SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jack Murtha?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tall Texan
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Jack Murtha? Reply with quote

Michael Savage gets truth right most of the time, the other day he put on a letter by a person who said they reserched Murtha's record.

yes 37 years in Marines but, 35 were in Reserve, only two active duty,
one year during the Korean conflict, served stateside, one year during the vietnam conflict (?) served as an intell officer in Sigh-goon, most likely under air conditioning.

in addition the guy said there were some awards and citations

has any one here done any reserch on this?
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unfamiliar with Murtha's service resume, but I think I can shed some light on the 35 years he was a reservist, or at least that part that he served in Congress.

Back in the early to mid-70's I was stationed at one of the Washington area Navy Labs. I worked with a guy who was a GS-14, and was a Naval Reserve CDR. Nothing special about him - not a pilot, not in intel, not a submariner - just an ordinary Surface Navy officer Reservist. He had never been aboard a USN ship, and was thrilled when I arranged a visit and tour of a couple of ships in Norfolk. These guys would attend regular drills with a group of similar GS/Reservists (so who knows what they actually did), and when it came time for their annual 2-weeks of "active duty" training, they were merely required to shed their civies and wear their uniforms to work, the theory being that since they worked at a Navy Lab, that was equivalent to any real exposure to the Navy.

Now here comes the punch line... My associate was really torqued about their "hardships" in light of what their compatriot Reservists in Congress were required to do. At that time Naval Reservists in Congress - and there were a lot of them at the time - had managed to exempt themselves from any requirement to attend drills or to participate in the annual 2-week "active" training. In other words, according to my associate, Congressional Reservists received their Reserve pay, perks and benefits, and accumulated their retirement pension for doing absolutely nothing!

I've never attempted to confirm this information, and changes in rules (and exemptions) may have changed. Nor can I state that I know that it was the same for Army or Marine Reservists (though I fully expect that it was). It would be worthwhile to check into this, since, if true, it amounts to another scam foisted on the taxpayers. (And you can certainly understand why, if true, it's not well known.)

But if there's even a shred of truth to this story, it means that Murtha's time in the Reserves while he was simulataneously in Congress is totally meaningless (or should I say "useless"?).
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this 'perk' is for real either A.K. but it sure wouldn't surpirse me. Our civil servant 'representatives' have for sure written themselves some major benifits. Like their retirement program which irks me no end.

Dusty
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
has any one here done any research on this?

Murtha's website has info on his service

wikipedia has more detail -- although I note that the website has had a significant makeover since just yesterday ...

seems some Jarheads had done some editing Wink

( this article covers many of the alleged disparities, citing old news sources )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: