SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A deluded Viet Vet: "No victory in Iraq"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: A deluded Viet Vet: "No victory in Iraq" Reply with quote

Sadly, a newpaper reader in Philadelphia informed me that this letter from an alleged Vietnam vet was posted in the Philadelphia Inquirer today:

Quote:
No victory in Iraq

A June 23 commentary by Marine Lt. Col. Glen Butler, "Key to success lies in patient, united America," pleads for public support for the war in (more properly, occupation of) Iraq.

The article is replete with phrases such as overall conclusive victory and allow the military to complete its job but nowhere does the colonel define these terms. Therefore, I will supply a definition: namely, the installation of a stable, democratic, secular government in Iraq. Anything less would be a tragic waste of the blood and treasure we are expending.

But this is not a mission that can be accomplished by the armed forces of any nation. We were taught that lesson decades ago in Vietnam (I am a veteran of that conflict). But those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

FDL wrote:
I'm note sure which "we" Mr. O'Brien alleges to speak for ... guess Nazi Germany and Imperialist Japan and Fascist Italy don't count. In reality, those who have been misled about the past are condemned to be 'useful idiots' in the Lenin sense -- FDL

The 9/11 attacks should have mobilized the law-enforcement resources of the entire world. They were basically a criminal matter, but the Bush administration responded by spending hundreds of billions of dollars and tens of thousands of lives in carrying out the plans of the Project for a New American Century.

Meanwhile, we have a crumbling infrastructure, inferior schools, and lack of universal health care, thanks, at least in part, to the costs of maintaining the old American century.

I am afraid I must subscribe to the comment that Colonel Butler disparages, "I support our troops, but not the war."

FDL wrote:
I'll bet a few million dead Indochinese would beg to differ if they had not been butchered by their communist masters after we fled -- FDL

John A. O'Brien

Lafayette Hill

It is a shame that this vet has both bought the leftist tagline on Vietnam hook, line and sinker, and it's even more appalling to see the far-left Philadelphia Inquirer take advantage of this poor lost soul.

Mr. O'Brien has unknowingly misused the saying about those who don't remember the past. In order to not "repeat the past", one has to remember the past accurately.

Many were denied that chance by the MSM, "The most dangherous man in America" Walter Cronkite, "The US military is Genghis Khan" John Kerry, Hanoi Jane Fonda, and others. They were fed a truckload of crap by these Marxist agitators who were trying to tear this country and its western values apart, and still are.

In fact, we won the Vietnam war and would likely have succeeded in installing democracy, as we did in Japan, Germany, Italy and other ex-imperialist or fascist European countries after WW2.

To people like Mr. O'Brien, here's a bit of 'history' that should be 'seared' into their memory (and if they do not realize the importance of such history, then they are hopelessly lost):

Quote:
Gen. Giap planned and directed the military operations against the French that culminated in their defeat at the Battle of Dien Bien Phu in 1954. During the 1960's Giap controlled guerrilla operations against South Vietnam and the United States and planned the Tet Offensive of 1968.

In his book, Giap clearly indicated that NVA troops were without sufficient supplies, and had been continually defeated time and again.

By 1968, NVA morale was at its lowest point ever. The plans for "Tet" '68 was their last desperate attempt to achieve a success, in an effort to boost the NVA morale. When it was over, General Giap and the NVA viewed the Tet '68 offensive as a failure, they were on their knees and had prepared to negotiate a surrender.

At that time, there were fewer than 10,000 U.S. casualties, the Vietnam War was about to end, as the NVA was prepared to accept their defeat. Then, they heard Walter Cronkite (former CBS News anchor and correspondent) on TV proclaiming the success of the Tet '68 offensive by the communist NVA. They were completely and totally amazed at hearing that the US Embassy had been overrun. In reality, The NVA had not gained access to the Embassy--there were some VC who had been killed on the grassy lawn, but they hadn't gained access. Further reports indicated the riots and protesting on the streets of America.

According to Giap, these distorted reports were inspirational to the NVA. They changed their plans from a negotiated surrender and decided instead, they only needed to persevere for one more hour, day, week, month, eventually the protesters in American would help them to achieve a victory they knew they could not win on the battlefield. Remember, this decision was made at a time when the U.S. casualties were fewer than 10,000, at the end of 1967, beginning of 1968.

In effect, our MSM killed 40,000 Vietnam soldiers and countless millions of Indochinese, some of whom can be seen below:

It is unclear if these people were beheaded as a cause of death, as many Iraqis are likely to be if we follow Mr. O'Brien's counsel.

--FDL

note: E-mail of commentator deleted. Interested parties may view the linked story/me#1

Yes, sorry about posting the email address, it was part of the letter in the Inquirer.

Addendum: my contact tells me Mr. O'Brien has responded to this posting which was called to his attention. He wrote Thank you for calling this to my attention. I consider it an honor to be "swiftboated."

It is my belief this is no Vietnam vet but more likely an Inquirer 'sock puppet.'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: