SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NBC: CIA officer fired after admitting leak
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: NBC: CIA officer fired after admitting leak Reply with quote

Looks like the left is already proclaiming the second coming of Daniel Elsberg...

Quote:
NBC: CIA officer fired after admitting leak
Officer allegedly failed polygraph, admitted giving reporter information

By Robert Windrem and Andrea Mitchell
NBC News
Updated: 7:41 p.m. ET April 21, 2006

WASHINGTON - In a rare occurrence, the CIA fired an officer who acknowledged giving classified information to a reporter, NBC News learned Friday.

The officer flunked a polygraph exam before being fired on Thursday and is now under investigation by the Justice Department, NBC has learned.

Intelligence sources tell NBC News the accused officer, Mary McCarthy, worked in the CIA's inspector general's office and had worked for the National Security Council under the Clinton and and George W. Bush administrations.

The leak pertained to stories on the CIA’s rumored secret prisons in Eastern Europe, sources told NBC. The information was allegedly provided to Dana Priest of the Washington Post, who wrote about CIA prisons in November and was awarded a Pulitzer Prize on Monday for her reporting.

Sources said the CIA believes McCarthy had more than a dozen unauthorized contacts with Priest. Information about subjects other than the prisons may have been leaked as well.

MSNBC - cont'd
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it shouldn't be a rare occurance at all. If they leak they should be plugged or pulled but fixed either way.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is Dana Priest going to give her Pulitzer Prize back?

Odd timing...that this came out the same day

Boston Globe
Quote:
EU official: No evidence of illegal CIA action
Antiterror chief advises committee

By Jan Silva, Associated Press | April 21, 2006

BRUSSELS -- Investigations into reports that US agents shipped prisoners through European airports to secret detention centers have produced no evidence of illegal CIA activities, the European Union's antiterrorism coordinator said yesterday.

The investigations also have not turned up any proof of secret renditions of terror suspects on EU territory, Gijs de Vries told a European Parliament committee investigating the allegations.

The European Parliament's probe and a similar one by the continent's leading human rights watchdog are looking into whether US intelligence agents interrogated Al Qaeda suspects at secret prisons in Eastern Europe and transported some on secret flights through Europe

But so far investigators have not identified any human rights violations, despite more than 50 hours of testimony by human rights activists and individuals who said they were abducted by US intelligence agents, de Vries said.

''We've heard all kinds of allegations, impressions; we've heard also refutations. It's up to your committee to weigh if they are true. It does not appear to be proven beyond reasonable doubt," he said. ''There has not been, to my knowledge, evidence that these illegal renditions have taken place."

more........

shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YeeeawwHOOO!! Porter Goss is cleaning house.

BTW, she was a Clinton appointee (appointed by Sandy Berger).
Gave $2000 to Kerry campaign.

This is the tip of the iceberg, round up the whole CIA cabal who have been working to bring down the President and endangering our national security.

Hmmm, I remember posting something a few weeks ago quoting Porter Goss saying he would like to see a Grand Jury empaneled to deal with the leaks. '

BRING ON THE INDICTMENTS!!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kate wrote
Quote:
Investigations into reports that US agents shipped prisoners through European airports to secret detention centers have produced no evidence of illegal CIA activities, the European Union's antiterrorism coordinator said yesterday.

Heh heh. Just can't find any of those infamous prisons! I wonder why?

Speculation is that the "prisons story" was a STING OPERATION. Feed the false intel to the suspected leaker and see where it goes.
My,my, right to the front page of the WaPo with Dana Priest's byline!

GOTCHA Ms. McCarthy!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow! this is fun!

I hope they slam the door behind her!

if this was a 'fed' leak... maybe there are more to be caught in others !

yipee ! I sure hope so.

it sure is a conspiracy to bring down Bush!
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:

She reallly wanted skeery to win the election. Her hubby also gave $2000, and she gave another $5000 to Democratic Party of Ohio
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kate wrote:
shawa wrote:

She reallly wanted skeery to win the election. Her hubby also gave $2000, and she gave another $5000 to Democratic Party of Ohio

After winning the election Kerry was prepared to appoint Mary as the top leaker in the CIA.

I wonder how many classified documents she stuffed in her bra and hose over the years. After all Sandy Berger was her mentor.

Independent that leans right of center.
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly don't want her jailed. I was thinking that leaking anything affecting the security of the United States should be Firing Squad stuff.
Classified information is classified for a reason. SECURITY.
It's not to be leaked. It is not to be the subject of gossip.
It is not to be discussed without a need to know, and then only to someone authorized to know.
And it certainly should NEVER show up as printed copy in a liberal anti-American news-rag.
Any other dissemination of classified information, no matter how trivial, should be considered "Aiding and Abetting the Enemy in time of War".

Only exceptions that I can think of:
The leaked info is part of an operation to catch a spy or leaker.
The leaked info is mis-information designed to deceive your enemy.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier this week I was watching one of the communist channels and was presented with a talk by Dana Priest on The CIA's Secret War

I know priests persona well from watching her on Fox and Inside Washington, I was stricken with how horrible she looked and how she seemed off her game. I think she knew the preverbal wastematter was about to hit the fan.

Here is a video link to watch the show. It's a little 'Alice in wonderland' like now that we know what has happened.

I want these folks in jail, Berger who hired her, priest who risked many countless operatives lives in getting her scoop, and the bimbo from langely who leaked the stuff.

real player link HERE

This is a interesting watch and about a hour long.

Further for your morning amusement.... the way I found this link, having watched the show some few days ago... was a google search on her name and the subject.

Oddly enough the ACLU was where I got my first nibble!.... Who da thunk it, the ACLU? I thought they and bill oreilly were looking out for Me!
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote
Quote:
I know priests persona well from watching her on Fox and Inside Washington, I was stricken with how horrible she looked and how she seemed off her game.

THIS is why Priest is looking so horrible.
Executive Editor of the WAPO trying to justify printing the story:
From today's WASHINGTON POST
Quote:
~SNIP~

Post Executive Editor Leonard Downie Jr. said people who provide citizens the information they need to hold their government accountable should not "come to harm for that."

"The reporting that Dana did was very important accountability reporting about how the CIA and the rest of the U.S. government have been conducting the war on terror," Downie said. "Whether or not the actions of the CIA or other agencies have interfered with anyone's civil liberties is important information for Americans to know and is an important part of our jobs."

In an effort to stem leaks, the Bush administration launched several initiatives earlier this year targeting journalists and national security employees. They include FBI probes, extensive polygraphing inside the CIA and a warning from the Justice Department that reporters could be prosecuted under espionage laws.

The effort has been widely seen among members of the media, and some legal experts, as the most extensive and overt campaign against leaks in a generation, and has worsened the already-tense relationship between mainstream news organizations and the White House.

~SNIP~

Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lengthy paper written by James B. Bruce who is Vice Chairman of the Director of Central Intelligence's Foreign Denial and Deception Committee, which explores the deadly threat posed by the leakers and those who publish the material leaked.

Bruce explains that the leaker/publisher cabal literally does the work of spies. Further, while adequate laws exist to punish offenders, there is little will to prosecute. Here's a snip from his paper:

Quote:
Adversarial foreign countries and terrorists rely heavily on the US press to acquire sensitive information about intelligence in order to deploy countermeasures against it.  Since such disclosures can have the same effect as espionage, we should treat government leakers and their collaborating journalists as subject to the same laws that apply to spies whose work is more clandestine, but sometimes no more damaging.  While the espionage statutes are, for the most part, seriously flawed in their applicability to leaks, for the present they are all that we have.  Also, to date, neither leaker nor publisher has been taken to account under laws specifically designed to protect against damaging disclosures of sensitive signals or human intelligence.  We should thus begin by trying to enforce the three pertinent laws now on the books:  18 USC § 793 against leakers; 18 USC § 798 against leakers and publishers of classified SIGINT information; and 50 USC § 421 against leakers and publishers who expose HUMINT sources.

Is the AG, Gonzales, finally the guy with the stones to test these laws all the way to the Supremes? If I were advising him, I would recommend perp-walks for Priest, Risen and Lichtblau (the latter two for publishing the NSA surveillance program) and charge them under these Code provisions, Pulitzers notwithstanding.

The Bruce piece is titled, "Laws and Leaks of Classified Intelligence, The Consequences of Permissive Neglect". It is well worth a read. Find it Here

Schadow
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:
There's a lengthy paper written by James B. Bruce who is Vice Chairman of the Director of Central Intelligence's Foreign Denial and Deception Committee, which explores the deadly threat posed by the leakers and those who publish the material leaked.

Bruce explains that the leaker/publisher cabal literally does the work of spies. Further, while adequate laws exist to punish offenders, there is little will to prosecute. Here's a snip from his paper:

Quote:
Adversarial foreign countries and terrorists rely heavily on the US press to acquire sensitive information about intelligence in order to deploy countermeasures against it.  Since such disclosures can have the same effect as espionage, we should treat government leakers and their collaborating journalists as subject to the same laws that apply to spies whose work is more clandestine, but sometimes no more damaging.  While the espionage statutes are, for the most part, seriously flawed in their applicability to leaks, for the present they are all that we have.  Also, to date, neither leaker nor publisher has been taken to account under laws specifically designed to protect against damaging disclosures of sensitive signals or human intelligence.  We should thus begin by trying to enforce the three pertinent laws now on the books:  18 USC § 793 against leakers; 18 USC § 798 against leakers and publishers of classified SIGINT information; and 50 USC § 421 against leakers and publishers who expose HUMINT sources.

Is the AG, Gonzales, finally the guy with the stones to test these laws all the way to the Supremes? If I were advising him, I would recommend perp-walks for Priest, Risen and Lichtblau (the latter two for publishing the NSA surveillance program) and charge them under these Code provisions, Pulitzers notwithstanding.

The Bruce piece is titled, "Laws and Leaks of Classified Intelligence, The Consequences of Permissive Neglect". It is well worth a read. Find it Here

Schadow

Thanks for the link Schadow.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an AP story in this morning's paper, the WaPo Executive Editor, Leonard Downie, Jr., Priest's boss, is said to have written in the paper's web site (emphasis added):
Quote:
"We don't know the details of why (the CIA employee) was fired, so I can't comment on that. But, as a general principle, obviously I am opposed to criminalizing the dissemination of government information to the press."

Alternative translations: "No government information should be classified" - or - "The laws do not apply to the press." Mr. Downie needs a strong cluebat.

Schadow
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In an AP story in this morning's paper, the WaPo Executive Editor, Leonard Downie, Jr., Priest's boss, is said to have written in the paper's web site (emphasis added):
Quote:
"We don't know the details of why (the CIA employee) was fired, so I can't comment on that. But, as a general principle, obviously I am opposed to criminalizing the dissemination of government information to the press."

That's a most interesting pronouncement given that when the WaPo thought that Scooter Libby was a "leaker" they were ready to lead the lynch mob. Two-faced, hypocritical B#@##s!

Keep an eye on this one. Apparently Mary McCarthy has some very interesting and intriguing connections with a number of names that have been in the news of late - all aligned with the "other side."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: