SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couric Cues Up Wilson's Attacks,But Blitzer Challenges Him

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Couric Cues Up Wilson's Attacks,But Blitzer Challenges Him Reply with quote

Forget Couric but Wolf Blitzer actually asked him all the right questions, and brought up many points that many people (that don't watch Fox) may not have been aware of.

http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2005/cyb20051101.asp#2

(excerpt from article)

Quote:
On Monday's Today, Katie Couric posed a series of softball questions to Joe Wilson cuing him up for his shots at Bush officials, but when he appeared later in the day on CNN's The Situation Room, Wolf Blitzer gave him plenty of opportunities to level his charges, but also pressed him on inconsistencies and challenges to his claims. "How wide, how high up do you believe this goes?" Couric asked in reference to a wider Bush scandal. On Rove: "Do you think that he should step down? Do you agree with Harry Reid?" Couric also wondered: "How damaging, do you believe, this has been to the CIA and, and to your wife?" Citing how prosecutor Peter Fitzgerald concluded "this indictment is not about the propriety of the war," Couric set him up: "You think this is really about the buildup to war, the Bush administration's rationale for invading Iraq?" Blitzer hit Wilson with the suggestion that "once your husband writes an op-ed piece and goes political, you have no immunity and that's the way Washington works" since "by your going public in various ways, your wife's identity was eventually going to be made known." Blitzer also brought up how the Senate Intelligence Committee report said, contrary to his claims, that his wife suggested him for the Niger trip and how Wilson endangered his wife by posing with her for a Vanity Fair photo.

-snip-

Quote:
(Blitzer's questions):
-- "Let's go through some of the criticism that's been leveled at you, afresh over these past several days since this whole leak investigation was coming to a boil last Friday. A lot of your critics blame you for the eventual disclosure of your wife as a CIA operative, and they go back to that early May 2003 column by the New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof who first reports about an unnamed U.S. ambassador making this trip to Africa. Were you the source, Nicholas Kristof's source, for that column?"
Wilson: "Well, I was a source for that column."

-- "Why you tell Nicholas Kristof about your trip to Africa?"

-- "Because, as you know, this was two months before the Robert Novak column appeared."

-- "The former CIA officer Robert Behr was quoted in Saturday's Washington Post as saying this: 'The fact is, once your husband writes an op-ed piece and goes political, you have no immunity and that's the way Washington works.' In other words, he's one of those suggesting that, by your going public in various ways, your wife's identity was eventually going to be made known."

-- "Even though some of your supporters were on this program last week -- Larry Johnson, a former CIA officer; Pat Lang, a former DIA intelligence analyst. They say your decision and your wife's decision to let her be photographed represented a major mistake because, if there were people out there who may have been endangered by her name, certainly when people might have seen her picture, they could have been further endangered."

-- "So you don't have any regrets about the Vanity Fair picture?"
Wilson: "I think it's a great picture. I think someday you will, too."
Blitzer: "It's a great picture. But I mean the fact that-"
Wilson: "I think someday it, too, will be in the International Spy Museum."
Blitzer: "But you don't think it was a mistake to do that?"
Wilson: "No."
Blitzer: "Okay."

-- "Let's talk about Joe DiGenova, a former U.S. Attorney, Republican. He was on this program, as you well know -- he among others suggesting: Well, she had a desk job, she was an analyst in the Counterproliferation Division at the CIA. She was no longer really what they call a NOC, someone working nonofficial cover overseas and that it was really no big deal."

-- "Did you ever go around in cocktail parties -- because this has been alleged against you as well -- before the Robert Novak column and boast 'my wife, the CIA agent,' 'my wife works for the CIA'?"
Wilson: "Of course not."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: