SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So Little Respect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PC
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: So Little Respect Reply with quote

It really pisses me off to watch the Star-Spangled Banner being sung at the Super Bowl while Dr John performs at the piano wearing a hat and ABC shows players on both teams wearing doo rags. Is a doo rag not considered a hat?
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: So Little Respect Reply with quote

PC wrote:
It really pisses me off to watch the Star-Spangled Banner being sung at the Super Bowl while Dr John performs at the piano wearing a hat and ABC shows players on both teams wearing doo rags. Is a doo rag not considered a hat?

You bring up a good point. I did not notice the doo rag thing, yet did notice another butchering of the Star Spangled Banner by so called artists. The super bowl performance of the Star Spangled Banner was really a 3 part crapola. It began with Arin Nevile singing so softly and with vibrato that you could barely hear him let alone understand what the hell he was saying. The second part of the crapola was Aretha Franklin soul screaming the rockets burst air portion. Nothing wrong with screaming and yelling, yet the whole 'soul' rendition is something which should be left to their (as in ****** artists original works) as opposed to the recitation of the national anthem. The third part of these two idiots singing of our nation’s song was a duet between Aretha who was still screaming and Arin Nevile who I did not realize was still singing until the camera panned in on him making jerky 'soul' gestures and moving his lips. For those of you who take exception to my references of soul rendition and disgust with the people who performed the national anthem, I wish for you to remember that the star spangled banner was written during wartime and meant for a specific purpose. To remind our soldiers and patriots of our great country and the purpose of their fighting and dying was not in vain. The song is meant to be sung with forceful resonation to project our countries strength and should start strong and end forcefully. It is not meant to be sung by people who hate or could care less for our country. It is also not meant to be sung by so called 'artists' who have no clue. The Star Spangled Banner is not 'their' piece of artwork to highlight 'their' artistic capabilities; rather it is 'our' Nations song, which should ALWAYS be sung in a consistent way in order to project a certain image to our friends at home and enemies abroad.

Also, whatever happened to placing your hand over the chest during the recitation of the song? Seems football players are above and beyond that type of reverential display.

Final point, when Air Force Major Day and Navy Commander Stockdale decided to sing the Star Spangled Banner while captive at the Hanoi Hilton to agitate the guards and provide relief to their fellow prisoners does anyone believe for a moment they sung in vibrato or shook their asses while singing? Or did they yell at the top of their lungs the way they had always heard the song sung. We must always remember the songs history and that includes those patriots who have sung it under the most difficult condition.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched half way through the National Anthem and was so ticked off at the disrespect that was being displayed by the singers and especially the players that I turned the channel and did not watch the Super Bowl this year. There is a difference between singing and screaming and it showed through. This country is at war and our boys will see this sports event, even if it is a replay. They should not see the disrespect shown by the football employees (I will not call them players or sports heroes as they are not heroes in even the loosest interpretation of the words.)

Actions speak louder than words and their actions were disgraceful and disrespectful of the nation that they live in.
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: So Little Respect Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
PC wrote:

You bring up a good point. I did not notice the doo rag thing, yet did notice another butchering of the Star Spangled Banner by so called artists. The super bowl performance of the Star Spangled Banner was really a 3 part crapola. It began with Arin Nevile singing so softly and with vibrato that you could barely hear him let alone understand what the hell he was saying. The second part of the crapola was Aretha Franklin soul screaming the rockets burst air portion. Nothing wrong with screaming and yelling, yet the whole 'soul' rendition is something which should be left to their (as in s****y artists original works) as opposed to the recitation of the national anthem. The third part of these two idiots singing of our nation’s song was a duet between Aretha who was still screaming and Arin Nevile who I did not realize was still singing until the camera panned in on him making jerky 'soul' gestures and moving his lips. For those of you who take exception to my references of soul rendition and disgust with the people who performed the national anthem, I wish for you to remember that the star spangled banner was written during wartime and meant for a specific purpose. To remind our soldiers and patriots of our great country and the purpose of their fighting and dying was not in vain. The song is meant to be sung with forceful resonation to project our countries strength and should start strong and end forcefully. It is not meant to be sung by people who hate or could care less for our country. It is also not meant to be sung by so called 'artists' who have no clue. The Star Spangled Banner is not 'their' piece of artwork to highlight 'their' artistic capabilities; rather it is 'our' Nations song, which should ALWAYS be sung in a consistent way in order to project a certain image to our friends at home and enemies abroad.

Also, whatever happened to placing your hand over the chest during the recitation of the song? Seems football players are above and beyond that type of reverential display.

Final point, when Air Force Major Day and Navy Commander Stockdale decided to sing the Star Spangled Banner while captive at the Hanoi Hilton to agitate the guards and provide relief to their fellow prisoners does anyone believe for a moment they sung in vibrato or shook their asses while singing? Or did they yell at the top of their lungs the way they had always heard the song sung. We must always remember the songs history and that includes those patriots who have sung it under the most difficult condition.

I've been thinking the same thing for years :/

MJ
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but on the bright side, it's less than two weeks before we get another
season of NASCAR! We not only get good racing, but we get good
renditions of the Star Spangled Banner and everyone takes off their
hats.

"Gentlemen, start your engins."
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us not cast stones.

Star Spangled Banner - lyrics are truely inspirational. Music compliments of an old British drinking song - still terribly hard to sing.

Also keep in mind that our "My Country Tis of Thee" is a knock off of "God Save the Queen".

I didn't watch the super bowl so I won't comment on what was good or bad. I'm sure the critics will do that quite well as they did when Rosanne Barr did her thing. Personally, I believe the Star Spangled Banner should be sung acapella with the artists' heart and soul poured into it. Oddly enough, I thought the BackStreet Boys did that best in 2001.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the second Liston/Clay fight and Robert Goulett forgot the words of the anthem. True, he was a canuck. The Star Spangled Banner is hard to sing even if you know the words. It only became official in 1931. I don't know that that was a good thing. Its official stature has obscured all the wonderful also rans. Kate Smith belting God Bless America brings tears to my eyes. America the Beautiful (ohh you're so GoophyDog) and the Marine Corp Hymn are heart warmers. My favorite and well suited to times like these is the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXr,

You are absolutely correct in your disgust and conclusion...I too, tuned out the Superbowl before the kickoff...

So many have sung that song so beautifully, a couple high school kids could have belted it out with precision, power an soul more credibly than whoever the media was overpaying this year....mebbe next year!

Deuce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: