SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Haters of the Military at Work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: More Haters of the Military at Work Reply with quote

http://www.wftv.com/news/5187982/detail.html
Quote:
WFTV.com
Woman Fired For Missing Work After Seeing Husband Off To War

POSTED: 9:57 am EDT October 27, 2005
UPDATED: 10:04 am EDT October 27, 2005

CALEDONIA, Mich. -- A woman who took an unpaid leave of absence from work to see her husband off to war has been fired after failing to show up for her part-time receptionist job the day following his departure.

"It was a shock," said Suzette Boler, a 40-year-old mother of three and grandmother of three. "I was hurt. I felt abandoned by people I thought cared for me. I sat down on the floor and cried for probably two hours."

Officials at her former workplace, Benefit Management Administrators Inc., confirmed that Boler was dismissed when she didn't report to work the day after she said goodbye to her husband of 22 years.

"We gave her sufficient time to get back to work," Clark Galloway, vice president of operations for Benefit Management, told The Grand Rapids Press for a story published Wednesday.

He added that other factors were involved in the decision but he declined to elaborate.

On Oct. 16, Boler went with her husband, Army Spc. Jerry Boler, 45, to an Indianapolis-area airfield, where he and others in his National Guard unit gathered to be transported to Fort Dix, N.J. The unit soon will be deployed to Iraq, where he will help guard convoys from insurgent attacks.

Suzette Boler had received permission to take off work the week leading up to her husband's departure. As a part-time employee at Benefit Management, she did not receive vacation pay and was not compensated for her time off.

When Boler returned home from Indiana on the night of Oct. 16, a few hours after leaving her husband at the airfield, she said she felt drained by the emotional ordeal.

She said she had told her bosses that she would try to return on Oct. 17 but if she could not, she would definitely be back Oct. 18, she said.

But on the afternoon of Oct. 17, she received a call from work telling her to come in the following day and get her things because she was being fired. Her pink slip said the reason was she failed to show up for work Oct. 17, a Monday, she said.

"If I had even an inkling that I would be fired for not coming in Monday, I would have been there," she said.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.wftv.com/news/5187982/detail.html

I really hate employers who show their disdain for our Men in Uniform (and their families).

If you'd like to express your displeasure to them they can be reached per below:

Benefit Management Administrators, Inc.
10000 IH 10 W., Suite 400, San Antonio, TX 78230
210-697-9900 Fax: 210-697-0360
Web Site: http://www.employerhealth.com/EHR_sample_pages/sp8236.htm
E-Mail: james@bmatpa.com

Last edited by BuffaloJack on Wed May 24, 2006 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm writing them right now and they are getting blasted (lol, this is their unlucky day since i'm already angry). the same thing almost happened to a friend of mine. thanks for letting us know.
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks for letting us know. I just sent them a nasty-gram. Friggin un-American morons!
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this kind of shirt! I hope they retain a legal dept.! Evil or Very Mad Wink they'll love me! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: