SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Independent thinking??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Independent thinking?? Reply with quote

As I watch a little of the confirmation hearings and am listening to the wisdom of Democrat Leahy I do believe I need an intepreter. He makes a big point that he wants to make sure that Alito's views are independent of President Bush's, yet then expounds on point after point he expects him to agree with the Democrats position as they are the free thinkers??
He also makes statements the president was outside the law with his investigations of terrorists. Did I miss something and was Bush tried and found guilty while I took a nap??? He wants someone independent of thought to make decisions 'based on law', then not accuses, but states guilt, without a trial or hearing, of the president. Is this according to the law, and if so when did innnocent until proven guilty vanish??? I think an honorable member of out government should at least pretend to believe in the basis of our justice system. But then again, I said honorable!!!
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Independent thinking?? Reply with quote

Nutso wrote:
.....when did innnocent until proven guilty vanish???

By now I'm sure you've heard Kennedy spout the same diatribe and, as I write, Biden is doing the same thing. These hearings provide an opportunity for Dems to bloviate against the President and they take full advantage of it. It's expected and Dems can be counted upon to satisfy the expectation. Nothing changes.

Schadow
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Leahy had me choking on my ramen noodles at lunchtime.
Must be sucking too much maple sap up there in Vermont. I went
back to work after Orin Hatch.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Independent thinking?? Reply with quote

Nutso wrote:
<SNIP> ... and if so when did innnocent until proven guilty vanish??? I think an honorable member of out government should at least pretend to believe in the basis of our justice system. But then again, I said honorable!!!

In the military, it seemed to have vanished sometime after I went in (1968) and before I got out (1972). I was floating and clueless a lot during those years, so I can't be more precise.

Politically, it seems to have vanished about the time Gerald Ford replaced Nixon, and was Borked completely during Reagan's time.

I think the military part preceded the political part as a long term strategy by certain people (Kerry, Rather, Fonda, et al) as a necessary step.

Imagine how bad it would be if Kerry had been elected ... or, for that matter, Al Gore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: