SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LA TIMES--Plamegate's Real Liar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: LA TIMES--Plamegate's Real Liar Reply with quote

THIS FROM THE LA TIMES:
"So much for the lies that led to war. What we're left with is the lies that led to the antiwar movement. Good thing for Wilson and his pals that deceiving the press and the public isn't a crime.'

This is amazing! The liberal LA Times breaking with the rest of the major media and actually exposing liar Joe Wilson and debunking the Left's anti-war cry that "Bush lied!" and publishing this story one day after the Senate Democrats pulled their ridiculous stunt.
I wonder what has prompted the LAT to break with the rest of the Big Media???
LA TIMES
Quote:
Plamegate's Real Liar
by Max Boot
November 2, 2005

'SCOOTER" LIBBY'S indictment was not exactly good news for the White House, but it could have been a lot worse. Feverish speculation had been building that Karl Rove would soon be "frog-marched out of the White House in handcuffs," as Valerie Plame's bombastic hubby, Joe Wilson, had hoped. Or even that Dick Cheney would have to resign.

But with his investigation all but over, prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald has found no criminal conspiracy and no violations of the Intelligence Identities Protection Act, which makes it a crime in some circumstances to disclose the names of undercover CIA operatives. Among other problems, Plame doesn't seem to fit the act's definition of a "covert agent" — someone who "has within the last five years served outside the United States." By 2003, Plame had apparently been working in Langley, Va., for at least six years, which means that, mystery of mysteries, the vice president's chief of staff was indicted for covering up something that wasn't a crime.

Making the best of a weak hand, Democrats argued that the case was not about petty-ante perjury but, as Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid put it, "about how the Bush White House manufactured and manipulated intelligence in order to bolster its case for the war in Iraq and to discredit anyone who dared to challenge the president." The problem here is that the one undisputed liar in this whole sordid affair doesn't work for the administration. In his attempts to turn his wife into an antiwar martyr, Joseph C. Wilson IV has retailed more whoppers than Burger King.

The least consequential of these fibs was his denial that it was his wife who got him sent to Niger in February 2002 to check out claims that Saddam Hussein had tried to buy uranium. The Senate Select Committee on Intelligence later stated, in a bipartisan report, that evidence indicated it was Mrs. Wilson who "had suggested his name for the trip." By leaking this fact to the news media, Libby and other White House officials were merely setting the record straight — not, as Wilson would have it, punishing his Mata Hari wife.

Much more egregious were the ways in which Wilson misrepresented his findings. In his famous New York Times Op-Ed article (July 6, 2003), Wilson gave the impression that his eight-day jaunt proved that Iraq was not trying to acquire uranium in Africa. Therefore, when administration officials nevertheless cited concerns about Hussein's nuclear ambitions, Wilson claimed that they had "twisted" evidence "to exaggerate the Iraqi threat." The Senate Intelligence Committee was not kind to this claim either.

The panel's report found that, far from discrediting the Iraq-Niger uranium link, Wilson actually provided fresh details about a 1999 meeting between Niger's prime minister and an Iraqi delegation. Beyond that, he had not supplied new information. According to the panel, intelligence analysts "did not think" that his findings "clarified the story on the reported Iraq-Niger uranium deal." In other words, Wilson had hardly exposed as fraudulent the "16 words" included in the 2003 State of the Union address: "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." In fact, the British government, in its own post-invasion review of intelligence, found that this claim was "well founded."

This is not an isolated example. Pretty much all of the claims that the administration doctored evidence about Iraq have been euthanized, not only by the Senate committee but also by the equally bipartisan Robb-Silberman commission. The latest proof that intelligence was not "politicized" comes from an unlikely source — Lawrence Wilkerson, Colin Powell's former chief of staff, who has been denouncing the hawkish "cabal" supposedly leading us toward "disaster." Yet, in between bouts of trashing the administration, Wilkerson said on Oct. 19 that "the consensus of the intelligence community was overwhelming" that Hussein was building illicit weapons. This view was endorsed by "the French, the Germans, the Brits." The French, of all people, even offered "proof positive" that Hussein was buying aluminum tubes "for centrifuges." Wilkerson also recalled seeing satellite photos "that would lead me to believe that Saddam Hussein, at least on occasion, was … giving us disinformation."

So much for the lies that led to war. What we're left with is the lies that led to the antiwar movement. Good thing for Wilson and his pals that deceiving the press and the public isn't a crime.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every once in awhile the LAT has a vision of reality and seems to have seen the potential ebarrassment they could suffer from Wilson's BS. They want to put a little ditance from him. They still do not intend to change, however, despite the loss of readership and revenue.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Joseph C. Wilson IV has retailed more whoppers than Burger King.

........... hmmm..... I've never heard this expression before, think I will be using it frequently.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:
Quote:
Joseph C. Wilson IV has retailed more whoppers than Burger King.

........... hmmm..... I've never heard this expression before, think I will be using it frequently.

Ditto. Great line.
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: LA TIMES--Plamegate's Real Liar Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
THIS FROM THE LA TIMES:

[/quote]

Shawa....can you provide the link to this? thanks.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-boot2nov02,0,6326316.column?coll=la-util-opinion-commentary

If ever your'e looking for a link for some text... highlight five or ten of the key words from the doccument, then copy and paste into google.

In this case regular google did not work, so I went to Google 'news'

it came up as the first link.
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: LA TIMES--Plamegate's Real Liar Reply with quote

Actually, this time, y'all could have found the link much easier, because Shawa created a hypertext link in the post under LA TIMES right above quote. Wink
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lying to the press may not be a crime but why is lying about an official, government funded trip, not a crime. The Congressional report on Wilson's trip states he lied. Was he never under oath before that committee?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: LA TIMES--Plamegate's Real Liar Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
I wonder what has prompted the LAT to break with the rest of the Big Media???

While opinions such as this are a welcome read in the LA Times and do represent at least a willingness to provide a platform for opposition views, it is, after all, not an editorial but an op-ed commentary. I wouldn't be too quick to attribute this to some re-formulation in the ideological bent of the LA Times editorial board though I would agree that they are seeing the handwriting on the wall in terms of circulation.

As to Max Boot, here's his LA Times provided bio...

Quote:
Max Boot
--------------------------
Max Boot is Olin Senior Fellow in National Security Studies at the Council on Foreign Relations in New York. He is also a contributing editor to The Weekly Standard and a weekly columnist for the Los Angeles Times.

His last book, The Savage Wars of Peace: Small Wars and the Rise of American Power (Basic Books) was selected as one of the best books of 2002 by The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times and The Christian Science Monitor. It also won the 2003 General Wallace M. Greene Jr. Award, given annually by the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation for the best nonfiction book pertaining to Marine Corps history. He is now writing his next book, a history of revolutions in military affairs over the past 500 years, War Made New: Four Great Revolutions That Changed the Face of Battle and the Course of History, which will be published by Gotham Books, an imprint of Penguin (USA).

Boot has written for the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, the Financial Times, Foreign Affairs and many other publications. He is also a frequent public speaker and guest on radio and television news programs. He has lectured at many military institutions, including the Army and Navy War Colleges, the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare School, and the Naval Academy at Annapolis.

Before joining the Council in October 2002, Boot spent eight years as a writer and editor at The Wall Street Journal, the last five years as editorial features editor. From 1992 to 1994 he was an editor and writer at The Christian Science Monitor.

Boot holds a bachelor's degree in history, with high honors, from the University of California, Berkeley (1991), and a master's degree in history from Yale University (1992). He grew up in Los Angeles and now lives in the New York area with his wife and three children.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-bio-boot-b,0,7623217.blurb?coll=la-news-comment-opinions
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 said
Quote:
I wouldn't be too quick to attribute this to some re-formulation in the ideological bent of the LA Times editorial board though I would agree that they are seeing the handwriting on the wall in terms of circulation.

I agree completely that the ideological bent of the Times isn't changing, but it sure is good to see a truthful account of the matter in one of the nation's largest newspapers.

Thanks for the Bio on Max Boot. He seems to be a real good guy.

P.S.
Sorry if some didn't recognize the hypertext link. I just do that if the URL is extra long.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sure like to see Hannity hit Colmbs with this next time he says something about Bush lying to get us into the Iraq war on tv.
That guy needs a dressing down with facts.

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: