SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Patience, hell. I'm gonna kill something!"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: "Patience, hell. I'm gonna kill something!" Reply with quote

A great cartoon appeared long ago in, as I remember, the New Yorker. It depicted two starving buzzards sitting in a bare tree waiting for something to die so that they could eat. "Patience, hell. I'm gonna kill something!" said one buzzard to the other.

I'm getting increasingly into that same mind-set waiting for the President to say something - anything - in defense of himself and his administration against the continuous stream of lies emanating from the democrats slandering the President. I know it isn't his style and it may be that the White House is waiting until the dems completely discredit themselves before speaking out. But I'm getting very hungry for a showdown.

Bill Kristol, writing in the Weekly Standard says:

Quote:
Last Tuesday, Harry Reid took to the floor of the Senate and asserted that the Bush administration had "manufactured and manipulated intelligence in order to sell the war in Iraq and attempted to destroy those who dared to challenge its actions." This is a serious charge; if it were true, it might well be an indictable offense. But it is, in reality, a slander. Shouldn't the president defend his honor?

After all, the bipartisan Silberman-Robb commission found no evidence of political manufacture and manipulation of intelligence. The administration's weak and disorganized attempts to respond to Joe Wilson's misrepresentations put the lie to the existence of any campaign to "destroy" opponents of the war. In fact, the administration has done amazingly little to confront, and discredit, attacks from antiwar Democrats. It was a shock last week when White House spokesman Scott McClellan emerged for a few moments from his defensive crouch to point out that Clinton administration officials and Senate Democrats also believed that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction. Will he, and others in the administration, return to this theme? Will they call the now antiwar Democrats on their disreputable rewriting of history? Incidentally, are the Democrats ready to defend the proposition that we should have left Saddam in power? Is it okay with them if Zarqawi drives us out of Iraq? Will the administration challenge them as to what their alternative is? Will the administration take the time to put spokesmen forward, and recruit surrogates, to make the case for victory? Or do they enjoy being punching bags at the White House?

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/006/317nfqkh.asp?pg=1

I don't know how the democrats could do or say anything to further discredit themselves. The White House possesses some of the finest political strategists in existence so I continue to hope they are designing an effective counter-attack. I also hope it comes sooner rather than later. The hunger grows.

Schadow
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there is a lot more to the whole cia leak case which has yet to come out and Bush is aware of this. It is my opinion Bush is allowing his enemies to eat away at themselves while he positions himself on higher ground.
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: "Patience, hell. I'm gonna kill something!" Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:
A great cartoon appeared long ago in, as I remember, the New Yorker. It depicted two starving buzzards sitting in a bare tree waiting for something to die so that they could eat. "Patience, hell. I'm gonna kill something!" said one buzzard to the other.

I'm getting increasingly into that same mind-set waiting for the President to say something - anything - in defense of himself and his administration against the continuous stream of lies emanating from the democrats slandering the President. I know it isn't his style and it may be that the White House is waiting until the dems completely discredit themselves before speaking out. But I'm getting very hungry for a showdown.

Bill Kristol, writing in the Weekly Standard says:

Quote:
Last Tuesday, Harry Reid took to the floor of the Senate and asserted that the Bush administration had "manufactured and manipulated intelligence in order to sell the war in Iraq and attempted to destroy those who dared to challenge its actions." This is a serious charge; if it were true, it might well be an indictable offense. But it is, in reality, a slander. Shouldn't the president defend his honor?

After all, the bipartisan Silberman-Robb commission found no evidence of political manufacture and manipulation of intelligence. The administration's weak and disorganized attempts to respond to Joe Wilson's misrepresentations put the lie to the existence of any campaign to "destroy" opponents of the war. In fact, the administration has done amazingly little to confront, and discredit, attacks from antiwar Democrats. It was a shock last week when White House spokesman Scott McClellan emerged for a few moments from his defensive crouch to point out that Clinton administration officials and Senate Democrats also believed that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction. Will he, and others in the administration, return to this theme? Will they call the now antiwar Democrats on their disreputable rewriting of history? Incidentally, are the Democrats ready to defend the proposition that we should have left Saddam in power? Is it okay with them if Zarqawi drives us out of Iraq? Will the administration challenge them as to what their alternative is? Will the administration take the time to put spokesmen forward, and recruit surrogates, to make the case for victory? Or do they enjoy being punching bags at the White House?

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/006/317nfqkh.asp?pg=1

I don't know how the democrats could do or say anything to further discredit themselves. The White House possesses some of the finest political strategists in existence so I continue to hope they are designing an effective counter-attack. I also hope it comes sooner rather than later. The hunger grows.

Schadow

I feel much the same as you. And as much as I agree with Michelle Malkin about the LL becomming UNHINGED, I'm beginning to feel a bit unhinged myself. So far, the only 'defensive' thing I've heard other than what McClellan had to say was a brief interview between CNN's Obrien (I think) and Pat Roberts. He was highly ticked off at the time and promised to release over 500 statements made earlier by the LL in support of the war. I don't know if they've been released yet, but as far as I'm concerned, I would rather have heard something like it from Bush. Except I can't think of a time when he has really been outspoken in his defense and truthfully, I'm not sure he would be very good at it, do you?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 years ago, politically-motivated, trumped up "issues" given substance by the MSM would, by necessity, require "hands-on" response from the administration. Today they are roundly fisked by an army of well-armed internet observers. President Bush and his administration are, IMHO, getting all the cover they need and there's something to be said for allowing the leftists to tighten the political noose around their collective necks.

Should the President engage these canards in some high-profile war of words, it would not only validate and elevate the argument but would, as observed above, utilize rhetorical terrain which is not advantageous to the President.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Patience, hell. I'm gonna kill something!" Reply with quote

kimberly wrote:
I feel much the same as you. And as much as I agree with Michelle Malkin about the LL becomming UNHINGED, I'm beginning to feel a bit unhinged myself. So far, the only 'defensive' thing I've heard other than what McClellan had to say was a brief interview between CNN's Obrien (I think) and Pat Roberts. He was highly ticked off at the time and promised to release over 500 statements made earlier by the LL in support of the war. I don't know if they've been released yet, but as far as I'm concerned, I would rather have heard something like it from Bush. Except I can't think of a time when he has really been outspoken in his defense and truthfully, I'm not sure he would be very good at it, do you?

Sadly, I have to agree with you that President Bush is often not convincing when he speaks extemporaneously. His delivery is halting and often fractured. I don't know if you remember but Reagan had much the same problem.

Bush's counterattack against his lying detractors must be thoroughly thought out, greatly detailed, and prepared with the help of the professional speech writers in (and out) of the White House. His speech must be done with the aid of teleprompters and given when national attention and coverage is assured.

I know it's presumptuous of me or anyone to tell the President what to say, how to say it or when. But I'm just sick and frustrated about the lack of a vigorous defense being mounted against the democrats and their press sycophants.

Schadow
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Patience, hell. I'm gonna kill something!" Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:
kimberly wrote:

Sadly, I have to agree with you that President Bush is often not convincing when he speaks extemporaneously. His delivery is halting and often fractured. I don't know if you remember but Reagan had much the same problem.

Ronald Reagan ?? You aren't serious. He was a very adept speaker and a superb orator. He also was involved in writing his own speeches (he had writers, like Peggy Noonan, but he was active with them).
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
10 years ago, politically-motivated, trumped up "issues" given substance by the MSM would, by necessity, require "hands-on" response from the administration. Today they are roundly fisked by an army of well-armed internet observers. President Bush and his administration are, IMHO, getting all the cover they need .....

Yes, a portion of the internet does an excellent job of ferreting out the truth, but we all know that there is an equally vocal segment of the net which is devoted to reinforcing the lies.

My concern is for the Joes and Janes out there who do not use the net and who get their news nightly from the blather in the MSM. The polls reflect that a growing number of people believe that Plame was covert and has been "outed", that Bush lied to get us into war for the benefit of Halliburton, that Joe Wilson spoke the truth about Saddam not seeking yellowcake from Niger, and on and on. I still believe that the White House needs to speak to them directly and forcefully.

Schadow
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Patience, hell. I'm gonna kill something!" Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
Schadow wrote:

Ronald Reagan ?? You aren't serious. He was a very adept speaker and a superb orator. He also was involved in writing his own speeches (he had writers, like Peggy Noonan, but he was active with them).

Yep, Ronald Reagan. I remember many press conferences in which Reagan was much less than eloquent than when he was delivering a prepared speech. Somehow, the press didn't capitalize on gaffes so much in those days. The Great Communicator was much more at ease with a prepared message and delivered it as none other has, before or since.

Peg Noonan is still around. I wish Bush would employ her.

Schadow
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the 'give plenty of rope to hang themselves with' crowd.
If I was Bush, I'd be sitting back with a huge smile on my face knowing the truth will come out and some people who fancy themselves as so important will be brought to their knees by their own hatred of him.
When you know the truth and are sure of yourself, you don't have to get in the gutter with the trash.
That's the way I interpret Bush's silence in defense of himself.
And let's don't forget, he isn't running again. He may be content to just let history put these folks in their places by watching them sink into obscurity while his flame burns brighter and brighter with the passage of time and the validation of his policies that will surely come with it.
Without him lifting a hand.
Now that's what I call being a cool customer and a rightous man.
Just my take on it anyway.

Dusty
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush definitely has an image problem and whoever sent him to South America should be fired. The last time he went down to visit the communists in South America, they tried to assassinate him. Someone in his administration is not giving him good advice and is keeping a cloud constantly over his head.

As for the Plame Game, the President is doing the right thing by not playing their game because the more he has to focus on it, the quicker the problem will expand. The Left and their Media cronies will twist and misrepresent any response he would give. Already they got Libby indicted because they IE, the "Reporters", lied to the Grand Jury and because they backed each other up, whatever Libby said was automatically a lie. Remember Cooper called Rove about some stupid story and then switched the conversation to Joe Wilson's op-ed piece?

The anger that I have is more focused on the Republican Party. They control both the House and the Senate, yet they allow the Left to close down the entire Senate? They are a disgrace to every voter who cast a ballot for President Bush. Instead of using all of their time spending our money into oblivion, they should do something before they all get sent down that Alaskan bridge that leads to nowhere!! Both the House and the Senate should start each session by reading Joe Wilson's report to everyone which actually backs up the Niger story. It should be read everyday until the Left admits their lunacy.

SBD
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
...... The Left and their Media cronies will twist and misrepresent any response he would give. Already they got Libby indicted because they IE, the "Reporters", lied to the Grand Jury and because they backed each other up, whatever Libby said was automatically a lie. Remember Cooper called Rove about some stupid story and then switched the conversation to Joe Wilson's op-ed piece.

This is an EXCELLENT point, SBD. Harriet Miers has now been tasked to conduct classes in the White House related to safeguarding classified information. She should require that all staff write on the blackboard one hundred times, "I will not talk to reporters, either on or off the record. I will refer all questions to the Press Secretary."

Schadow
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Patience, hell. I'm gonna kill something!" Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:

Sadly, I have to agree with you that President Bush is often not convincing when he speaks extemporaneously. His delivery is halting and often fractured. I don't know if you remember but Reagan had much the same problem.......Schadow

There you go again, Schadow Wink

Actually, Pres. Reagan handled the press with aplomb...his completely disarming "There you go again, [insert moonbat name of choice here]" which was always followed with enough common sense that everyone watching knew he was blowing the moonbat out of the water!

And yes, it's true that the press hated Reagan as much as they hate Bush...which is why he had so much fun with them....I don't think Pres. Bush enjoys toying with idiots as much as our past Leader did. So don't hold your breath waiting for him to do so. He played it a little closer than Landslide Ron did, and so far we're no worse for wear...so like I used to tell the kids...Don't worry, Be Happy!

Deuce
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Patience, hell. I'm gonna kill something!" Reply with quote

Deuce wrote:
Actually, Pres. Reagan handled the press with aplomb...his completely disarming "There you go again, [insert moonbat name of choice here]" which was always followed with enough common sense that everyone watching knew he was blowing the moonbat out of the water!

Actually, the zinger, "There you go again" was used by Reagan not at the press but in the 1980 presidential debates against the sitting moonbat President, Jimmy Carter.

I don't mean to criticize my hero, Reagan, in the elocution department. He was great most of the time. But, he did stumble on occasion as most all politicians do. The point is, if a politician is prone to gaffes - and Reagan wasn't - he or she should minimize getting into situations where they might occur. The press and comedians (redundant?) get too much mileage out of them.

Schadow
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow,

We agree more than you know!...but I do remember watching RR destroy Sam Donaldson at least once with that beautiful phrase..."There you go again, Sam"... Coulda been other moonbat/comedian/press on the receiving end of that as well. And I agree he used it first on Carter. Which was all the more enjoyable to watch, as I was in Georgia in '69, when if my memory serves, he was running for Gov...couldn't believe he won then either!

Deuce
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Bush definitely has an image problem and whoever sent him to South America should be fired. The last time he went down to visit the communists in South America, they tried to assassinate him. Someone in his administration is not giving him good advice and is keeping a cloud constantly over his head.

As for the Plame Game, the President is doing the right thing by not playing their game because the more he has to focus on it, the quicker the problem will expand. The Left and their Media cronies will twist and misrepresent any response he would give. Already they got Libby indicted because they IE, the "Reporters", lied to the Grand Jury and because they backed each other up, whatever Libby said was automatically a lie. Remember Cooper called Rove about some stupid story and then switched the conversation to Joe Wilson's op-ed piece?

The anger that I have is more focused on the Republican Party. They control both the House and the Senate, yet they allow the Left to close down the entire Senate? They are a disgrace to every voter who cast a ballot for President Bush. Instead of using all of their time spending our money into oblivion, they should do something before they all get sent down that Alaskan bridge that leads to nowhere!! Both the House and the Senate should start each session by reading Joe Wilson's report to everyone which actually backs up the Niger story. It should be read everyday until the Left admits their lunacy.

SBD

SBD, I had no idea that wilson actually wrote a report! In fact, I've been wondering why he didn't? can I find the report on the internet?

I've got one other question, if you don't mind. When the WH retracted those infamous 16 words from the SOTU, I assume it was on the basis of those memos of Oct. 5 and 6. Do you know where I might also find copies of those? I'm just curious if there is any mention of Wilson. (maybe you know that too?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: