SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry Wins Election (Finally)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Kerry Wins Election (Finally) Reply with quote

This article from the Boston Globe is especially appropriate this week, as Americans everywhere focus on turkeys. Smile

As foreman, Kerry wins praise from fellow jurors
By Jonathan Saltzman, Globe Staff | November 23, 2005

Cynthia Lovell, a registered Republican, voted for President Bush a year ago, but during 90 minutes behind closed doors with his rival, Senator John F. Kerry, yesterday, she had to admit he was a smart, down-to-earth guy.

Joe Wesolaski, who works for a brokerage firm, declined to say how he voted but emerged from the same closed-door session praising Kerry as a natural leader who was eager to hear everyone's point of view.

Kerry the presidential candidate may have been a loser. But Kerry the jury foreman appeared to be a winner.

AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: FJK. Reply with quote

FJK. Nuff said.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did Lurch get on a jury and what kind of jury and case is it? Being a lawyer and a US Senator would seem to automatically delete him from the pool. Something is funny here.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
How did Lurch get on a jury and what kind of jury and case is it? Being a lawyer and a US Senator would seem to automatically delete him from the pool. Something is funny here.

It was a case involving two men suing the city over a car accident in 2000. The jury found for the city.

It's an MSNBC site and it's resisting copying. Here's the last half of it. Gagging is in order. The whole piece is at:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10174732/

Edit by Schadow - Here's the whole thing:

Quote:
BOSTON - Sen. John Kerry’s public profile and prosecutorial past didn’t spare him from performing that most mundane of civic responsibilities — jury duty.

Kerry was not only chosen this week to sit on a jury in Suffolk Superior Court, but also was elected foreman.

The case involved two men who sued the city for injuries suffered in a 2000 car accident involving a school principal. The Kerry-led jury rejected their claim Tuesday, and his fellow jurors said the state’s junior senator was a natural leader.“I just found him to be a knowledgeable, normal person,” said Cynthia Lovell, a nurse and registered Republican who says she now regrets voting for President Bush in last year’s election. “He kept us focused. He wanted us all to have our own say.”

The former Democratic presidential candidate reported for duty Monday and none of the lawyers in the case objected to putting him on the jury.

“I was a little surprised,” Kerry said of being selected for jury duty.

“I enjoyed it,” he said. “It was very, very interesting and very instructive.”

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Schadow

Last edited by Schadow on Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody told him ya get a medal for jury duty. Shocked
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutso wrote:
Somebody told him ya get a medal for jury duty. Shocked

But only if he writes up his own citation. Very Happy

Schadow
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Hinderaker at PowerLine has an interesting take on this jury:

Quote:
I rarely second-guess other lawyers, but I admit I was surprised to see that John Kerry made it on to a Boston jury, where he served as foreman. It's hard to imagine a case where one side or the other wouldn't want to strike him.

This doesn't appear to have been much of a lawsuit; two individuals sued the city, alleging they were injured in a collision with a city employee, and the trial only lasted two days. But the verdict does seem to have been a little unusual:

Jurors deliberated for about 90 minutes before finding the city negligent, but rejecting damages for the plaintiffs.

In other words, the jury found the city to be liable, but didn't award the plaintiffs any money. It's entirely possible that this was the right verdict, of course, but I couldn't help thinking that it typifies Kerry's split-the-baby career. He was for the plaintiffs before he was against them!

(emphasis mine)

http://powerlineblog.com/archives/012360.php

Schadow
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to give him credit for serving. If he had pushed it, he could have got out. Then again he doesn't spend much time attending to Senate business so it wasn't any loss. As well, it could arise as a campaign ploy to show his stature as a 'regular' guy. As for me, you do your service and don't make a big deal of it. It's a duty. For the time being, Lurch did right in my judgement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: