SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Support the Troops, but Not the Mission?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Support the Troops, but Not the Mission? Reply with quote

Need opinions from our Veterans. Run across the all the time.....contradiction or possible? And would this type of message have a different 'meaning'/'affect' for soldiers currently in Iraq as opposed to a veteran of war?

TIA

Kimberly
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just plain bull droppings those who do not want us in the war have invented to not lose political points. By objecting to the war and throwing in the 'We still support the troops line' they think they still sound patriotic. Number one on this list is sKerry, who always claims to support the troops, except when he acuses them of atrocities, except when he votes against what they need (when he shows up), and using his made up hero record for personal gain, ahead of those who were real hero's. As far as I am concerned you cannot seperate the men and women from the mission.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutso wrote:
This is just plain bull droppings those who do not want us in the war have invented to not lose political points. By objecting to the war and throwing in the 'We still support the troops line' they think they still sound patriotic.

Spot on nutso. "Supporting the troops", when they have been placed in harms way by our government (that's US!), should be (and used to be...until the advent of a propaganda-numbed 60's-70's population) a given. When offered as a qualifier to a diatribe against OUR commitment which has the direct effect of placing those soldiers in greater jeopardy, it has all the transparent and hypocritical sincerity of Seinfeld's "not that there's anything wrong with that."

I happened to catch a floor speech during the Murtha debate by a very eloquent GOP congressman addressing this very hypocrisy. His name escapes me at the moment but I'll see if I can find it and reproduce it here.

on edit: The congressman is Steve Buyer ...on to the Congressional Record... (emphasis mine)

Quote:
Mr. BUYER. Mr. Speaker, I have great respect for Mr. Murtha and Mr. Hunter. And I am uncomfortable when Mr. Murtha talks about one political party rallying round something. I do not want Republicans or Democrats rallying around anything. You moved me when I was in my office and you talked about going to Arlington. All of us have been there; all of us have been to our Nation's cemeteries and seen the white crosses and Stars of David.

The gentleman from South Carolina (Mr. Brown) and I were privileged to represent our country this past May, and I am sure Mr. Murtha has been there, standing on the cliffs of Normandy at Omaha. We gave the Memorial Day address representing our Nation. I was there with my 20-year-old son, and I could feel the envy of souls because I thought about what their last thoughts may have been. And then as I strained among these thousands of graves, if I permitted the eyes of my mind to have a vision I could actually see, if I permitted the ears of my heart to listen, I could hear.

And what did they say? They said, What we did on this day was worthy. You see, they came to a continent to free it from tyranny on that day. They came to a land where they had never been to fight for a people they had never met. Does that not yet sound familiar?

And we speak of the sacrifice of what we refer to as the greatest generation. How are we now yet defining ourselves when our men and women are faced with something very similar.

We should be here tonight talking of our strategy of victory, defined by our perseverance to an enduring freedom throughout the world. To discuss withdrawal from Iraq tonight before our mission is complete is the wrong strategy at the wrong time. Why? Because freedom is on the move.

We, the people of the United States, we are a great Nation with a great vision. We seek to preserve the blessings of liberty for our citizens and for all those around the world who recognize the God-given right of Freedom.

Today our Nation is truly engaged in an epic struggle for freedom in Iraq. Whether you believe how we got there is true, the struggle among us is evident here tonight. What we do not want is what Mr. Hyde referred to as our enemies to take advantage of our weaknesses. The painful lessons, whether it was Vietnam or Lebanon or Somalia, North Korea, Iran, al Qaeda, they watch, and it is part of what they want to do to envelope our weakness.

You see, Clausewitz had it right. He said, The use of our military force is the instrumentality of a political decision. We then expect our military to act on the field of battle with great valor, courage and commitment. You see, they are an extension of us. And in return, our soldiers ask what of us? Loyalty. And they expect us to have the very same resolve that we expect of them; that in battle, they look at us and say, when it gets hard, when it gets tough, can you hang with us, Congress? That is a very pertinent question for a soldier to ask of us.

So I respect Mr. Murtha, but this is the wrong time for your resolution, Sir.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone saying they "support the troops" but not what they are doing(their mission), is akin to saying you support the Dallas Cowboys but don't want them to win. Rolling Eyes
Army_(Ret)
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpro wrote:
Someone saying they "support the troops" but not what they are doing(their mission), is akin to saying you support the Dallas Cowboys but don't want them to win. Rolling Eyes

When you hear someone say "I support the troops"; think to yourself, did anyone ask them if they do? If no one asked them, why did they feel it necessary to say it?

"I know how to DEAL with Communists! I still wear their scars on my back from Hollywood"--Former President Ronald Reagon
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they 'support' the troops so much, then they should sign up for active duty themselves..... if that is not an option... then I see no problem with them sending over new armor for the vests, toys for the Iraqi kids... holiday cards to motivate the troops over there... etc.....

need I (we) say more?

MJ
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpro wrote:

Normally I support the Dallas Cowboys.

However, on Thanksgiving Day, as an official unregistered Denver Bronco fan, I do not support the Dallas Cowboys and I don't want them to win.

Subsequent to that, I support the Dallas Cowboys if and until we meet them (again) in the Super Bowl.

Rolling Eyes
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Supporting the troops but not their mission" is just a liberal-babel cop-out term for "I don't have a mind of my own and I want to appear politically correct and at the same time be against America and all it stands for."

These people make me want to puke!!!!
If they had any guts of their own and actually stood behind their words they would go live in Europe with their lib-buddies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: