SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outrage at Jail Sentence for Child Rapist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davman
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Outrage at Jail Sentence for Child Rapist Reply with quote

This is disgusting!

Burlington, Vermont -- January 4, 2005

There was outrage Wednesday when a Vermont judge handed out a 60-day jail sentence to a man who raped a little girl many,many times over a four-year span starting when she was seven.

The judge said he no longer believes in punishment and is more concerned about rehabilitation.

Prosecutors argued that confessed child-rapist Mark Hulett, 34, of Williston deserved at least eight years behind bars for repeatedly raping a littler girl countless times starting when she was seven.

But Judge Edward Cashman disagreed explaining that he no longer believes that punishment works.

"The one message I want to get through is that anger doesn't solve anything. It just corrodes your soul," said Judge Edward Cashman speaking to a packed Burlington courtroom. Most of the on-lookers were related to a young girl who was repeatedly raped by Mark Hulett who was in court to be sentenced.

The sex abuse started when the girl was seven and ended when she was ten. Prosecutors were seeking a sentence of eight to twenty years in prison, in part, as punishment.

"Punishment is a valid purpose," Chittenden Deputy Prosecutor Nicole Andreson argued to Judge Edward Cashman.

"The state recognizes that the court may not agree or subscribe to that method of sentencing but the state does. The state thinks that it is a very important factor for the court to consider," Andreson added.

But Judge Cashman explained that he is more concerned that Hulett receive sex offender treatment as rehabilitation. But under Department of Corrections classification, Hulett is considered a low-risk for re-offense so he does not qualify for in-prison treatment.So the judge sentenced him to just 60 days in prison and then Hulett must complete sex treatment when he gets out or face a possible life sentence.

Judge Cashman also also revealed that he once handed down stiff sentences when he first got on the bench 25 years ago, but he no longer believes in punishment.

"I discovered it accomplishes nothing of value;it doesn't make anything better;it costs us a lot of money; we create a lot of expectation, and we feed on anger,"Cashman explained to the people in the court.

The sentence outraged the victim's family who asked not to be identified.

"I don't like it," the victim's mother,in tears, told Channel 3. "He should pay for what he did to my baby and stop it here. She's not even home with me and he can be home for all this time, and do what he did in my house," she added.

Hulett -- who had been out on bail-- was taken away to start his sentence immediately.

Brian Joyce - Channel 3 News
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Maybe. Reply with quote

Maybe the judge would let me rehabilitate this big, bad Hulett feller?
davman
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if judge idiot would let the animal babysit his child or grandchild.
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big trees in Vermont. Better get two ropes.
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this had been my child in this case, I'd have to purchase a gigantic anaconda, clear out a small room in my house and seize the raptist. Perhaps, I'd also seize the judge to witness the correct justice and sentencing.

Armybrat/Armymom
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong, wrong, wrong
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Texas, this "short-eyes" offender would get double-digit years, no doubt and daily infliction upon him what he did to that child.
ilngrecruiter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Good to see how liberals work. Reply with quote

He won't be on the street for long especially if this happen in a small town.
Something will happen to the guy and i bet the ones who do something will go before the same Judge and he'll make sure their sentenced. I wondered what would have happened had that little girl been that judges grand-daughter? Think it would have been the same sentence. Doubt it, this is what we've come to.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"The one message I want to get through is that anger doesn't solve anything. It just corrodes your soul,"

Maybe my soul is corroding, but I fight everyday to be a better man.

Do you judge?
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justice Texas style:

I was called for jury duty in the punishment phase for an admitted child rapist. A 38 year old man had repeatedly raped his 8 year old step-daughter. He pled guilty but requested probation. Of course the DA said no, so they had to empanel a jury to determine punishment.

He got 75 years. Very Happy
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Article published Jan 12, 2006
State pushing for change in Hulett sentence

MONTPELIER — The state said Wednesday it will offer treatment to sex offender Mark Hulett while he is in prison, in a move to convince Judge Edward Cashman to reconsider a controversial sentence freeing Hulett after 60 days.

The state will also reconsider the underlying policy which prompted the sentence.

Cashman ordered Hulett, who repeatedly sexually abused a young girl over several years, to serve a minimum of 60 days to 10 years in prison.

If the sentence remains unchanged Hulett will likely be released from prison after the 60 day minimum, although he will remain under close supervision for years and he could be returned to prison for decades if he violates the conditions of his release. For instance, Hulett would violate the terms if he refused sex offender treatment after he is freed.

Hulett is a sex offender classified by the Department of Corrections as less likely to commit another crime. Under department policies which date back at least to 2002, he would likely have been treated only after his release from prison.

Cashman wrote in an order defending his decision that he would have given a longer minimum sentence "if the department had made available a sentencing option permitting sex offender treatment during this minimum term."

Aspects of the sentence have been widely misstated, according to officials. Hulett would indeed serve as little as 60 days behind bars, officials said, but the judge did not suspend all but 60 days as has been reported. He suspended all but 60 days to 10 years, out of a much longer term.

In any case, the prospect of Hulett serving only two months in jail for his acts has outraged some Vermont lawmakers and administration officials, and has become national news.

Michael Smith, secretary of the state Agency of Human Services, said Wednesday the state will ensure that Hulett receives treatment while he is in prison, removing Cashman's rationale for the short minimum sentence.

"I can't sit idly by. I need to do everything in my power to make sure this guy is behind bars for a long time," Smith said. "What I can't allow is that this system is the reason why a child rapist is not given proper punishment. So I will change it."

Hulett should be given at least eight years in prison if the judge agrees to change the sentence, Smith said. Corrections recommended a minimum of three years behind bars, while prosecutors asked for longer.

Although Cashman's sentence called for Hulett to serve 60 days to 10 years in prison, in practice he would likely be out after serving the minimum sentence, Corrections Commissioner Robert Hofmann told lawmakers Wednesday.

That is because under department directives, offenders are released after their minimum sentences, unless there is a specific reason — such as their behavior while incarcerated — to hold a prisoner longer.

Just because the department does not agree with a sentence, Hofmann said, that doesn't allow it to hold someone past the minimum sentence.

Cashman has not commented publicly on the sentence, which he could still reconsider. Prosecutors are expected to request a reconsideration of the sentence this week.

"Judicial ethics preclude me from entering the public debate," Cashman wrote in his order this week affirming the sentence. "It is difficult to endure, in silence, the type of criticism leveled to date."

Smith and Hofmann said the state will also reconsider the policy under which lower-risk sex offenders like Hulett are not given treatment until they are released.

That classification system has been working, they said. It may be changed if judges can use it as a rationale for short minimum sentences.

"This case is going to cause us to reflect on a lot of policies," Hofmann said.

Rep. Richard Marek, D-Newfane, said the House Judiciary Committee on which he sits has been working on a bill that includes review of sentences and the treatment of sex offenders.

"There is going to be a bill coming out that hits on all of the issues here," said Marek.

A legislative petition calling on Cashman to resign moved to the House Judiciary Committee Wednesday.

Rep. William Lippert, D-Hinesburg, chairman of the committee, said the resolution calling on Cashman to step down will be considered.

"We will look at it," he said. But "these issues are not best addressed in the heat of the moment."

It is fine for the committee to consider the resolution, as long as it doesn't take too long to reach the House floor, said Rep Kurt Wright, R-Burlington, who sponsored the resolution.

Lawmakers and administration officials remain outraged over Cashman's sentence, they say, because it fails to adequately punish Hulett and deter other potential sex offenders.

"There needs to be some time where the person sits and thinks about what they have done and the victims know they are safe and justice is served," Smith said. "We need to punish child rapists and we need to send a message to the victim that we care."

The case has generated a fair amount of attention nationally, with conservative commentators attacking Cashman for being soft on crime. The Vermont Commission on Women voted Wednesday to condemn the sentence, and an Internet petition has been started calling on Cashman to resign.

Cashman himself is under no illusions about the potential impact the controversy may have on his career.

"I am aware that the intensity of some public criticism may shorten my judicial career," he wrote in his order this week. "To change my decision now, however, simply because of some negative sentiment, would be wrong."

http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060112/NEWS/601120347
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: