SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US troops question Woodruff coverage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: US troops question Woodruff coverage Reply with quote

...about time! Christ I'm a Bore implied the wounding of a journalist is the most important event of the whole Iraq saga.

UPI (surprisingly!) talked to the troops:

Quote:
By PAMELA HESS
UPI Pentagon Correspondent

WASHINGTON, Jan. 31 (UPI) -- The American media stood up and took notice when an improvised explosive device grievously injured an ABC News crew Sunday.

In Iraq, and throughout the military, there is sympathy and concern for anchor Bob Woodruff and cameraman Doug Vogt, but there is also this question:

"Why do you think this is such a huge story?" wrote an officer stationed in Baqubah, Iraq, Monday via e-mail. "It's a bit stunning to us over here how absolutely dominant the story is on every network and front page. I mean, you'd think we lost the entire 1st Marine Division or something.

full story:
http://www.upi.com/SecurityTerrorism/view.php?StoryID=20060131-041958-8164r

-Wlm Shakespeare
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heinous and traitorous actions of the lying MSM are detested by no one more than me. But I really can't fault them for their coverage when two of their own are wounded in action. What I am surprised at, (not really) is the lack of editorializing against the enemy on their part as a result of the incident...
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Medical Bills Reply with quote

Ya suppose ABC is gonna pay for their medical expenses?
Armybrat/Armymom
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for the families but at the same time someone was not using their noggin. On patrol - in an extremely dangerous area - standing up in an Iraqi lead vehicle. (Just put a big target on your vehicle) Evidently not using any common sense. Even if they were in a US armored Humvee while wearing body armor, helmets and ballistic glasses (which they were wearing) darn it all, they put themselves in harm's way. My son returned home from Iraq a few months ago and he says that it was really dumb on their part. Several of his friends were injured by ieds while in convoys. One soldier was gunner on a humvee which ran over an ied and he lost both his legs when he was blown out of the hatch. Not any one these guys are featured on the news for days on end. In my world these ordinary soldiers are anything but ordinary. God Bless Them.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Medical Bills Reply with quote

AMOS wrote:
Ya suppose ABC is gonna pay for their medical expenses?

They are. Give them credit for that at least. Woodruff may have an epiphany here and see some reality. We can only hope.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some news executive (can't remember who) said in the last few days that the Woodruff incident "really brought home what a dangerous place this is!"

What? Writing breathlessly about the numbers of dead and injured among our troops doesn't provide a clue as to this being a dangerous place? Maybe now the journalists will stay in the safety of the Green Zone hotels and stay out of our guys' way.

Schadow
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixdogteam wrote:
The heinous and traitorous actions of the lying MSM are detested by no one more than me. But I really can't fault them for their coverage when two of their own are wounded in action. What I am surprised at, (not really) is the lack of editorializing against the enemy on their part as a result of the incident...

Brilliant observation.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm really sorry they got hurt, but i'm sick of hearing about it.
gmez2001
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixdogteam wrote:

I'm sick of hearing about this propaganda news crew. I hope they get well soon and make the necessary changes to balanced news.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: