SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Porter Goss Resigning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Porter Goss Resigning Reply with quote

Just announced by the White House.
Sheesh, is this because Goss's #3 man, Foggo, is rumored to be linked to Duke Cunningham scandal?

See this March/06 story:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=1684086&page=1
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Army_(Ret)
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaning up the CIA is like walking a mile through a mine field. I'm surprised he lasted this long. He should get a medal.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speculation today is that there was bad blood between Goss and John Negroponte, the Director of National Intelligence.

A likely successor to Goss is General Michael Hayden, former head of the NSA. This would be an excellent choice. Hayden, in appearances before the gasbags in the various congressional committees, acquitted himself extremely well, taking no guff from them. He is a patriot and knows the intel world inside and out.

The condition of the CIA is very worrisome with most of the senior career people being Clinton/Albright loyalists acting as a mini-government with questionable devotion to the current President and his goals for the country. This manifests itself in the wonton leakage of highly classified material to the press, which has next to no loyalty to the good of the country.

I hate to see Goss go. He had begun to clean house. If it's Hayden, it could go even better.

Schadow
Army_(Ret)
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree Schadow. Hope it's soon and successful.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Army_(Ret) wrote:
Cleaning up the CIA is like walking a mile through a mine field. I'm surprised he lasted this long. He should get a medal.

It is a minefield.

Under Goss watch we lost our secrecy on two major Intel operations.

Not hard to see why he is gone and being replaced.

He was incompetent.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing in Powerline blog under "The Briar Patch, Please!", John Hinderaker sets the stage for a possibly contentious confirmation process for General Hayden, should he be nominated. The New York Times, of course, gives marching orders for the senators.

Quote:
The White House says that General Michael Hayden is the leading choice to replace Porter Goss at the CIA. That's great; Hayden comes out of the NSA and is an eloquent and effective advocate of the NSA's terrorist surveillance program. The New York Times warns President Bush that Hayden's nomination would cause controversy:

Quote:
Gen. Michael V. Hayden, who senior administration officials said Friday was the likely choice of President Bush to head the Central Intelligence Agency, has a stellar résumé for a spy and has long been admired at the White House and on Capitol Hill.

But General Hayden, the principal deputy director of national intelligence, would also face serious questions about the controversy over the National Security Agency's domestic surveillance program, which he oversaw and has vigorously defended.

His Senate nomination hearing, if he is chosen to succeed Director Porter J. Goss, is likely to reignite debate over what civil libertarians say is the program's violation of Americans' privacy.

The Times gives us a preview of the debate by quoting a critic of the NSA program:

Quote:
Marc D. Rotenberg, executive director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center in Washington, said the nomination would be strongly opposed by civil libertarians.

"We have to confront the chilling prospect that the incoming head of the C.I.A. believes it's permissible to conduct warrantless surveillance on the American public," Mr. Rotenberg said Friday night.

What's really chilling is that the federal courts believe the same thing, having approved at least two dozen categories of warrantless surveillance of the American public, including warrantless spying used to gain foreign intelligence.

To all of this I say: great! Hardly anything would give the Republican faithful a bigger boost than the spectacle of Senate Democrats attacking an Air Force general for trying to protect America against terrorism. Please, Democrats, please don't deny us this opportunity. And could we possibly schedule the hearing closer to November?

Source

Schadow
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Under Goss watch we lost our secrecy on two major Intel operations.

Not hard to see why he is gone and being replaced.

He was incompetent.

The jury is still be out on that (re incompetent). Various opinions and rumors flitting about. He was put in place for a transitionary role...

From MacRanger’s Blog
Quote:
Forget the "forced". Again, the President of the United States isn't going to appear in a photo op with someone who is being forced to resigned. The reason, again, "An 18-month tenure marked by an exodus of some of the agency's top talent".

In otherwords - he cleaned house. All the rest of her article is crap. Yeah "mass exodus" of worms, dust-mites, cockroaches and all the other stuff a good broom catches in it's wake. Goss didn't come in to be a "uniter", or necessarily a "divider" but specifically to be a "Fox among the chickens" and "stir things up".

He did. Under his tenure things did get stired up and the rogues who saw the light at the end of the tunnel and realized it was the "Goss Express" did what rats do. They vacate. But his stirring up did get a major result accomplished.

Point of clarity that will be coming out in the days and weeks to come, Mary (Loose Lips) McCarthy wasn't just "a" leaker - she was in fact the Queen Bee leaker from which all the little worker bees delivered their 'honey'.

So do you get it now? Goss killed the Queen - mission accompished.
By the way, while Priest laments on an "agency in turmoil", I actually hear that far more in the agency are happy that Goss came to town and killed off the hive.

Quote:
"I liked his leadership. .....The tired lifers that couldn't keep their puss off a phone receiver to the media.....we're a intelligence agency, not the Democratic National Committee...."

Again, I'm sticking to my guns that everything IC is coming under one rule - Negroponte's office. Again, part of Goss's transitioning of the agency - contrary to other opinions - was to "un-centralize" the Central Intelligence Agency. Need I repeat the mantra?

If Hayden is the man - then mission accomplished - the circle is complete.

and from all acounts, Hayden is going to be the man
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate,
I love Mac! He has been predicting the purge for months, and the best is yet to come! He has "cousins" in the know.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: