SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charity. Didja know?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Charity. Didja know? Reply with quote

Charity

As you open your pockets for yet another natural disaster, keep these facts in mind:

Marsha J. Evans, President and CEO of the American Red Cross...

salary for year ending 06/30/03 was $651,957 plus expenses.

Brian Gallagher, President of the United Way receives a $375,000 base salary,

plus numerous expense benefits.

The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.

No further comment necessary.
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have a thug paying me a visit before long. I threw away yet
another United Way payment authorization form. They don't even
have a box to check for "Don't want to Participate" this year. Just how
much a month they can take out of your paycheck. Man I'm tired of
this yearly can shake. I've hated it since I had to ransom my liberty
card for "Combined Federal Campaign".
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a deal with United deFund about 6 years ago in a letter. They defund the Boy Scouts of America and I defund the UdF. Some hack tried to call me on the phone about it, but when I told him I was an Eagle, that was the last I heard. They fund a lot of whacko organizations that don't need my support or money, so screw'em. Razz Evil or Very Mad Razz Evil or Very Mad Razz Evil or Very Mad
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipe,
Liberty card? Slick sleeve?

I remember the annual UW shakedown when all the COs in the squadron tried to out do each other in donations. The plus side was you could then designate the recipient of your largese and add organisations to the beneficiary list. The policy changed sometime ago.

As bad and blatant as the shipboard extortion was on shore I had a smiling admiral conduct his grandaughter through all the command offices (they tracked me down to my darkroom) peddling Girls Scout Cookies....that little girl was not surprisingly, very, very successful.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before Katrina hit I was given the opportunity to pay off a family friends electric bill two months delinquent. In the process I learned five hours of dealing with social services and just who and how all these people get free money for not working.

I was most pleased to learn the Salvation Army absolutely does the best job of cutting thru endless bureaucracy in once a year giving a substantial amount of money for heating or air conditioning bills for anyone who can show the need. Salvation Army was far and away more of a salvation in this instance than any of the Government programs designed to have prevented the bill having gone delinquent in the first place.
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth:

Quote:
Search
Urban Legends and Folklore
Salaries of Charity CEOs Compared

Netlore Archive: Email flier compares the salaries of top executives of U.S. charitable organizations

Description: Email flier
Circulating since: Oct. 2005
Analysis: See below

Email example contributed by Galaine, 26 October 2005:

As you open your pockets for yet another natural disaster, keep these facts in mind:

Marsha J. Evans, President and CEO of the American Red Cross... salary for year ending 06/30/03 was $651,957 plus expenses.

Brian Gallagher, President of the United Way receives a $375,000 base salary, plus numerous expense benefits.

The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.

No further comment necessary

Comments: Here are the most accurate figures for the above-listed executives I could find in reliable sources:

Marsha J. Evans, President and CEO of the American Red Cross, was paid $468,599 in salary and benefits in fiscal 2003. (Source: BBB Wise Giving Alliance)

Brian Gallagher, President and CEO of United Way, was paid $432,709 in salary and benefits in fiscal 2003. (Source: Charity Navigator)

W. Todd Bassett, National Commander of the Salvation Army, was paid (along with his wife, who also works for the organization) $94,091 in salary and benefits in 2003 (including house and car). (Source: Fayetteville Observer)
Note that the exact amount of Mr. Bassett's compensation package is harder to come by than that of the other CEOs listed because the Salvation Army has tax-exempt status and isn't required to report such information to the IRS.
Discrepancies

Some sources claim that W. Todd Bassett's 2003 compensation totalled $166,850, a figure apparently culled from a Forbes magazine feature published in 2004. However, that report, which lists each organization's "Top Person" and "Top Salary" separately, is footnoted as follows: "Compensation may not be that of listed top person."

According to a Salvation Army spokesperson quoted in the Fayetteville Observer, some of the organization's employees indeed make more than the National Commander, with the top wage-earner taking home "nearly $167,000 annually."

According to CBS Market Watch, W. Todd Bassett's total compensation for the previous year, 2002, was $82,000.

Is It Fair to Compare?

Caveats aside, Bassett's roughly $95,000 in pay is still significantly less than the $400K+ that both Evans and Gallagher take home annually. But it's fair to ask: Is one charity automatically more worthy than another just because its leader is paid a lower salary? Not necessarily, says Charity Navigator, a Web site that evaluates and compares the financial health of charitable organizations.

"While there are certainly some charities that overpay their leaders, Charity Navigator's data shows that those organizations are the minority," states the site's FAQ page. "Among the charities we've evaluated, the average CEO salary is $144,521. ...These leaders could inevitably make much more running similarly sized for-profit firms. Furthermore, when making your decision [about where to donate] it is important to consider that it takes a certain level of professionalism to effectively run a charity and charities must offer a competitive salary if they want to attract and retain that level of leadership."

Compensation vs. Total Expenses

Charity Navigator recommends looking at each organization's CEO compensation as a percentage of total annual expenses. For example, Marsha Evans' salary, generous as it seems, amounts to only .15% of American Red Cross' annual expenses. By contrast, Brian Gallagher's salary is .97% of United Way's total expenses, and W. Todd Bassett's compensation amounts to .29% of the Salvation Army's annual expense budget. All these figures are well below the annual average calculated for the thousands of organizations in Charity Navigator's database, 3.4%.

Found here: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_charities_salaries.htm
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we could ALL get "0.9%" of any of our company's expense budget, we'd probably all be much richer.

Unfortunately, my company does it a different way:
"hey, jwb, here's a fixed amount, take it or leave it".

How's that for "perspective"?
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we are suppose to determine the appropriateness of the compensation for the CEO as a percent of how much he spends to run the organization. Talk about the fox in the henhouse Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: