SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hong Kong Video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoNaYet
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Hong Kong Video Reply with quote

I have looked and looked. Does anyone know where I can get a video of the hand over ceremonies to the Reds?

NoNaYet
Bob51
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Hong Kong Video Reply with quote

NoNaYet wrote:
I have looked and looked. Does anyone know where I can get a video of the hand over ceremonies to the Reds?

NoNaYet

http://hongkong97.scmp.com/coverage/

Quote:
Hong Kong is now a Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China. The official handover ceremonies are now concluded.
Copyright to the video coverage of the 1997 Hong Kong Handover Core Feed is held by the Host Broadcast Consortium*. As of July 31, 1997, it is no longer available for general public use.

The video can be found on a special SCMP 1997 Handover CD-ROM available for purchase via the Web site.

* Host Broadcast Consortium is comprised of Radio Television Hong Kong, Television Broadcast Limited, Asia Television and Wharf Cable.

Happy viewing. By the way, there's not much 'red' left in the PRC these days.
bob51
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That I can believe, they all seem to be over here these days: John Kerry, Nanci Pelisse, Hillary Clinton, Barbara Streisand, Tom Daschell, Ted Kennedy, Charles Schumer, Wesley Clark, Al Frankin et. all, Ruth Ginsberg, Dan Rather, Most of CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS.... Katie Couric, Michael Moore, Joe Wilson and his un named wife, 1/5CIA, Cindy Sheehan...... 1/5 Hollywood actors and writers, 1/3 New York Times Staff+Washington Post+LA Times, 4/5 PBS+NPR..... and of course theres Burlington VerMont, Eugene Oregon, Seatle Washington!!

I would go on but I just got up and don't want to ruin my appetite for break fast!!

This is a good thing for PRC as no entity, be it a nation or a family can flourish with such whining, whinging and lying attention Mongers. It's easier to attend to a pre school full of two year old crack babies!!

I am still relishing watching CCTV ( http://www.cctv.com/english/ ), Do they broad cast that over there? Some of the travelogue shows are absolutely fascinating, entertaining and educational.

The News Debate shows, are really fascinating.

The Entertainment and style shows, 'blow my mind'. Apparently there are one darn large lot of very wealthy people in PRC these days.

There seem to be allot of farmers still tilling the soil with their own hands and beasts of bourdon as well, a very wide chasm betwixt the two classes.

The country has got to be one of the most beautiful on earth.
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack: Thanks for posting the link to CCTV. I didn't know they did anything in English. We get it in Chinese, along with a dozen other Chinese channels by satellite.

I hate to say this, but their shows are more interesting than most of the Taiwanese shows we used to get on the local cable channel.
Bob51
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:

I am still relishing watching CCTV ( http://www.cctv.com/english/ ), Do they broad cast that over there?

Yes, it's on cable here in Hong Kong. Trouble is, there is so much to do in HK that I seldom watch any television. Besides, the difference between reality on the streets and news coverage is striking. For example, most people I know went to parties at the usual HK establishments on the night of the handover. I had emails from friends in the UK who had watched the television coverage and found it all moving and sad. Didn't have the heart to tell them the gweilos just partied on as usual and the locals got on with business.

bob51
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
most people I know went to parties at the usual HK establishments on the night of the handover

That was the way I remember seeing the coverage, but it was so long ago I could not venture to guess what I was watching.

For humor on the CCTV they have one of the oddest weather man We've ever seen. He's very skinny with odd hair and seems to be Caucasian but might have a little something else in him. His delivery of the weather, there is something about it that is damn funny. He is like a weather gnome.

The quality of the programming and news is very, very slick and high quality.

They often cover news not covered anywhere else, even news about Iraq.

However some of the news about PRC issues can be, well I'm thinking close to science fiction. However this is difficult to say from way over here.

The political discussions on 'Dialogue', sometimes they seem overly scripted and one or two of the participants wary of saying the wrong thing, lest they upset the government.
Bob51
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:
Apparently there are one darn large lot of very wealthy people in PRC these days.

http://www.sohochina.com/english/product/commune/about/index.html

Uisguex, click on the 'video' link at the above URL and you'll see what "the reds" are up to these days. It can get a bit boring for non-architects but turning up the sound will help. You can send in your booking now Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: