Members of Congress, urging them to oppose any effort to reduce the VA health care budget, whether paying for hurricane damage or for any other reason. You can click here to be directed to the Action Alert: http://capwiz.com/dav/issues/alert/?alertid=8173321&type=CO.

Thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,

JOSEPH A. VIOLANTE

National Legislative Director

Attachment

NATIONAL SERVICE AND LEGISLATIVE HEADQUARTERS « 807 MAINE AVENUE, S.W. « WASHINGTON, D.C. 20024-2410 « PHONE (202) 554-3501 « FAX (202) 554-3581

Dear Representative:

As your constituent, I am writing to express my concerns about proposed cuts in the veterans’ health care budget.

Several bills have been introduced in Congress that either would call for one-, two-, or five-percent reductions in all federal agency budgets, to pay the costs of the restoration of the Gulf Coast from recent hurricanes. This kind of indiscriminate reduction in funds, if applied to health care programs of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), would jeopardize the health and safety of thousands of sick and disabled veterans. Congress only recently completed action to add new funds to VA programs, after proving conclusively that VA health care programs were in a financial crisis. To now remove these funds that were just given to that good cause would be a serious reversal and would place veterans again in harm’s way.
The VA estimates that a two-percent reduction would cause 97,257 veterans to be denied further VA health care, and that a five-percent reduction would mean 243,143 veterans would need to leave VA health care. These patients’ health needs would not go away but the veterans themselves would go away—to Medicare, Medicaid, or charity care. Some might go away without any care at all.
The national veterans organizations that create the Independent Budget each year have jointly written every Member of the House and Senate on October 25, 2005 to urge VA be spared these harmful reductions. I fully agree with those concerns and ask that you oppose any effort to reduce the VA health care budget, whether paying for hurricane damage or for any other reason. Veterans have earned their right to receive VA health care, and it should not be taken away.

Please let me know how you plan to vote on these proposals.

Sincerely,
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a proposed cut because with the passing of the the WWII generation there are fewer beneficiaries. Think about it. There are also outdated and underutilized facilities that bloat the budget.

Last edited by GM Strong on Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM,

Just some stats to support your point...the number of vets 65 and over declines from about 9.8 mil in 2005 to 9.3 mil in 2010, after which a slow rise is again projected:

vets 65 and over:
male total
2000 9.5 9.8 mil
2005 9.0 9.3
2010 8.5 8.8

see
http://www.agingstats.gov/chartbook2004/tables-population.html#Indicator%206

Deuce
(apparently we warriors aren't imortal after all)
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another matter not considered is that a recent Democrat initiative blocked the VA from reviewing several thousand PTSD claims. While on the surface this sounds very pro-veteran, it has been shown that there are quite a few people drawing disability pay for PTSD that never served in combat and even a few phonies that were never in the military.

VVAW was also instrumental in demanding a bloated VA budget covering the Veterans of Viet Nam, often whether they served or not. See Stolen Valor by B.G. Burkett for one source of information on this.

While I am all for the finest care available for Veterans, a blanket acceptance of whatever they say they need is not conducive to quality care for actual Veterans.

Also, in D.C. a "budget cut" usually turns out to be a reduction in proposed increase, not actually a cut in spending at all.

I urge you all to carefully check into this budget before writing Representatives and demanding what someone else says is best. Personally, I'd like to see bloat from the VA system decreased or eleminated as well as full funding for VA Medical.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Another matter not considered is that a recent Democrat initiative blocked the VA from reviewing several thousand PTSD claims. While on the surface this sounds very pro-veteran, it has been shown that there are quite a few people drawing disability pay for PTSD that never served in combat and even a few phonies that were never in the military........

Lew,
I'm with you on all your points. On the phonies, however, Given the application process, with DD214, that most of us had to go thru to get into the VA clinics/hospitals to begin with, how did the phonies get in? phony DD214 (fraud), someone elses DD214 (identity theft??), stolen/fake SS cards? again fraud or ID theft. Seems that it would be relatively easy weed out of some of the bloat nowadays with the extensive VA computer system....I completely agree that the VA should not be taking on non-vets. or for that matter, vets w/o combat collecting PTSD disability. I'm sure we've all had our little bouts of PTSD, but I can't imagine I'm disabled (a little wierd, I'm told, but not disabled)....Time to clean up the Rolls before we've got dead vets voting, collecting disability, and whatever else the creative phonies have dreamed up for taxpayers. Yep, time to expand on that new Act passed into law just this year about it being a crime to wear military medals/ribbons if you're not a vet.

and I agree that we need to take care in which battles we want our representatives to fight for us....especially ones who used to be associated with VVAW Wink That said, I guess I pretty much missed the whole VVAW crime spree....'til the SVPT site educated me. You can bet they're up to the same playbook with an IVAW crime spree gearing up...Gotta wonder what possible advantage they think they could gain by 'successfully' losing the War against Terrorists. Hope our current FBI is up to the task again!

[/rant]
Deuce
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duece, what with computer technology today, Burkett says DD-214s are easily fabricated. While I can see that point, it appears that most VA Hospitals do not check back to verify the DD-214. Of course, this was in 1998, when he published his book.

Through his research into military records, he says he was able to confirm several veterans, primarily those that made it to Sixty Minutes and such programs, had either not served in the military or never went near Viet Nam. He also claims he turned this material over to the VA and they did not want it.

If I get the chance later, I'll copy some of what he says about this and post it, for those that don't have the book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: