SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheney Hits Democrats On War Tack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Cheney Hits Democrats On War Tack Reply with quote

Gotta love this V-POTUS--Very politely telling Mr. Murtha he's WRONG.

Quote:
Cheney Hits Democrats On War Tack
By Bill Sammon
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published November 22, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vice President Dick Cheney yesterday accused Democrats of "corrupt and shameless" revisionism on the Iraq war and called their demands for a pullout "self-defeating pessimism."

"It is a dangerous illusion to suppose that another retreat by the civilized world would satisfy the appetite of the terrorists and get them to leave us alone," Mr. Cheney said in a blistering speech to the American Enterprise Institute in Washington.

"A precipitous withdrawal from Iraq would be a victory for the terrorists, an invitation to further violence against free nations and a terrible blow to the future security of the United States of America," he said.

Also yesterday, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said in Rye Brook, N.Y., that an immediate U.S. withdrawal would be "a big mistake."

"I think that would cause more problems for us in America," she said. "It will matter to us if Iraq totally collapses into civil war, if it becomes a failed state the way Afghanistan was, where terrorists are free to basically set up camp and launch attacks against us."

Mr. Cheney and Mrs. Clinton were responding to last week's call by Rep. John P. Murtha, Pennsylvania Democrat, to begin withdrawing immediately America's more than 150,000 troops from Iraq and to complete the pullout within six months.

Yesterday, the vice president countered, "I disagree with Jack and believe his proposal would not serve the best interests of this nation."

In an appearance later yesterday on CNN, Mr. Murtha stood by his stance, but played down the personal angle, saying of Mr. Cheney, "We are old friends. But he hasn't called me up, but I'm sure he will.
"I'm convinced that he will come around to my position," he added. "This war cannot be won militarily. We have to turn it over to the Iraqis."

Mr. Cheney devoted much of yesterday's speech to denouncing Senate Democrats who have accused the president of distorting prewar intelligence to justify the invasion of Iraq.

The intelligence mistakenly warned that dictator Saddam Hussein had stockpiled weapons of mass destruction.

"The flaws in the intelligence are plain enough in hindsight, but any suggestion that prewar information was distorted, hyped or fabricated by the leader of the nation is utterly false," Mr. Cheney said. "This is revisionism of the most corrupt and shameless variety. It has no place anywhere in American politics, much less in the United States Senate."

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat, refused to back down and even repeated his charge that "the administration distorted, misrepresented and manipulated the intelligence."
As for Mr. Cheney's insistence that the president did not manipulate intelligence, Mr. Kennedy noted, "The vice president carefully doesn't say whether he or someone else distorted, hyped or fabricated that information and fed it to the president."

Sen. Carl Levin, Michigan Democrat, dismissed the Cheney speech to the conservative think tank, saying, "It is easy to make assertions that prewar intelligence was not distorted, hyped, or fabricated before a friendly audience."

The press office of Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, sent out a "Fact Check" on Mr. Cheney's speech, saying he seemed at odds with the White House's message.
"President Bush is trying to tone down the rhetoric. Did the vice president not get the memo?"

Despite Mr. Cheney's objections to a pullout, he went out of his way to praise Mr. Murtha, calling him "a good man, a Marine, a patriot" who is "taking a clear stand in an entirely legitimate discussion."

Such praise contrasted sharply with Mr. Murtha's attack on the vice president last week. The Vietnam veteran mocked Mr. Cheney for obtaining "five deferments."
"I like guys who've never been there that criticize us who've been there," Mr. Murtha said sarcastically.
Mr. Murtha backed off those comments on yesterday's "The Situation Room," while acknowledging that "a lot of people like what I said."

But he called his words "heated, and I feel bad about that actually, because ... [Mr. Cheney] was in Congress for 10 years. He really has served this country. And he's been a public servant when he would have been making a lot more money outside."

Yesterday, Mr. Cheney said a pullout would let Iraq be taken over by terror leader Osama bin Laden; his second-in-command, Ayman al-Zawahri; and their top lieutenant in Iraq, Abu Musab Zarqawi.
"Those who advocate a sudden withdrawal from Iraq should answer a few simple questions," the vice president said. "Would the United States and other free nations be better off, or worse off, with Zarqawi, bin Laden, and Zawahri in control of Iraq? Would we be safer, or less safe, with Iraq ruled by men intent on the destruction of our country?"
•This article was based in part on wire service reports.

http://www.washtimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=2005112
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
DanVCC
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Cheney's speech may have struck a chord with the "unbiased" news media. During his speech, CNN took a step unheard of in American news reporting. To see what they did, visit this web site:

http://www.drudgereport.com
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught the VP's speech on a CSpan rerun, excellant as usual. Transcript at whitehouse.gov

he also hit them with a history lesson -- couple snips
Quote:
Permit me to burden you with a bit more history: In August of 1998, the U.S. Congress passed a resolution urging President Clinton take "appropriate action" to compel Saddam to come into compliance with his obligations to the Security Council. Not a single senator voted no. Two months later, in October of '98 -- again, without a single dissenting vote in the United States Senate -- the Congress passed the Iraq Liberation Act. It explicitly adopted as American policy supporting efforts to remove Saddam Hussein's regime from power and promoting an Iraqi democracy in its place. And just two months after signing the Iraq Liberation law, President Clinton ordered that Iraq be bombed in an effort to destroy facilities that he believed were connected to Saddam's weapons of mass destruction programs.

Quote:
Some have suggested that by liberating Iraq from Saddam Hussein, we simply stirred up a hornet's nest. They overlook a fundamental fact: We were not in Iraq on September 11th, 2001 -- and the terrorists hit us anyway. The reality is that terrorists were at war with our country long before the liberation of Iraq, and long before the attacks of 9/11. And for many years, they were the ones on the offensive. They grew bolder in the belief that if they killed Americans, they could change American policy. In Beirut in 1983, terrorists killed 241 of our service men. Thereafter, the United States withdrew from Beirut. In Mogadishu in 1993, terrorists killed 19 American soldiers. Thereafter, the U.S. withdrew its forces from Somalia. Over time, the terrorists concluded that they could strike America without paying a price, because they did, repeatedly: the bombing at the World Trade Center in 1993, the murders at the Saudi National Guard Training Center in Riyadh in 1995, the Khobar Towers in 1996, the simultaneous bombings of American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998, and, of course, the bombing of the USS Cole in 2000.

how much of that is making soundbites in the LSMedia?
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanVCC wrote:
Mr. Cheney's speech may have struck a chord with the "unbiased" news media. During his speech, CNN took a step unheard of in American news reporting. To see what they did, visit this web site:

http://www.drudgereport.com

CNN's elaborate excuse just doesn't fly. On the one hand they claim it was impossible to reproduce and, on the other hand, they claim they use the "X" for cueing tape all the time. How convenient for a video board operator to screw up just that one time.

On a related note, I just watched the ritual pardoning of the turkey at the White House. In the intro, the President, with Cheney standing at his side, announced, "I'm about to introduce a turkey." (No audience reaction.)

I think The White House communications director will soon regret that staging decision as the MSM shows that clip over, and over, and over.....

Schadow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: