SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anybody help me, question on the war in Bosnia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonhyo
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Can anybody help me, question on the war in Bosnia Reply with quote

I watched Congressman Ryan from Ohio today discuss how the Democrats were much better at winning wars. His example was Bosnia. He said that Clinton knew how to win this war, and not lose a single US soldier. He also stated that this war was won in record time and a lot less money was spent than on other wars. He went on to say that Democrats would have won this war on terror long before now, if they had chosen to go to war. Don't we still have troops in Bosnia, and it has been over ten years. I thought this was a NATO program. Any help or info would be appreciated.
I would also like to know where I can read about Medal of Honor recipients. Hear Laura Ingram talking about them today and would like to learn more.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just google "medal of honor recipients" and you'll get enough hits to keep you reading for several days.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still have troops in Bonsia "now".
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on Bosnia. Kosovo was my thing. During the Bosnian war I was in a period of not reading news for about three years, having just moved from D.C.

My understanding is though the U.N. and french totally screwed over the Muslims and let them get slaughtered in some small sort of 'protected zone'.

It was a total disastor. Afterwards we started secretly arming the Muslims factions in Bosnia and Kosovo. Richard Clark had his slimmy fingers all over this.

Kosovo is a long, long story but I tend to feel Milosovic was fighting much the same people we are today in Iraq. Remember this is where we started getting intell on Bin Laden's doctor and driver's. I don't think Bin Laden's staff would have been around without a agenda.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:
I'm no expert on Bosnia. Kosovo was my thing. During the Bosnian war I was in a period of not reading news for about three years, having just moved from D.C.

Kosovo is a long, long story but I tend to feel Milosovic was fighting much the same people we are today in Iraq. Remember this is where we started getting intell on Bin Laden's doctor and driver's. I don't think Bin Laden's staff would have been around without a agenda.

Maybe he went a little overboard, but he had the right idea.

Independent that leans right of center.
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A personal anicdote,

I was sitting in the office of an Arab Muslim official (in his country) when he got the phone call telling him that his son had been killed in Bosnia. The son had been estranged from his Western thinking family and had last been known to have been in Afghanistan fighting the Russians. Word spread through the building quickly and I got to sit through a couple hours of condolance visits from his colleagues and phone calls. It was all about his son being a "shaheed" (martyr) defending Islam and Muslims. There was a very real and close relationship between the Arab fighters in Afghanistan and Bosnia. Most progressive Arabs were quietly glad there was a Bosnia for these zealots to go to after the defeat of the Russians rather than returning to upset the status quos in their home countries. Later they would return to Afghanistan to link up with the Taliban.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: