SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ABC News: Angry Lebanese Bury Assassinated Editor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: ABC News: Angry Lebanese Bury Assassinated Editor Reply with quote

If this is further evidence of the vaunted "destabilization" of the ME wrought by George Bush's leadership, I'm sorry he didn't march us into Iraq 2 years earlier. "Good news" seems to be breaking out all over. An image of Syria in a squeeze play between Iraq and Lebanon is a delightful thought to contemplate.

I caught this story during a commercial break of Anderson Cooper's "live" in Iraq coverage on CNN. He seems mesmerized by the optimism and gratitude of a female Iraqi poll worker...
Quote:
Angry Lebanese Bury Assassinated Editor
Angry Lebanese Shout Insults at Syria As They Bury Yet Another Assassinated Anti-Syrian Campaigner

Dec 14, 9:51 PM (ET)
By ZEINA KARAM

BEIRUT, Lebanon (AP) - Tens of thousands of Lebanese - men and women, Christians and Muslims - shouted insults at Syria on Wednesday in an outpouring of anger as yet another assassinated anti-Syrian campaigner was buried.

Lebanon was brought to a halt by a general strike called in mourning for editor and lawmaker Gibran Tueni, who was killed along with two bodyguards Monday in a car bombing, but neighboring Syria largely ignored the events. Damascus has denied involvement in the slaying.

Doctors, nurses, bankers and businessmen joined political activists and students to bid farewell to Tueni, the outspoken 48-year-old general manager of the country's leading An-Nahar newspaper.

"We want to say the truth; Syria killed him!" shouted many among the flag-waving crowd outside An-Nahar's building in Beirut.

"Enough blood and killings. They (Syrians) are taking away our best men in Lebanon," said an enraged Mazen Abdel-Samad, a 25-year-old university student wearing the red and white scarf that came to symbolize Lebanon's uprising against Syrian control.

Anti-Syrian groups in Lebanon are counting on public anger over Tueni's killing to push for ridding the government of remnants of the Syrian era - including intelligence operatives - and to close ranks in confronting Damascus.

ABC News - cont'd
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw only a short clip of the funeral procession but what I saw was fascinating. The front right corner of the casket, as it was paraded through the streets was held up by a Muslim cleric in full garb. Tueini was Greek Orthodox. The names of many of the people quoted with anti Syrian pronouncements were Muslim.

The killing of anti Syrian activists and leaders in Lebanon has served to unite the fractious Lebanese like nothing else could. The Syrians have to be stupid to continue this or else they are the victims of a superbly executed anti Syrian conspiracy orchestrated by folks who have an interest in the downfall of the Syrian regime, even at the expense of other anti Syrians.

By the way....a majority of Lebanese credit GWB with the exit of the Syrians from Lebanon after the death of Hariri. Quote "All President Bush had to do was say was 'get out' and they fled like dogs with their tails between their legs". The steadfastness of our President is seen as strength by those seeking freedom in the ME. (See the thread on Libya)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: