SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celebrities no longer support the USO or the Troops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Celebrities no longer support the USO or the Troops Reply with quote

Quote:
During world war two American troops away from home for Christmas were entertained by Marlene Dietrich, Bing Crosby and the Marx Brothers. Even in Vietnam Bob Hope was guaranteed to put in an appearance. But soldiers in Iraq are more likely to get a show from a Christian hip-hop group, a country singer you have probably never heard of and two cheerleaders for the Dallas Cowboys.

more at http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1673781,00.html

Some of the True American Celebs who still support our troops (even though a few don't support the president) are:
Wayne Newton
Craig Morton
Robin Williams
50 Cent
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders
Jessica Simpson
Ted Nugent

The rest of them can rot in their own little Hells.
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have also been dozens if not hundreds of lesser known personalities, shall we say, who have been there. Let's not forget Ollie North who goes back and forth. El Rushbo went to Afghanistan. Jed Babbin just returned from Iraq. These are hazardous trips for many and the troops really appreciate it. Many of the the glitteratti are wimps and would not take the chance.
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and don't forget the Country Music contigent..
Toby Keith
Darryl Worley
Chely Wright
Charlie Daniels
just to name a few
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one Hollywood celeb that has done far more for the troops and the WOT who doesn't get much recognition. Actor Gary Sinise has dedicated an enormous amount of his time and treasure visiting troops in the field and wounded ones here at home. His project: Operation Iraqi Children has set a standard by which all Hollywood "Stars" should be measured by.

Go here and open up your wallets:

www.operationiraqichildren.org

Gary knows that a grass roots effort is needed in Iraq to change the view children of the Islamic World have of the West. Finally a Hollywood Star who gets it.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Hope and his fellow USO entertainers must be rolling in their graves. Today's American "royalty" Rolling Eyes are for the most part, empty headed bobble dolls whose first interest is me, me, me.
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwIIvetsdaughter wrote:
Bob Hope and his fellow USO entertainers must be rolling in their graves. Today's American "royalty" Rolling Eyes are for the most part, empty headed bobble dolls whose first interest is me, me, me.

I don't think so. You are right about the booble-heads but Bob Hope and the kind of person he and the others were still exist, but they are not the phonies of the Hollyweird Puffed Egos. They are the ones previously mentioned in posts. I don't think Bob or John or Bing gave a damn about them and still don't. Those people were admired. The current crop of me-types may be envied and fawned over by too many, detested by many of us, but they are not admired and respected as a general rule.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for sure we can't leave Raquel Welch out.

Dusty
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perchance its not that the troops are not getting the visits and entertainment but rather the elaborate USO shows of the past simply won't work in the current theater. Added to that is the horrendous lack of coverage by the MSM.

How many actually know what Gary Sinise is doing; what Bruce Willis has done; what Denzel Washington contributed - just to name a very very few? Sure, folks that visit these forums know because we applaud their courage and committment to our troops, unfortunately our voices seem to be drowned out by the negativity brought into our living rooms each evening.

One thing we must do, above all else, is to not look at this in the negative light of who is not supportive. Instead pity them by honoring those who are supportive regardless if it is with a loud media splash or, as the majority seem to be doing - quietly in their own way. I believe those celibrities that are doing the good deeds have taken a page from our own troops' playbook - they do the job quietly, efficiently and without fanfair.
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Tony Soprano and one of the other Soprano stars went over there. I also saw that Cough Al Cough Franken Cough went over there and Chris Isaac went too.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Raquel Reply with quote

"Leave out Raquel?" I don't think so.
geotilman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not forget My favotite Ann Margret & Phillis Diller Cool
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a cold day in February, 1954, my driver and I were jeeping from one forgotten Korean place to another when we spotted a huge gathering of GIs with a stage at one edge. We stopped at the edge of the crowd and asked what was going on. "Marilyn Monroe!" was the excited answer.

We watched and listened for a while, not able to see much and moved on. Much later I read that she and Joe DiMaggio had just married and were on a wedding trip to Japan when she decided to do a fast trip to Korea. She did ten shows in four days, entertaining over 100,000 soldiers and Marines in that unforgettable black gown.

She later said "[That] was the best thing that ever happened to me. I never felt like a star before in my heart. It was so wonderful to look down and see a fellow smiling at me." Probably the most heartfelt thing she ever uttered.

The guys really appreciated it.

Schadow
SOLTC
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Sinise has said that he was amazed that troops recognized him the first time he went to Iraq. He was in a mess hall to get some food. One soldier recognized him and yelled "Captain Dan". Suddenly the whole hall erupted. Sinise said that they made him feel he was one of them.

On his show "CSI-New York" there was a scene in which he had to fire one of his investigators. He started by saying that there were three things he would not compromise. Number 1 was "The honor of my country". Gary Sinise has a lot to do with what goes into his show, so I have to believe he put this in.

Like his character, Mack Taylor, Gary Sinise is a good man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: