SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smearing the Military on Veterans Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Smearing the Military on Veterans Day Reply with quote

The History Channel is airing, on Veterans' Day, a piece on Modern Marvels called Frontline Reporting.
I just had to change the channel. I can't believe that these liberal arseholes could possibly compare reporters out to create scandels about our boys on the front lines with themselves. This show seeks to hold these lovers of our enemies up to the same honors that true veterans deserve. They create an atmosphere showing singled out incidents so as to sway the feelings of the audience and make a war unpopular, and then they have the audacity to honor themselves on Veterans' Day as if they were veterans themselves. They even bragged how, unlike previous wars, reporters now have the ability to show atrocities when they happen, or should I say when the reporter can twist the truth to make an innocent story into a scandel.

This just disgusts me.

Like I said, this disgusts me. It's no wonder our fighting men are more afraid of being hauled into court on trumped up charges than they are of facing the enemy.

I actually liked watching modern marvels, but now I guess I'll have to cease viewing it and turn the channel whenever it comes on.
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman once stated: "I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast." Seems that is still true.

Last edited by GM Strong on Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman once stated that if he had had all the news reporters shot, there would be news from hell by the next morning. Seems that is still true.

Gee-Wiz GM Strong,
It's sure a good quote and it fits the situation and my sentiments, but I might be a little prejudiced against General Sherman. It was Sherman who ordered the torching of my Great Great Aunt's home in Georgia during the Civil War.
Jack
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He also said:

"But, my dear sirs, when peace does come, you may call on me for any thing. Then will I share with you the last cracker, and watch with you to shield your homes and families against danger from every quarter."

and this observation:

"Newspaper correspondents with an army, as a rule, are mischievous. They are the world's gossips, pick up and retail the camp scandal, and gradually drift to the headquarters of some general, who finds it easier to make reputation at home than with his own corps or division. They are also tempted to prophesy events and state facts which, to an enemy, reveal a purpose in time to guard against it. Moreover, they are always bound to see facts colored by the partisan or political character of their own patrons, and thus bring army officers into the political controversies of the day, which are always mischievous and wrong. Yet, so greedy are the people at large for war news, that it is doubtful whether any army commander can exclude all reporters, without bringing down on himself a clamor that may imperil his own safety. Time and moderation must bring a just solution to this modern difficulty."
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
.....Time and moderation must bring a just solution to this modern difficulty [W. T. Sherman]."

The time has been long (140 years?) and moderation not accomplished since Sherman uttered these optimistic views. Looks like we're going to have to live with it. Sad

Schadow
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:
GM Strong wrote:
.....Time and moderation must bring a just solution to this modern difficulty [W. T. Sherman]."

The time has been long (140 years?) and moderation not accomplished since Sherman uttered these optimistic views. Looks like we're going to have to live with it. Sad

Schadow

Dan Blather, Mary Mapes, et al have dishonorably upheld a long and deplorable tradition. Razz Razz Razz Razz E.R. Murrow and a few others would not approve.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
Dan Blather, Mary Mapes, et al have dishonorably upheld a long and deplorable tradition. Razz Razz Razz Razz E.R. Murrow and a few others would not approve.

GM,

ER Murrow and Ernie Pyle would not approve....I think that completes the list, agin, You're far too generous to the Industy of the Damned...They're gone and we're getting most of our "news from Hell before breakfast" right now! Smile

Deuce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: