SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My obsession with impeachment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: My obsession with impeachment Reply with quote

I've written several times in this forum about the virtual certainty of an attempt to impeach President Bush should the Democrats regain control of the House of Representatives this year.

Now, Power Line's John Hinderaker has written a piece on the same subject:

Quote:
In today's Washington Times, Tony Blankley offers a searing assessment of the state of the Democratic Party. His conclusion, after watching the Democrats during President Bush's State of the Union address:

Quote:
Somehow the Democratic Party — for 180 years the most electorally successful political party on the planet — has now almost completely mutated into a party too loathsome to be seen in public, and too nihilistic to be trusted with control of even a single branch of government.

Blankley also notes the growing sentiment within the Democratic Party for an effort to impeach the President:

Quote:
Not satisfied to be a head-in-the-sand, reflexively negative opposition party, an increasing number of Democrats and their supporters in the leftish fever swamps have started calling for President Bush's impeachment.

While I haven't seen any polls yet on the subject, I would guess that something less than 10 percent of the American voting public would look forward to seeing the last two years of the Bush presidency consumed with a Democratic Party-controlled Congress trying to impeach the president during a time of war.

I think that's true. But I also think that a considerable part of the Democrats' current pathology dates from the impeachment of Bill Clinton. I thought at the time, and still believe, that impeaching Clinton was a mistake. Unlike most Democrats, however, I don't think it was politically motivated. On the contrary, it was obvious at the time that the most politically expedient course was a censure vote, followed by ridicule. And the last thing any Republican wanted was to make Al Gore the incumbent President.

Clinton's impeachment was certainly justifiable--like Nixon, he obstructed justice; worse, unlike Nixon, he lied under oath--but in my view, the whole sordid affair didn't rise to a level that warranted the nuclear option of impeachment. Reasonable minds can differ about that, and when the process was over, Republicans moved on. Many Democrats, somewhat ironically, did not. They remained enraged that the right to lie about sex--it's got to be in one of those amendments, somewhere--had been infringed, and they've remained enraged, in many cases, right up to the present. So the current talk about impeaching President Bush was pretty much inevitable.

And I do think that if the Democrats regain the House in November, the Judiciary Committee, under John Conyers, will in all probability conduct impeachment hearings. I don't think the public has any appetite for impeachment talk every time the Presidency and the House are held by different parties, but the Democrats won't be deterred. They're bent on revenge, even if it doesn't help them any more than impeaching Clinton helped the Republicans.

Which is one of many reasons to do all we can to ensure that the Democrats don't retake the House.

I don't think a conviction would be possible since the Democrats will certainly not control two-thirds of the Senate. Voting out Articles of Impeachment from the House, however, would be the lunatic left's triumph of triumphs. Adding that asterisk to Bush's name in the history books would be orgasmic. And remember, the absence of controlling law is not a factor. The House can do as they please and there is no appeal. They might be voted out of office later by an enraged public but it would have been worth it in their deranged state.

As Blankley pointed out within the story, the thought of even impeachment hearings in a time of war is unthinkable. There is a link to more of Blankley's thoughts within the Power Line link.

(My apologies to Democrats in this forum. I have to think, however, that the Democrat Party to which you have felt loyalty in the past no longer exists, at least in its leadership and the influence of the far left outsiders to whom they are now beholden.)

[/rant]

Schadow
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary, to think the monkees might escape their bars Schadow.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Capt'n. It isn't going to happen.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow, I don't think there has ever been any doubt that democrats #1 goal in the world is to impeach Bush.

If they achieve a majority in the House this year, they will no doubt try to do so.
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was absolutely sickened by what I watched on cspan last Monday. It was some sort of impeachment meeting with Sheehan, Ramsey Clark, a ret. military woman from the Reserves, and a few other activists.

The meeting attendees seemed small in number, but as I 'surf' the nets political boards, I have found the 'impeachment' movement to be growing and more vocal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: