SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Belzer Proclaims He Knows Better than Uneducated Soldiers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Belzer Proclaims He Knows Better than Uneducated Soldiers Reply with quote

Language edited for this post. Watch the video if you get a chance. This fellow doesn't have a clue about Duty, Honor or Country. Maybe he can sipt hi BS in Iran.

Quote:
http://newsbusters.org/node/4503

Belzer Proclaims He Knows Better About Iraq than Uneducated Soldiers in Iraq
Posted by Brent Baker on March 18, 2006 - 04:29.
[Be advised that this item includes accurate quotations of vulgarities.] When Congresswoman Ileanna Ros-Lehtinen contended Friday night, on HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher, that servicemen she's met in Iraq are “saying 'we're proud of our mission, we know what we're doing over here. We don't want you guys in Washington to lose it over there,'” actor/comedian Richard Belzer condescendingly fired back, claiming that to “ask them” is “bullsh*t” since, apparently unlike him, “they don't read twenty newspapers a day.” Ros-Lehtinen cited the knowledge of her Marine officer stepson, but Belzer, who plays “Detective John Munch” on NBC's Law & Order: SVU, retorted: “Doesn't mean he's a brilliant scholar about the war because he's there.” A quite agitated Ros-Lehtinen sputtered: "Oh, you are though! You are though? Okay." To which Belzer affirmed: "Well I have more time...” Host Bill Maher interjected that Belzer's point was that a 19-year-old is in the army “because he probably couldn't find other employment." The Republican Congresswoman from Florida countered that her stepson is a college graduate, leading Belzer to snidely denigrate the military: "You think everyone over there is a college graduate? They're 19 and 20-year-old kids who couldn't get a job.”

Ros-Lehtinen mocked him: "Yeah, you know because you've been there." Belzer rudely lashed back: "What, I don't f**king read!? Don't do that!" He went on to argue: "It's this patronizing thing that people have about if you're against the war everyone's lumped together. You know, the soldiers are not scholars, they're not war experts." That was too much for host Bill Maher: "You're going to lose even me...”

Video excerpt (2:12): Real (3.7 MB) or Windows Media (4.3 MB). Plus MP3 audio (500 KB)

During the 2004 campaign, liberals contended that Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's experience in Vietnam as a ground soldier made him an expert on the Iraq war, but now, by Belzer's reasoning, soldiers and Marines actually on the ground in Iraq have no credibility.

Belzer is a conspiracy theorist who authored the 1999 book, “UFOs, JFK and Elvis: Conspiracies You Don’t Have to Be Crazy to Believe.” His NBC bio notes that “he hosted and produced The Belzer Connection, a series of conspiracy-theory prime time specials for the Sci-Fi Channel.”

On the March 17 Real Time with Bill Maher, produced at CBS Television City in Los Angeles and aired live on HBO at 11pm EST, Belzer and Ros-Lehtinen were joined on the panel by liberal writer Michele Mitchell. Belzer had a boisterous audience on his side during this exchange with Ros-Lehtinen which I attempted to transcribe, impeded by the frequent talking over each other:

Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen: “Having been in Iraq a few times, and Afghanistan, having met the troops one-on-one with free reign and asking them what they're doing, they're saying 'we're proud of our mission, we know what we're doing over here. We don't want you guys in Washington to lose it over there'. And there is a great sense of determination that what they are doing is making a difference. And yes, it has been an important mission what we're doing, come on.”

Richard Belzer: “Yeah, come on. Our soldiers now are at-”

Ros-Lehtinen: “Are a volunteer force, a volunteer force.”

Belzer: “Okay, fine. No one questions the nobility and the honor that these men and woman who are serving and what they're doing. No one questions that. But now they're targets, they're not going out. Now they're just protecting each other and they're in the middle of a civil war. So it's really not fair to have these people who volunteered their lives to protect our nation under false pretenses to now be, to have targets-”

Ros-Lehtinen, over loud applause for Belzer: “Ask them. Ask them if it's fair! Wait a minute, wait a minute. My stepson, wait a minute, my stepson-”

Belzer: “That's bullsh*t: ask them! They're not, they don't read twenty newspapers a day. They're under the threat of death every minute. They're not the best people to ask about the war because they're gonna die any second.”

Ros-Lehtinen: “Wait a minute! You are talking about my stepson, my stepson who just finished last week eight months of duty-”

Belzer over Ros-Lehtenin: “God bless your stepson. Doesn't mean he's a brilliant scholar about the war because he's there. (applause) And God bless him.”

Ros-Lehtinen, quite agitated: “Oh, you are though! You are though? Okay.”

Belzer: “Well I have more time, I'm not there. My life is not under threat.”

Ros-Lehtinen: “Thank you. I'm glad.”

Maher: “I think the point he's trying to make is that a 19-year-old who is in that army because he probably couldn't find other employment-”

Ros-Lehtinen: “He's a college graduate. He's a Marine officer. He volunteered for the Marines.”

Belzer: “He's the exception for the rule.”

Ros-Lehtinen: “He's not the exception for the rule. I've been there-”

Belzer: “You think everyone over there is a college graduate? They're 19 and 20-year-old kids who couldn't get a job-”

Ros-Lehtinen: “Yeah, you know because you've been there and-”

Belzer: “What, I don't f**king read!? Don't do that!”

Maher, over Belzer: “Woe, woe, woe. Come on. Wait, wait, wait. That, don't.”

Belzer: “Pardon my French.”

Maher: “That was over the line and now you're going to lose-”

Belzer: “It's this patronizing thing that people have about if you're against the war everyone's lumped together. You know, the soldiers are not scholars, they're not war experts-”

Maher: “You're going to lose even me like Michael Moore did when he came down on Charlton Heston in Columbine.”
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sad and shows how ignorant as well as stupid this man is.

Whats that saying?

Better to remain silent and appear to be a fool then to speak and remove all doubt.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like George Clooney, this one also appears to be clueless and totally out of touch.

When he bragged about reading 20 papers a day he forgot to mention they were all leftstream rags that twist the news to anything anti-Bush and anti-war.

Anytime any actor thinks they know more about a war than the ones actually fighting it, it's time for that actor to go get some real firsthand experience before opening mouth and inserting foot again.
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belzer got one thing right: We protect each other when it gets scary, and when we get home, forever.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
When he bragged about reading 20 papers a day he forgot to mention they were all leftstream rags that twist the news to anything anti-Bush and anti-war.

There is the crux of the matter and Lew nails it. During the election I pointed out just how few are the pool reporters with AP leading the way in getting stories on the front page. AP's uber-liberal agenda sets the tone of practically all that follow so regardless of how many papers you read, you'll be reading a story based on just one core source, a source that tilts left faster than an off balanced see-saw.

As for Mr. Belzer. He is a comedian/actor. I looked high and low and was unable to find anything in the job descriptions to indicate a requirement to actually be knowledgable in anything involving world affairs.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Belzer! Another 'part of the problem instead of part of the solution' individual.

Quote:
Better to remain silent and appear to be a fool then to speak and remove all doubt.

That's a good one to remember GenrXr. Here's another my Dad used to tell me when I got to thinking I knew more than I did.

Quote:
Knowledge has never been known to enter through an open mouth.

Dusty
GodBlessVets
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Mr. Belzer still hasnt recovered from that incident when Hulk Hogan dropped him on his head 20 years ago....
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Powers takes Belcher to the woodshed:

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=9558
Quote:
Belzer's Morons
By Doug Powers
Published 3/21/2006 12:05:25 AM

On a regular basis, we hear people say how they "support the troops but are against the war." This has never made much sense to me, but then again, I'm not as smart as actors and comedians. Is there anything they don't know?

<SNIP>

At least Belzer lets it fly unabashedly. Usually the left is a little more tactful in camouflaging the truth as it concerns their view of the troops.

The reason why they believe that the U.S. soldier is an empty-headed dupe isn't tough to figure out.

Consider Casey Sheehan, for example. He joined the military on his own accord, willingly re-enlisted during this conflict, and fought and died for something in which he believed. Casey's mother Cindy, founder of the Crawford KOA and rabid collector of frequent protester miles, has said he died "for nothing."

To use the deaths of U.S. soldiers who joined willingly as an anti-war statement is to discredit their beliefs and judgment, not to mention their intellect. These are all things that liberals do with artful virtuosity. They just don't usually come right out and say it, like Belzer.

Take Belzer and Sheehan out of the equation for a moment and look at some of the others who "care about the troops." Observe protests by the group called Code Pink. An organization so named, presumably, because of all the Pepto Bismol you have to drink to keep them from turning your stomach.

Code Pink members have hung around the Walter Reed Army Hospital, which houses many wounded soldiers, and waved signs such as "Maimed for Lies" and "Enlist here and die for Halliburton." This sounds like a bunch of people who obviously respect the soldiers, doesn't it?

You'd be hard pressed to find another group of people who are more abusive than those who seek peace for a living.

Adding fuel to the "they're so stupid" fire is the fact that these same morons in question are also overwhelmingly pro-Bush.

Much of the left views the U.S. soldier as having discovered an entirely new level of dim-wittedness -- a doofy outlook perhaps deserving of the mockery that has taken place at the Walter Reed Army Hospital, not to mention worthy of the applauded insults that rocketed from the moonscaped mug of Richard Belzer.

To be led into an unjust war by a moron is one thing, but for those same people to vote for that moron in droves makes the military reprehensibly imbecilic in leftist eyes.

For a moment, let's consider the people Belzer insults. Americans like these have helped put an end to slavery, oppression, genocide and all manner of craziness put forth by every spiral-eyed deranged dictator and tin-pot wanker on the planet.

The military can be sent to fight in some of the biggest dung-heap, dirt-bucket and generally scummy areas on the face of the earth -- places that make a septic tank look like the Presidential Suite at the Bellagio. They perform tasks -- from the incredibly dangerous to the intolerably mundane --without complaint or plea for recognition.

The military is often called upon to take on unhinged nut cases -- the aberrant likes of whom may make you long for the stability of Courtney Love. They volunteer to dive head first into a big bowl of "Crackpot Bouillabaisse" against knee-jerk fascists, totalitarian fist wavers, and mad men engaged in a fierce game of "Virgin-Quest."

All this is offset by the lousy pay.

What must make a soldier's job even more difficult is that, on top of all this, they hear entertainers who make a fortune on fiction telling them they have no idea what they're talking about because they didn't learn about their own missions in the biased mainstream press.

Sure -- and Neil Armstrong couldn't wait to get back to Earth so he could see the cover of the New York Times and learn all about what it was like to be on the moon.

Members of the U.S. military have fought and died so people like Belzer are free to sit in comfortable security and insult them. Hey, maybe that's why Richard thinks they're stupid.

In this one isolated instance, Belzer may have a point.

Doug Powers is a Michigan-based columnist for WorldNetDaily.com. Click here to visit his blog.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes me absolutely livid - besides Beltzer's comments - is the fact that apparently the audience supported his comments:

Quote:
...Ros-Lehtinen, over loud applause for Belzer:...

OK, I'm inured to the likes of Hollywood idiots. And I'm used to these kinds of programs giving them soap boxes to reveal their ignorance.

But no way can I, nor ever will I, accept that audience reaction!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: