SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Murtha Wouldn't Join Military Today--Who would want him???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Murtha Wouldn't Join Military Today--Who would want him??? Reply with quote

I sent this article to my Marine Reservist son who is on duty in Iraq. You can imagine the colorful [not] comment he sent back. On Thursday night this week Murtha and our jerk Congressman, Moran, are putting on a townhall meeting to talk about our troops in Iraq.

I'd love some ideas on questions to ask him! As for his not wanting to join the military today, all I can say is that I truly doubt any of the services would want him!

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Rep. John Murtha, a key Democratic voice who favors pulling U.S. troops from Iraq, said in remarks airing on Monday that he would not join the U.S. military today.

A decorated Vietnam combat veteran who retired as a colonel after 37 years in the U.S. Marine Corps, Murtha told ABC News' "Nightline" program that Iraq "absolutely" was a wrong war for President George W. Bush to have launched.

"Would you join (the military) today?," he was asked in an interview taped on Friday.

"No," replied Murtha of Pennsylvania, the top Democrat on the House of Representatives subcommittee that oversees defense spending and one of his party's leading spokesmen on military issues.

"And I think you're saying the average guy out there who's considering recruitment is justified in saying 'I don't want to serve'," the interviewer continued.

"Exactly right," said Murtha, who drew White House ire in November after becoming the first ranking Democrat to push for a pullout of U.S. forces from Iraq as soon as it could be done safely.

At the time, White House spokesman Scott McClellan equated Murtha's position with surrendering to terrorists.

Since then, Bush has decried the "defeatism" of some of his political rivals. In an unusually direct appeal, he urged Americans on December 18 not to give in to despair over Iraq, insisting that "we are winning" despite a tougher-than-expected fight.

Murtha did not respond directly when asked whether a lack of combat experience might have affected the decision-making of Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and their former top deputies.

"Let me tell you, war is a nasty business. It sears the soul," he said, choking up. "And it made a difference. The shadow of those killings stay with you the rest of your life."

Asked for comment, a Defense Department spokesman, Lt. Col. John Skinner, said: "We have an all-volunteer military. People are free to choose whether they serve or not."

"Our freedom of speech in this country allows all of us the opportunity to voice an opinion. It's one of our great strengths as a nation," he added in an e-mailed reply.

The White House had no immediate comment.

Reuters

link converted/kate
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murtha has lost his mind and sense. It's time for a new Rep in his district. Let's see what happens come primary time in May.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: I bet. Reply with quote

John Martha says: "Let me tell you, war is a nasty business. It sears the soul," he said, choking up. "And it made a difference. The shadow of those killings stay with you the rest of your life."

I'd be willing to bet more than a few Jacksons that Martha never killed anyone. "Choking up", what a phony.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Murtha Wouldn't Join Military Today--Who would want him? Reply with quote

Navy,

You're a great American as is your son, so mebbe this question or one like it will help(I know I'd like to know):
Mr. Murtha, You and Mr. Kerry claim to have been "seared" in your war experience...you, your soul, and Mr. Kerry, his mind. Now that you are a politician, do you think that the American voter would be better served by someone who was not "seared"?

But then, perhaps my level of disgust shows Sad

Deuce

Navy wife wrote:
I sent this article to my Marine Reservist son who is on duty in Iraq. You can imagine the colorful [not] comment he sent back. On Thursday night this week Murtha and our jerk Congressman, Moran, are putting on a townhall meeting to talk about our troops in Iraq.

I'd love some ideas on questions to ask him! As for his not wanting to join the military today, all I can say is that I truly doubt any of the services would want him!
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deuce,
Thanks for your kind words! Well, we tried our best to get into the town meeting tonight and found out the room was filled to capacity by 6:15 pm and they had an overflow crowd watching outside on TV screens. There was lots of screaming going on outside with the most incredibly naive people yelling at the Freepers who were there with their signs. We finally left and came home to watch it on C-Span. It made me sick to my stomach, for it was packed to the brim with leftists.

The first veteran to speak set what I prayed would be the tone of the meeting, for he wanted to know how Murtha and Moran could explain the high morale of the troops who are over there. Neither had a very good answer because it didn't fit their agenda. From then on, frankly, I was very, very surprised at the number of veterans from Iraq who spoke and they were all against the war. They were all either Army or National Guard from the way they introduced themselves and it was a real love fest between them, Murtha, and our idiotic Moran.

After Murtha left, one vet asked just what kind of a plan did Moran have in case the troops left to beat Al-Queda and the terrorists. You know what his plan is?? He is putting together a "plan" to have scholars from all the religions get together and RE-WRITE the text books all over the world... I thought I'd howl laughing!

These people are so incredible!

C-Span2 is going to re-play this video at 11:53 pm tonight.
11:53 PM EST
2:00 (est.)
Forum
Town Hall Meeting on Iraq War
National Rural Electric Cooperative
John P. Murtha , D-PA
James Moran , D-VA
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
frankly, I was very, very surprised at the number of veterans from Iraq who spoke and they were all against the war.
They most likely recruited most of those Vets, to ensure the slant of their 'audience'.

(recall JfK did the same thing, for his election campaign, his campaign even reached out to Sheehan initially)
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate,
You are exactly right! That was my husband's impression also. Many of these people came prepared with written statements--not the vets, but the others. And they didn't even stick to the topic of Iraq. It was a total Bush-bashing, let's impeach Bush etc. To Moran's credit, he did say that he did not believe in that, but, to be blunt, it wouldn't go anywhere since the Republicans were the majority.

Well, we will be back at Walter Reed Hospital tomorrow night to confront the Code Pink idiots. Wish us luck!!
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They most likely recruited most of those Vets, to ensure the slant of their 'audience'.

This past year I have been to Fort Hood at least a dozen times. Not once have I heard any objections to this war. I would assume, as in any conflict, there would always be a few who object.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: