SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yahoo gives info to Chinese to imprison dissidents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Yahoo gives info to Chinese to imprison dissidents Reply with quote

Yahoo is cooperating with Chinese government giving them data to crack down on dissidents. I am outraged at Yahoo.

http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=16402%22

“We were sure the case of Shi Tao, who was jailed for 10 years last April on the basis of Yahoo-supplied data, was not the only one. Now we know Yahoo works regularly and efficiently with the Chinese police.

[more]

49 cyberdissidents and 32 journalists are in prison in China for posting on the Internet articles and criticism of the authorities.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already removed anything related to Yahoo from my desktop. I'm working on Google next so I don't support the idiot billionaires behind it.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahoo, Google, Microsoft and others who do business with network and computer systems that are in China are doing what they need to to 'earn a buck'. If they don't supply the goods, I'm sure that China will have a battery of their own people create a new proprietary system of their own design. I'd much rather let Microsoft, Yahoo and Google do it than try and crack into a totally foreign system 10 years from now when our own intelligence agencies need to do some clandestine listening. At least this way it will have structure and methods that our own government will be familiar with. The internet is ours. It is American in conception and design, all the way back to dARPAnet. I'd hate to think of a competing network run by a repressive regime and a computer infrastructure and protocol that is unknown to our own people. Once the system is fully installed and fully in use, it would be difficult for the Chinese to remove. The restrictions on expression could be turned off later. If a few people are imprisoned because of these actions, it is also probable that they would have been detected and dealt with anyway, whether it was a Chinese system or a system put in by Google or Yahoo. It isn't the compter system, it is the government.
The added benefit from allowing US companies to install and operate the system is that the money comes to our shores.

As for supporting billionaires, billionaires create JOBS. If you give a buck to a low income person, he will squander it and ask for more. It you give the same buck to a middle income person, he will put it away for his retirement 15 years from now. If you give the dollar to a rich person, he will create a job with it (and yes, I know, he will also make more money in the process; more money for more jobs).
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Jack said...but I'm looking for a good alternative to Google and Yahoo as well.
Army_(Ret)
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
What Jack said...but I'm looking for a good alternative to Google and Yahoo as well.

AlGore would do it in a New York minute.
I'm not questioning his patriotism though, any more that I would question Fidel Castro about his snowblower.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:

Same...it is truly sad how these companies sell out the human being. Yahoo is all about making a buck, but what is really dangerous is Googles desire to shape and form information.

That is scary as hell to me.

We need to educate the young. They need to learn reason and logic to do battle with the sophists.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the alternative search engines I use:

www.altavista.com

www.lycos.com

www.metacrawler.com

www.hotbot.com

The last one (Hotbot) has become my favorite since they dump their server every night. .

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: