SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Because we don’t know, Jack …*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Because we don’t know, Jack …* Reply with quote

a possible twist on Murtha & the NYTimes

this is from DianaIrey
emphasis added
Quote:
Because we don’t know, Jack …*

On the Monday, June 26 edition of CNN’s “Situation Room,” hosted by Wolf Blitzer, New York Times editor in chief Bill Keller discussed the newspaper’s decision to publish last week details of a secret U.S. Government program to track terrorist financing.

Here’s a part of the exchange:

KELLER: To the best of my knowledge, three people outside of the administration were asked by the administration to call us. I spoke to one of them. One of them spoke to our Washington bureau chief. One of them spoke to Jill Abramson, our managing editor. All of them spoke, they thought, in confidence, and I don't think I will breach the confidence of what they said, although I will say that not all of them urged us not to publish.

BLITZER: Because in the letter from the treasury secretary, he specifically refers to former Democratic Congressman Lee Hamilton, who, together with the chairman of the 9/11 Commission, Governor Tom Kean of New Jersey, appealed to you not to print this information. I assume you can confirm Lee Hamilton, since the treasury secretary has disclosed his name.

KELLER: I am happy to tell you who we spoke to. I think I'll leave it to them to tell you what they actually said, but I will say that...

BLITZER: Who were the three people outside of the administration that asked you not to report this information?

KELLER: Tom Kean, Lee Hamilton and Congressman Jack Murtha.

Some analysts have noted that because Treasury Secretary John Snow has publicly named former 9/11 Commission co-chairmen Tom Kean, Sr., and Lee Hamilton as people he knew to have talked to officials of the New York Times, and because Mr. Keller has indicated that New York Times officials received calls from three people outside the Administration – to wit, Tom Kean, Sr., Lee Hamilton, and U.S. Rep. Jack Murtha – but then goes on to say that “not all of them urged us not to publish,” the question is raised as to whether or not Jack Murtha actually urged the New York Times not to publish.

Today’s question for Jack Murtha:

Did you or did you not urge senior officials of the New York Times not to publish the offensive article?

*An ongoing investigation of Jack Murtha, brought to you by Diana Irey for Congress.

I didnt catch the news, but according to some FReepers, both Tom Kean and Lee Hamilton have been public with their criticism of the New York Slimes
sooo...

answer the question Jack
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of a straight answer, I'm sure he will answer to some variation of, "I was misinterpreted, taken out of context or misquoted." Typical for the left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: