SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A cartoon posted without comment...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: A cartoon posted without comment... Reply with quote

... because none is needed.

-- FDL
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: A cartoon posted without comment... Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:
... because none is needed.

-- FDL

I have read many books on our founding, yet really enjoyed David Mcolloughs sp '1776' which one of my sisters bought me for Christmas. Although he is a lefty, his desire to be considered an intellectual outweighs his bias and thus the book is a very good read.

Biggest point I took from reading the book was Washingtons belief that America had providence and thus Gods blessing, because of how ill-equipped his army was to lay siege on Boston after their defeat at Bunker Hill. For a year they layed siege without powder for guns and somehow the British never realized this. Washington was forever absolute in his commitment to the war from this clear in his mind providence.

I personally believe it was providence. Look at all the good America has done for the world in the following 200 years.

Note: The fight at Bunker Hill was colonial loyalists fighting the British army/royal loyalists and when Washington assumed command of the colonial militias, it became the Continental Army and this was during the siege of Boston.

Last edit: It is amazing to watch people attack this country of ours which has stood for so much good for so long. It is not sad, rather unfortunate that so many would be willing to give up their identity as human beings to conform to a sociopathic ideology of self as opposed to the true providence of this great country of ours.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is amazing to watch people attack this country of ours which has stood for so much good for so long. It is not sad, rather unfortunate that so many would be willing to give up their identity as human beings to conform to a sociopathic ideology of self as opposed to the true providence of this great country of ours.

Well said GenrXr.

Dusty
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and how interesting it is that Washington never won a battle he commanded yet its quite obvious he won the war.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
It is amazing to watch people attack this country of ours which has stood for so much good for so long. It is not sad, rather unfortunate that so many would be willing to give up their identity as human beings to conform to a sociopathic ideology of self as opposed to the true providence of this great country of ours.

Well said GenrXr.

Dusty

The war (as far as 'alqueda' is concerned) is bieng fought in the media more so than on the ground. Thus each little bit of publicity they get is a victory (the Kerry factor).

It seems to me our greatest failure to date has been on the part of the USIA in getting the story out as to just what the U.S. is.

Look at the divine Danish charicatures... The riots spawned by way of some Imams touring the Mid East and Africa with a Pumped up brief only took root by virtue of the demographic of those rioting not having any Idea what is meant/implied by a phase like: 'Freedom of the Press' or: 'Seperation of Church and State'.

A good place to start is The Magna Carta.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two people in the past few days have told me 'The Glorious Cause' is a greatly superior book to '1776'. Have not read it but ordered today from Amazon and will comment on it after finishing it.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXr,

You are ambitious. The Glorious Cause weighs in at 760 pages.

-Wlm Shakespeare
GenrXr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
GenXr,

You are ambitious. The Glorious Cause weighs in at 760 pages.

Damn Squid, and I have yet to start Gibbons 'Decline and Fall'. Books like '1776', I can read in a couple of sittings, yet hard core intellectual endeavors such as Gibbons piece takes years to read. For example while reading Hoffer, Burke, or Kirk, I may read a page then spend days thinking about what I just read.

Is Glorious on this level?
GenrXr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:
Quote:

Well said GenrXr.

Dusty

Thanks Dusty and hope both you and SBD are doing well in your recovery. Been thinking about both of you lately. Hope all is well.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea friend, I'm doing great. Radiation treatments are over a few weeks ago and I'm pretty near all healed up.
Still trying to get used to not being able to talk but my handwriting is getting a lot better. Very Happy
I haven't heard any updates on SBD but I sure hope he's had some encouraging news lately. Maybe he'll read this thread and weigh in.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Dusty
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXr,

Gibbons is close to 3000 pages of dense 18th Century prose. It takes 500 pages to understand the diction and a few hundred more to appreciate the wit and and very dry humor. Glorious Cause is written in the current idiom. You'l want reread and savor some passages but it doesn't take alot of thought. It's a compelling page turner.

As for Hoffer? Well you can spend a year reading him or do as I do and make it a habit to read him once a year.

-Wlm Shakespeare
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Glorius Cause Reply with quote

Are we talking the book by Robert Middlekauff or the one by Jeff Shaara?? Confused

I went to Amazon.com to purchase but they list both.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middlekauff. Oxford Univ. Press

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: