SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Andrew Sullivan: "Untergang 2003"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Andrew Sullivan: "Untergang 2003" Reply with quote

I had given up on Andrew Sullivan sometime during the 2004 campaign as he made a rather dramatic shift to the darkside, but I'm glad I popped-in to catch this...(a translation of "Untergang" would be appreciated). Given effective distribution in the UK, I would imagine Blair/Bush UK popularity might be in for a change....

Quote:
Untergang 2003
Andrew Sullivan
Daily Dish
Apr 27, 2006

A long, detailed and fascinating insight into the Saddam dictatorship in Iraq has just been published in Foreign Affairs magazine. The swift decapitation of his brutal regime gave historians an unusual chance to get primary materials and records and testimony to explore what was going on in his deranged mind as the invasion happened - and much else. The report was commissioned by the U.S. Joint Forces Command. It rests on thousands of interviews and hundreds of pages of documents. It's an important counter-weight to "Cobra II." There's much in it that's revelatory. Among the more important points, it seems to me, are a) Saddam really was hoping that Russia and France would prevent his toppling, because of their business interests; b) he lived in a world of denial and terror where the existence of WMD stockpiles was firmly believed within his own government; c) he created the Saddam Fedayeen, the al Quds Army, and the Baath Party militia to control Kurdish and Shiite unrest, and only later deflected them into the insurgency that is still raging.

But for me, the most important fact is the following:
    The Saddam Fedayeen also took part in the regime's domestic terrorism operations and planned for attacks throughout Europe and the Middle East. In a document dated May 1999, Saddam's older son, Uday, ordered preparations for 'special operations, assassinations, and bombings, for the centers and traitor symbols in London, Iran and the self-ruled areas [Kurdistan].' Preparations for 'Blessed July,' a regime-directed wave of 'martyrdom' operations against targets in the West, were well under way at the time of the coalition invasion.
It was only a matter of time before Iraq deployed Islamist terror against the West. Those who sincerely marched against war in London in 2002 and 2003 were unwittingly marching to keep in power a regime planning to bomb and terrrorize them.

Andrew Sullivan
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.iee.et.tu-dresden.de/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/wernerr/search.sh?string=Untergang&nocase=on&hits=50
(with the disclaimer I don't speak German):

Untergang:
Armageddon -- der Weltuntergang
decay -- der Untergang
decline -- der Untergang (Astronomie)
doom -- der Untergang
doomed to ruin -- dem Untergang geweiht
doomsday scenario -- das Untergangsszenario
downfall -- der Untergang
end of the world -- der Weltuntergang
fall -- der Untergang
fate -- der Untergang
fated -- dem Untergang geweiht
moonset -- der Monduntergang
overthrow -- der Untergang
perdition -- der Untergang
perdition -- der gänzliche Untergang
ruin -- der Untergang
setting -- der Untergang (Astronomie)
sinking -- der Untergang
sinking of the ship -- der Schiffsuntergang
sundown -- der Sonnenuntergang
sunset -- der Sonnenuntergang
at sunset -- bei Sonnenuntergang
undoing -- der Untergang
wreck -- der Untergang
wreckage -- der Untergang
joe_madeup
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A literal translation might be "The way below" or "The going-under".

From the earlier post I gather the Germans made it an idiom at some point for the idea of decay, dying, ending, going to hell, or some such.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you say Gotterdamarung in Farsi?

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: