SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Web blog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparky 36
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: New Web blog Reply with quote

Thought the folks on this forum would like this. URL http://mdfay.blogspot.com/

I hope I got the URL correct

fixed that extra dot, in the url/kate
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky 36,
This was wonderful and I bookmarked it! Folks need to know that they have to remove the "dot" before "mdfay" and the link will work fine! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Navy Wife
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky,
I just went back to see the beginning of this marvelous blog, and want to share with all of you how protesters objected to his wearing his Marine uniform to a showing of his work. This artist, Sgt. Michael Fay, USMCR, is awesome! I am so proud of him and what he stands for!

Quote:
Saturday, December 03, 2005
My Protesters
This is the newspaper article that I mentioned in the previous post. I have no quarrel with protests, or liberal progressive thinking for that matter. However, I'm finding that the left, like many of their protagonists on the far right, are stuck in their own little retrogressive groves.

ROCKLAND - Free speech clashed with free expression on a downtown street corner Saturday as artists opposed to war protested the showing of combat paintings of Marine Sgt. Michael Fay at the Farnsworth Art Museum. Sgt. Fay stood ramrod straight when confronted by the small group of protesters upset with the Farnsworth for exhibiting his paintings of combat forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. The afternoon sun reflected off the combat ribbons pinned to his green uniform, and the red chevrons on his sleeves glinted in the finish of his spit-shined shoes as Fay listened to his challengers.

"The protesters objected to the show's content and what they claimed was the museum's "implicit support of war." They said a more balanced show would include images of civilian deaths and mass destruction. To represent one facet of military life in combat zones without placing it in the context of the true costs of war displayed a lack of sensitivity, they said.

"....We are fighting an illegal and immoral war," Suzanne Hedrick, 73, of Nobleboro told Fay. "Without another viewpoint, without the faces of the victims and the ruining of the country, I'm deeply concerned."

"....Fay spent two years in the Afghanistan and Iraq war zones, armed only with a pistol, camera and sketch bag. Some of his work was done in the field, other pieces created in his studio from images he brought home. Fay retired from the Marines in 2000, "but 9-11 changed everything," he said. Fay, who lives in the Washington area, joined a Reserve unit and was posted to the combat zones.

"These in no way, shape or form glorify war," said Fay. "It has nothing to do with anybody ever pulling a trigger. I'm an artist; we do art."

While critical of his subject matter, the protesters also were upset that Fay came to the show in full-dress uniform. They said it indicated that he was on official business and promoting war.

"The fact that he would come not dressed as an artist, but as a Marine is an affront," said Natasha Mayers of Whitefield. "I'm for real expression that's not paid for. This guy is paid for, he's been a Marine all his life, and this is a military point of view. The day-to-day part of war, which we can't imagine, is what we need to see. We need to see images that tell us the truth."

My hat is off to such a man!
Navy Wife
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a juxtaposition, hm?

Trying to shut down an art show - art from one who has actually done the work of making sure that they continue to have the right to try to shout him down and drown him out. Confused

Quote:
"The fact that he would come not dressed as an artist, but as a Marine is an affront."

An AFFRONT? Oh such tender sensibilities!!! And yet they want the gore of "civilian casualties and mass destruction."

I guess if he didn't SEE much of said destruction and casualties, he was just supposed to make them up out of whole cloth?

How DARE an artist break ranks and express something of what he actually SAW instead of what the left insists is there?

It's why I no longer take part in any kind of art group - the politics will just make you sick.

Oh, and I especially loved this one little part of his blog:

Quote:
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time" - Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

We Marines have long cultivated a penchant for being surrounded by the enemy and convincing ourselves this is a good thing.

God love 'em!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: